• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
go read the ta-nehisi article in the atlantic that bmags mentioned

I've read it. It's a cliche Obama-apologist article. I was embarrassed for the author while reading it.

But I do like that the 'everyone is racist that doesn't vote Obama' will be the last desperate narrative for a campaign that is starting to realize they have a high probability of losing. I just don't think this narrative will work this time around.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Obviously this is online as well. But I'd encourage you all to buy the most recent Atlantic for Ta-Nehisi Coates' Fear of a Black President article. Much props to the magazine for giving that much space. It was incredible.

Wow it's very long but it's pretty amazing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
No incumbent President ever has a high probability of losing.

Most incumbents win. Romney is the challenger, he has to overcome a lot to win. He may win, but even the most optimistic Romney fan should consider him a coin flip at best.

Nate Silver's model has multiple inputs but I don't think "being the incumbent" is one of them. Nationally, the race is tight but state-by-state Obama holds a significant electoral college margin.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
that was good and you know it. also please see GOP thread for the rest of my reply.

It worked just about as well as Mitt Romney's laugh riot line about how everyone knows white people count as real americans.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Wow it's very long but it's pretty amazing.

Hard to pick a part to excerpt but:

What we are now witnessing is not some new and complicated expression of white racism—rather, it’s the dying embers of the same old racism that once rendered the best pickings of America the exclusive province of unblackness. Confronted by the thoroughly racialized backlash to Obama’s presidency, a stranger to American politics might conclude that Obama provoked the response by relentlessly pushing an agenda of radical racial reform. Hardly. Daniel Gillion, a political scientist at the University of Pennsylvania who studies race and politics, examined the Public Papers of the Presidents, a compilation of nearly all public presidential utterances—­proclamations, news-conference remarks, executive orders—and found that in his first two years as president, Obama talked less about race than any other Democratic president since 1961. Obama’s racial strategy has been, if anything, the opposite of radical: he declines to use his bully pulpit to address racism, using it instead to engage in the time-honored tradition of black self-hectoring, railing against the perceived failings of black culture.

His approach is not new. It is the approach of Booker T. Washington, who, amid a sea of white terrorists during the era of Jim Crow, endorsed segregation and proclaimed the South to be a land of black opportunity. It is the approach of L. Douglas Wilder, who, in 1986, not long before he became Virginia’s first black governor, kept his distance from Jesse Jackson and told an NAACP audience: “Yes, dear Brutus, the fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves … Some blacks don’t particularly care for me to say these things, to speak to values … Somebody’s got to. We’ve been too excusing.” It was even, at times, the approach of Jesse Jackson himself, who railed against “the rising use of drugs, and babies making babies, and violence … cutting away our opportunity.”

The strategy can work. Booker T.’s Tuskegee University still stands. Wilder became the first black governor in America since Reconstruction. Jackson’s campaign moved the Democratic nominating process toward proportional allocation of delegates, a shift that Obama exploited in the 2008 Democratic primaries by staying competitive enough in big states to rack up delegates even where he was losing, and rolling up huge vote margins (and delegate-count victories) in smaller ones.

And yet what are we to make of an integration premised, first, on the entire black community’s emulating the Huxt­ables? An equality that requires blacks to be twice as good is not equality—it’s a double standard. That double standard haunts and constrains the Obama presidency, warning him away from candor about America’s sordid birthmark.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
It worked just about as well as Mitt Romney's laugh riot line about how everyone knows white people count as real americans.

lol you read so much into nothing. there's a white racist behind every corner, out to get you (even though you're white).

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
lol you read so much into nothing. there's a white racist behind every corner, out to get you (even though you're white).

Please explain how that "joke" works at any other level than "Obama isn't a real American".

It shouldn't matter what race I am for me to be sickened by a guy joking that we should be more suspicious of people who look different.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Please explain how that "joke" works at any other level than "Obama isn't a real American".

It shouldn't matter what race I am for me to be sickened by a guy joking that we should be more suspicious of people who look different.

it was just a sarcastic birther joke. he would have said it about any democrat.

Obama's mom was with dudes all across the globe. she could have had Obama anywhere.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
it was just a sarcastic birther joke. he would have said it about any democrat.

Obama's mom was with dudes all across the globe. she could have had Obama anywhere.

Because making birther jokes is totally not racially based.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
it really isn't Balta. you are imagining things.

Which is why everyone asks for the birth certificate of the guy who was born in the Panama Canal zone. Or had a father born in Mexico. Those guys never got past those questions. Has nothing to do with assuming that a black guy must be illegitimate.