The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
You're the one who lied about avoiding taxes, not me.

Are you seriously taking this position?

Here is what I said:

I dont try and avoid paying taxes.

Call up your accountant and ask him if he thinks someone taking ONLY the standard deduction is "trying to avoid paying taxes", in their opinion.

LOL

This has to be a joke right? Because I never even said "I dont avoid paying taxes" I said "I DONT TRY" so I never lied.

The only liar here is you, alleging that I said something I didnt, go figure, someone who doesnt have an argument resorts to name calling and obscuring issues.

Once again, do you have a problem with standard deductions? Do you have anything to say about the current tax laws?

Or are you just going to snipe and make up bulls*** arguments that arent even accurate?

(edit)

Honestly, this is what is wrong with America. Instead of people trying to make productive change and fix broken issues, you have one side that just wants to name call and win semantic arguments.

YOU SAID THIS BUT THAT IS ONLY 99.9% TRUE SO YOU'RE A LIAR, WHO CARES ABOUT THE ACTUAL POINT!!!!

Come on, thats just a waste of everyone's time.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
Are you seriously taking this position?

Here is what I said:

Call up your accountant and ask him if he thinks someone taking ONLY the standard deduction is "trying to avoid paying taxes", in their opinion.

LOL

This has to be a joke right? Because I never even said "I dont avoid paying taxes" I said "I DONT TRY" so I never lied.

The only liar here is you, alleging that I said something I didnt, go figure, someone who doesnt have an argument resorts to name calling and obscuring issues.

Once again, do you have a problem with standard deductions? Do you have anything to say about the current tax laws?

Or are you just going to snipe and make up bulls*** arguments that arent even accurate?

(edit)

Honestly, this is what is wrong with America. Instead of people trying to make productive change and fix broken issues, you have one side that just wants to name call and win semantic arguments.

YOU SAID THIS BUT THAT IS ONLY 99.9% TRUE SO YOU'RE A LIAR, WHO CARES ABOUT THE ACTUAL POINT!!!!

Come on, thats just a waste of everyone's time.

Which is exactly what you have done to backtrack on what you originally said. Everyone avoids taxes in some manner.

Two Florida Republicans Want Law Allowing Gun Owners to Shoot 'Illegal' Voters

Just a few minutes earlier, two men who identified themselves as Robert Stevens and John Nelson had handed me a flyer. It explained that they wanted the state of Florida to pass a “Protect the Polls law” under which “anyone suspected of committing voter fraud can be fired upon – provided the weapon is registered and operated by its licensed owner.”

I outlined a scenario, “I’m a gun owner. I go to the polls. I have my gun. So, how does it work? There’s this guy who looks like an illegal alien, and he looks pretty shifty ...”

“And you shoot him,” Stevens said, cutting me off.

staregonk.gif

This paragraph:

That's a far cry from the complaint that the Obama labor market recovery has been too slow. In essence Ryan wants to run against Communism. And what better thing for a young man with a taste for Ayn Rand novels to aspire to than to some day be able to deliver the basic case for market capitalism before a live national television audience? But as Ryan somewhat awkwardly reminded us with talk of his iPod playlist, he's far too young to make a career as a cold warrior. So rather than calming down, he's arbitrarily decided to imbue the debate between spending at 18 percent of GDP and spending at 22 percent of GDP with the moral weight of the Berlin Wall.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/0..._cold_war_.html

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)
Which is exactly what you have done to backtrack on what you originally said. Everyone avoids taxes in some manner.

You are delusional.

Where did I backtrack?

You dont want to talk about problems, you just want to yell and scream about how things arent fair. Guess what, life isnt fair.

It just disgusts me that people can care so little about this country. You would rather think you won some stupid internet argument, than actually take the time to try and discuss a serious problem.

Just sad.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
You are delusional.

Where did I backtrack?

You dont want to talk about problems, you just want to yell and scream about how things arent fair. Guess what, life isnt fair.

It just disgusts me that people can care so little about this country. You would rather think you won some stupid internet argument, than actually take the time to try and discuss a serious problem.

Just sad.

I agree fully. Now stop blaming people for doing things that are perfectly legal, which you, yourself, partake in, because you don't like them. This countries biggest problem right now is that everyone thinks they are owed something, but they don't owe anything to anyone else. It is everyone else who owes. This country has set up an unsustainable spending structure. Taxing everyone above yourself isn't going to fix that problem.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
I agree fully. Now stop blaming people for doing things that are perfectly legal, which you, yourself, partake in, because you don't like them. This countries biggest problem right now is that everyone thinks they are owed something, but they don't owe anything to anyone else. It is everyone else who owes. This country has set up an unsustainable spending structure. Taxing everyone above yourself isn't going to fix that problem.

You know, I agree. We need to re-establish that these public goods are worth paying for. Nobody was paying for anything from 2000-2007 in a gov't or private sense. But on the national level I think our public programs are strong and worth paying for. I want to pay for them! However, revenue needs to be raised, and for the past 30 years if the wealthy have gotten good at doing anything it's not paying taxes. So we need to simplify that tax code to ensure they are at least paying something around 30%.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)

You dont even read my posts and you dont understand taxes because a standard deduction is legal.

I was referring to people who do things that are NOT LEGAL. Furthermore, I think that no one should get any deductions, no standard, no family, nothing.

And the bolded in your post was a terrible assumption on your part. My dad has owned a seat at the CME since pre-1980. Im not sure if Im technically 1%, but Im definitely top 5%. So please dont assume you have any idea about me, because its about taxing people like me and my family.

I dont think Im owed anything and I think I owe a lot to the US.

So dont assume, because you have no clue.

Just because you may believe you dont owe anything to the US, doesnt mean that there arent a lot of people out there who do. The only reason I exist is because of the US. The only reason that many of my family members are alive is because of the US. There is a reason why even though they are all top 1-5% they are all Democrats.

Its because no matter how much money they have, it can all be taken away by people who think they are "right".

As I said, its sad. You dont really want to fix it, you just want to get self-advantage. The problem is no different than fixing any other budget. You make X income, you spend Y dollars. If people arent willing to reduce Y, then you have to increase X. Since there is no way people like me would ever agree to cut welfare and other social programs and since others wont cut defense spending, the only solution is to increase income. Since the US income is basically tax revenue, you have to increase taxes.

Do you think I want to pay more money? Of course not. But this isnt about want, this is about need. The US needs the money and some generation is going to have to be the one who says "f*** it, its not fair that we have to pay for the failures of others, but we are going to fix this mess."

Sometimes to make things better you have to sacrifice.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
You dont even read my posts and you dont understand taxes because a standard deduction is legal.

I was referring to people who do things that are NOT LEGAL. Furthermore, I think that no one should get any deductions, no standard, no family, nothing.

And the bolded in your post was a terrible assumption on your part. My dad has owned a seat at the CME since pre-1980. Im not sure if Im technically 1%, but Im definitely top 5%. So please dont assume you have any idea about me, because its about taxing people like me and my family.

I dont think Im owed anything and I think I owe a lot to the US.

So dont assume, because you have no clue.

Just because you may believe you dont owe anything to the US, doesnt mean that there arent a lot of people out there who do. The only reason I exist is because of the US. The only reason that many of my family members are alive is because of the US. There is a reason why even though they are all top 1-5% they are all Democrats.

Its because no matter how much money they have, it can all be taken away by people who think they are "right".

As I said, its sad. You dont really want to fix it, you just want to get self-advantage. The problem is no different than fixing any other budget. You make X income, you spend Y dollars. If people arent willing to reduce Y, then you have to increase X. Since there is no way people like me would ever agree to cut welfare and other social programs and since others wont cut defense spending, the only solution is to increase income. Since the US income is basically tax revenue, you have to increase taxes.

Do you think I want to pay more money? Of course not. But this isnt about want, this is about need. The US needs the money and some generation is going to have to be the one who says "f*** it, its not fair that we have to pay for the failures of others, but we are going to fix this mess."

Sometimes to make things better you have to sacrifice.

Which according to your tax statement, you aren't willing to do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Which according to your tax statement, you aren't willing to do.

Actually that is incorrect. I dont claim many things I could claim.

Anyways this argument is pointless, if everyone only took the standard deduction it would greatly increase the US tax revenue. So what is your point again?

Do you take less than the standard deduction? Do you know anyone who takes less the standard deduction?

Because youve failed to show how Ive "tried to avoid paying taxes", when taking a standard deduction is "part of paying taxes."

I can hear people moving away from your party with every post you make. You just dont want to talk about solutions, you want to fight about nothing. You havent made a single substantive response in what 10 posts?

How is that even possible.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Actually that is incorrect. I dont claim many things I could claim.

Anyways this argument is pointless, if everyone only took the standard deduction it would greatly increase the US tax revenue. So what is your point again?

Do you take less than the standard deduction? Do you know anyone who takes less the standard deduction?

Because youve failed to show how Ive "tried to avoid paying taxes", when taking a standard deduction is "part of paying taxes."

I can hear people moving away from your party with every post you make. You just dont want to talk about solutions, you want to fight about nothing. You havent made a single substantive response in what 10 posts?

How is that even possible.

Nice trying to lawyer speak around your original post. At the end of the day you proved my point. People do everything they can to pay less taxes. If you want an honest discussion about it, drop the self-righteous and hypocritical hyperbole.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
Nice trying to lawyer speak around your original post. At the end of the day you proved my point. People do everything they can to pay less taxes. If you want an honest discussion about it, drop the self-righteous and hypocritical hyperbole.

Do you even read the posts, or do you just make up what you want?

I DO NOT DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO PAY LESS TAXES

I could reduce my tax liability to basically 0. I do not do that. I take the standard deduction, the exact opposite of doing everything I can to pay less taxes.

So once again, you proved jack because you do not understand what you are talking about. In fact you just proved my point.

Thanks!

Now let me make this real clear, I dont care about winning internet arguments. It does nothing for me. I made a statement, you could have easily started a conversation about the subject. You could have easily asked "Hey, why do you think people are avoiding taxes?." But instead you wanted to try win a stupid internet argument.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
Do you even read the posts, or do you just make up what you want?

I DO NOT DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO PAY LESS TAXES

I could reduce my tax liability to basically 0. I do not do that. I take the standard deduction, the exact opposite of doing everything I can to pay less taxes.

So once again, you proved jack because you do not understand what you are talking about. In fact you just proved my point.

Thanks!

Now let me make this real clear, I dont care about winning internet arguments. It does nothing for me. I made a statement, you could have easily started a conversation about the subject. You could have easily asked "Hey, why do you think people are avoiding taxes?." But instead you wanted to try win a stupid internet argument.

Its funny, but you can't walk away, mostly because you have to keep changing what you are saying to make it work with your point of view.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Its funny, but you can't walk away, mostly because you have to keep changing what you are saying to make it work with your point of view.

No I cant walk away because Im bored at work and your comments are doing more to prove my point than I ever could. You dont even have 1 single substantive comment. Not 1.

I can only imagine trying to fix something with you.

Badger: The roof is leaking, we shouldnt try and avoid paying Chicago sales tax so lets buy materials close by.

SS2K: But youre still paying taxes.

Badger: Yes Im just not going to Chicago Heights to avoid paying the higher Chicago rate.

SS2k: But youre still paying taxes.

Badger: Argh, you dont understand the point, who cares lets move on, the roof is still leaking.

SS2K: Youre a hypocrite.

Badger: How does that fix the leak?

SS2K: I didnt cause the leak.

Badger: Okay great, that still doesnt fix the problem.

SS2K: What problem I just won the argument.

Badger: The house is destroyed Im going home.

The end

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
No I cant walk away because Im bored at work and your comments are doing more to prove my point than I ever could. You dont even have 1 single substantive comment. Not 1.

I can only imagine trying to fix something with you.

Badger: The roof is leaking, we shouldnt try and avoid paying Chicago sales tax so lets buy materials close by.

SS2K: But youre still paying taxes.

Badger: Yes Im just not going to Chicago Heights to avoid paying the higher Chicago rate.

SS2k: But youre still paying taxes.

Badger: Argh, you dont understand the point, who cares lets move on, the roof is still leaking.

SS2K: Youre a hypocrite.

Badger: How does that fix the leak?

SS2K: I didnt cause the leak.

Badger: Okay great, that still doesnt fix the problem.

SS2K: What problem I just won the argument.

Badger: The house is destroyed Im going home.

The end

The funny thing is you have had nothing of substance either. Pointing fingers isn't contributing. It is the whole problem. But keep thinking it is about winning arguments, and keep missing the point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)

No, they don't. Most people go to some lengths to take deductions and reduce their tax burden. Very few people, even among the wealthy, go to the lengths that Romney has.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
The funny thing is you have had nothing of substance either. Pointing fingers isn't contributing. It is the whole problem. But keep thinking it is about winning arguments, and keep missing the point.

Actually I have. I said that the govt should raise taxes, the govt should eliminate deductions and the govt should work harder to crack down on illegal reporting.

How is that not substance to the issue?

Or are you unfamiliar with the words you are using?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
No, they don't. Most people go to some lengths to take deductions and reduce their tax burden. Very few people, even among the wealthy, go to the lengths that Romney has.

If the entire 1% were paying 100% in taxes, we would still be running deficits. I know that it won't get said in this thread, but taxation isn't our biggest problem here.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Actually I have. I said that the govt should raise taxes, the govt should eliminate deductions and the govt should work harder to crack down on illegal reporting.

How is that not substance to the issue?

Or are you unfamiliar with the words you are using?

Yeah, once you got busted lying, you tried changing the subject and made it into something it wasn't.

SB, how exactly is Romney doing something illegal? He's doing something that the federal government hasn't outlawed yet. That's not illegal, that's just smart.

Hypothetically if I were to not pay Illinois sales tax on Amazon purchases, you'd be claiming that i'm doing something illegal even though the federal gov't hasn't mandated that I do that (ignore the state law that is in the courts right now). How is me not paying that tax until i'm told to shady/unethical/illegal?