The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Well it seems pretty clear that lostfan was talking specifically about Todd Akin's statements on abortion, so I'm not sure what he should be stopping.

It didn't seem clear to me. But then again I caain't reed.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
About abortion, sure, about anything else, hell no, so stop it.

I don't know what else you could see me talking about... Akin said it like a complete dumbass and invented his own version of biology, but aside from that, what he said with regards to abortion and rape is basically part of the GOP platform and has been for as long as I can remember.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Well it seems pretty clear that lostfan was talking specifically about Todd Akin's statements on abortion, so I'm not sure what he should be stopping.

He tried to back up his belief that abortion shouldn't be allowed in the case of rape and just sounded like a complete tool and he was talking out of his ass. But for the most part, if he hadn't sounded so f***ing dumb, a statement like that is pretty non-controversial for Republicans and wouldn't have made any noise.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
I don't know what else you could see me talking about... Akin said it like a complete dumbass and invented his own version of biology, but aside from that, what he said with regards to abortion and rape is basically part of the GOP platform and has been for as long as I can remember.

What Akin said, and what a majority of the GOP (not all of them) believe are completely different things.

That's like lumping all Democrats in the same boat as Nancy Pelosi. They're not all the same.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
What Akin said, and what a majority of the GOP (not all of them) believe are completely different things.

That's like lumping all Democrats in the same boat as Nancy Pelosi. They're not all the same.

The Republican party just adopted a Personhood amendment into their party platform. They're in completely agreement on abortion.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
The Republican party just adopted a Personhood amendment into their party platform. They're in completely agreement on abortion.

Again, what they adopted or believe is NOT the same as what Akin said, at all.

Explain the material differences on their abortion policies.

Akin's statement wasn't stating a policy opinion, it was stating a "fact" that was medically incorrect. He may be basing his abortion position on incorrect data, but that doesn't automatically mean that the position itself is faulty.

If somebody tells you the Cubs suck because the earth is flat, the fact that he's wrong about the earth being flat doesn't change the reality that the Cubs do actually suck.

I said that they're in complete agreement on abortion, and they are. No exceptions. Personhood amendments that would effectively outlaw many types of birth control as well as in-vitro.

The rest of the Republican party and Ryan in particular are being tied to Akin because they do not differ when it comes to policy.

Edited by StrangeSox

Obviously this is online as well. But I'd encourage you all to buy the most recent Atlantic for Ta-Nehisi Coates' Fear of a Black President article. Much props to the magazine for giving that much space. It was incredible.

Now, I love being home in this place where Ann and I were raised, where both of us were born. Ann was born in Henry Ford Hospital, I was born in Harper Hospital. No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.

Willard Mitt Romney, 8/24/12, in Michigan.

And the crowd, of course, went wild.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
Obviously this is online as well. But I'd encourage you all to buy the most recent Atlantic for Ta-Nehisi Coates' Fear of a Black President article. Much props to the magazine for giving that much space. It was incredible.

I thought this was particularly relevant in light of the OUTRAGE! over Chris Rock's 4th of July tweet:

On July 4, 1805, whites in Philadelphia drove blacks out of the square facing Independence Hall. For years thereafter, blacks attended Fourth of July festivities in that city at their peril. On July 4, 1834, a white mob in New York City burned down the Broadway Tabernacle because of the antislavery and anti­racist views of the church’s leaders. Firefighters in sympathy with the arsonists refused to douse the conflagration. On July 4, 1835, a white mob in Canaan, New Hampshire, destroyed a school open to blacks that was run by an abolitionist. The ante­bellum years were liberally dotted with such episodes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Mitt Romney's making birther charges and welfare queen attacks. Sweet, a full-on race-baiting campaign.

Watched, that video mentioned nothing of welfare queens, and the throwaway joke about a birth certificate? Really? Obama's made jokes such as that one on his own.

This is the problem with all of this rhetoric...people can twist it however they want, or take it however they want. Where you see a race-baiting campaign...I just don't. I see two rather craptastic candidates slinging mud back and forth like children.

But I guess that's because that's what you want to see.

Edited by Y2HH

Oh, also of note, this kind of thing is just as bad as Obama's campaign basically accusing Romney of killing a woman who had cancer 5 years after her husband was let go at Bain...

It's f***ing pathetic. I hate what this countries candidates have been turned into by the media...and by themselves and their s***ty party affiliations.

Politics sucks.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
Watched, that video mentioned nothing of welfare queens, and the throwaway joke about a birth certificate? Really? Obama's made jokes such as that one on his own.

This is the problem with all of this rhetoric...people can twist it however they want, or take it however they want. Where you see a race-baiting campaign...I just don't. I see two rather craptastic candidates slinging mud back and forth like children.

But I guess that's because that's what you want to see.

That video specifically did not mention welfare, but I was commenting on his campaign in general. The "he wants to gut welfare work requirements!" is tinged with racial animus in the same way that Gingrich's "food stamp President" was. This is borne out both historically in how welfare is attacked and in current polls and studies. Many white people, often the benefit of government programs themselves in some form or another, vastly overestimate both welfare benefits and who receives them and rationalize why aid to people like them is ok, but not to the "wrong kind of people."

It is one thing for Obama to make jokes about the birther who attempt to label him as a non-American other; it's quite another thing for Mitt Romney to do so and to rile up his crowds with it. It's a continued othering of Obama as not a real American, not like us. There is no way to extract the racism behind birtherism, and Mitt Romney's playing to that with these "throwaway jokes."

edit: tweet by Adam Serwer (mother jones writer) :laughing at birthers (Obama) and laughing with birthers (Mittens) are not, in fact, the same thing.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
That video specifically did not mention welfare, but I was commenting on his campaign in general. The "he wants to gut welfare work requirements!" is tinged with racial animus in the same way that Gingrich's "food stamp President" was.

not really. i don't see either as 'racially tinged'.

Many white people, often the benefit of government programs themselves

yep

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
You have to ignore an awful lot of both history and subtext to miss the racial aspects of "welfare queens" and birtherism.

you read too much into things. also, your post was racially tinged. bad.