The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 03:59 AM)
You are inconsistent in your statements. You say you don't care what others believe, but the very next thing you post laments that too few people believe in God (i.e., you care what others think). It's not true, btw. A distressing recent Gallup poll noted that 45% of Americans have a basically creationist belief system, while another 35% believe in a God-directed evolutionary scheme (talk about a contradiction), and only 15% of Americans accept a secular view of organic evolution. Basically, the Goddies far outnumber the nonbelievers in America, no matter how loudly the poor persecuted believers insist otherwise.

I meant to say I don't care what he believes because I have no right to determine what he believes. As far as an entire society, sure I wish they all believed in God. But I didn't want to act as if I wanted him to follow my beliefs. He has the right to believe what he wants.

So do 80 percent believe in God? I don't understand your figures.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
I meant to say I don't care what he believes because I have no right to determine what he believes. As far as an entire society, sure I wish they all believed in God. But I didn't want to act as if I wanted him to follow my beliefs. He has the right to believe what he wants.

Yes, in the Gallup poll, 80% of respondents identified themselves as persons buying either a creationist view or at least a God-directed view of explaining life on earth.

I honestly greatly value the freedom we ostensibly have in this country to espouse any spiritual belief (or lack thereof) we care to espouse. The only time I get irritated is when any particular denomination decides they have the whole spirituality thing figured out and think their belief system trumps everyone else's.

I think a "good" Christian would hope that everyone believed in God and more specifically in the Christian way of life. As an American, they ought to hope that but not enforce it in any way.

I think no one should abort a child, but I realize that I have no way of proving in a legal way that it is wrong. Therefore, laws banning abortion disgust me because I know it is an inappropriate restriction. Nonetheless, in my own private situations I'd avoid abortion if at all possible.

Same thing. Your private hopes and desires don't have to become policy. You can be a Christian that loves heterosexual marriage and dislikes the idea of gay marriage...but IMO you have no grounds for legislating against gay marriage. You can simply not like it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 11:42 PM)

You also question why I don't believe.

I believe in science and fact, none of which supports religion.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
so Greg, if everyone believed in God what would really change about our society? You come off sounding like people are below you if they don't believe in your God.

I don't mean to say they are below me. I think if people believed in God they would not be as selfish as they are and they would make better decisions for the betterment of all. I definitely think it'd be a kinder, gentler America.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
You also question why I don't believe.

I believe in science and fact, none of which supports religion.

There still could be somebody in charge of it all no matter what theory you have on creation IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
I don't mean to say they are below me. I think if people believed in God they would not be as selfish as they are and they would make better decisions for the betterment of all. I definitely think it'd be a kinder, gentler America.

There still could be somebody in charge of it all no matter what theory you have on creation IMO.

Some of the most selfish people in the world believe in God.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)

What is interesting is that I think people would be less selfish and make better decisions if there was no god. Too many people think that they can do whatever they want "in the name of god" or they dont worry about worldly consequences because "I am going to heaven anyways."

Two different opinions on the same issue.

It was worth the 5hr wait in line yesterday, and now my wife and I have tickets in hand to see President Obama tomorrow during his campaign stop here in my adopted FL town at my grad school alma mater. Very exciting!

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
Seriously? holy s***, I meant to upload that to Facebook, not Soxtalk. No idea why the f*** I did that on Soxtalk for. BAHAHAHA

You are a FB addict. There is something wrong with you.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Are people who respond to polls just giant trolls? They have to be, right? Right?

When asked, between Obama and Romney, who was more responsible for bin Ladens death, Republicans answered

38% Obama

15% Romney

47% Not Sure

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/201...ase_OH_9912.pdf

I can totally buy plenty of people picking "Not Sure" since they may think neither had much impact compared to the DoD, JSOC, the actual servicemen who did it, whatever. But picking Romney? Heh.