The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

The Obama campaign is supposedly saying off the record that they're quite pissed at Senator McCain for his little security related flub yesterday.

While refusing to confirm or deny anything about Obama's schedule, his aides were furious with McCain's comment. They noted every major news outlet has resisted speculating on the timing or location of Obama's war-zone maneuvers out of safety concerns.

As of late Friday, it remained unclear if McCain's information is correct.

Former Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, a decorated Vietnam vet and big Obama backer, said he was "surprised" by McCain's apparent breach of protocol.

"I've been around enough of these trips to know that I'm leery of saying anything for security reasons. End of story," Kerry told the Daily News.

Aides to McCain insisted their boss wasn't saying anything that hadn't been publicly reported. They pointed to a Baghdad dispatch Friday afternoon from MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell, who indicated Obama would be arriving in Iraq "shortly," although she explicitly did not mention any specific days.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So which is it?

The MSM is Fair:

Asked whether he believes he’d had unfair media coverage, McCain replied: “I don't think so. I think …it is what it is. I'm a big boy. And I'm enjoying every minute of the campaigning. And I'm certainly not complaining. And, in fact, I think it’s fun to watch."

The MSM is Fawning over Obama:

McCain mocks the media, trying to coax the creaky conservative grievance apparatus back to life, overwhelmed as it is presently by its liberal counterpart.

"It's pretty obvious that the media has a bizarre fascination with Barack Obama. Some may even say it's a love affair. We want you to be the judge. We've compiled two videos of the more outrageous moments of this not so secret love affair," says the campaign email to supporters. "The media is in love with Barack Obama. If it wasn't so serious, it would be funny."

Pick a side John!! Dont play good cop / bad cop.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

McCain Makes False Claims On Iraq Timeline

In an interview with CBS News' Katie Couric tonight, John McCain made the false assertion that the Surge brought about the so-called Anbar Awakening. Except, as MSNBC"s Keith Olbermann points out, the Surge was announced after the Awakening.

HuffPost blogger Ilan Goldenberg points out that this is not some minor gaffe, but a fundamental misunderstanding of the Iraq situation:

Thi
s
i
s
not controver
s
ial hi
s
tory. It i
s
hi
s
tory that anyone trying out for Commander and Chief mu
s
t under
s
tand when there are 150,000 American troop
s
s
tationed in Iraq. It i
s
an ab
s
olutely e
s
s
ential element to the
s
tory of the pa
s
t two year
s
. YOU CANNOT GET THI
S
WRONG. Moreover, what i
s
mo
s
t di
s
turbing i
s
that according to McCain'
s
inaccurate ver
s
ion of hi
s
tory, military force came fir
s
t and
s
olved all of our problem
s
. If that i
s
the le
s
s
on he ta
k
e
s
from the Anbar Awa
k
ening, I am afraid it i
s
the le
s
s
on he will apply to every other cri
s
i
s
he face
s
including, for example, Iran.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)

What's also missing from your post is that it seems CBS actually expunged the wrong answer for McCain. They showed Couric asking the question that he gave that false answer to, but instead of showing the actual response to that question, they edited out his error and showed part of the answer to a different question instead, thus cutting out the error from their actual broadcast.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
What's also missing from your post is that it seems CBS actually expunged the wrong answer for McCain. They showed Couric asking the question that he gave that false answer to, but instead of showing the actual response to that question, they edited out his error and showed part of the answer to a different question instead, thus cutting out the error from their actual broadcast.

good catch. yes, the below video covers it pretty well. That MIGHT be some of the worst journalism ever. You dont ask one question than insert a response to a different answer.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
So which is it?

The MSM is Fair:

Asked whether he believes he’d had unfair media coverage, McCain replied: “I don't think so. I think …it is what it is. I'm a big boy. And I'm enjoying every minute of the campaigning. And I'm certainly not complaining. And, in fact, I think it’s fun to watch."

The MSM is Fawning over Obama:

McCain mocks the media, trying to coax the creaky conservative grievance apparatus back to life, overwhelmed as it is presently by its liberal counterpart.

"It's pretty obvious that the media has a bizarre fascination with Barack Obama. Some may even say it's a love affair. We want you to be the judge. We've compiled two videos of the more outrageous moments of this not so secret love affair," says the campaign email to supporters. "The media is in love with Barack Obama. If it wasn't so serious, it would be funny."

Pick a side John!! Dont play good cop / bad cop.

What's your point? All he's saying is that 1, he doesn't think he's unfairly treated in the media, and 2, the media loves obama. So?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Really?

The bag tags being distributed to McCain's travelling pack of reporters this week.

He should keep complaining about press coverage and do things like this. That should get him more positive coverage.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)

McCain cancels only press avail this week:

Despite the press crowd around Obama, McCain's avail today was the one with more promise to make news:

He hasn't explained what he meant by juggling the timeline on the surge and Awakening (though his staff did the best salvage job possible); whether he meant that Obama was deliberately selling out the country; whether he shares his campaign's grievance with the press; or what he thinks of his staff's genocide-themed attack.

And now he's canceled the avail.

Talk about dodging pressure.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
He should keep complaining about press coverage and do things like this. That should get him more positive coverage.

Now that I think about it, maybe his now former adviser Graham was referring to the McCain camp as whiners and not the American populace.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
What's your point? All he's saying is that 1, he doesn't think he's unfairly treated in the media, and 2, the media loves obama. So?

so the media loves Obama, but still is covering things fairly. THEY WHY COMPLAIN? They are being fair. Who cares?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
so the media loves Obama, but still is covering things fairly. THEY WHY COMPLAIN? They are being fair. Who cares?

I guess I don't see any whining or complaining, I see him stating the obvious.

I think you're reading too much into it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)

Great comment from a digg poster:

McCain
s
ay
s
(a)
s
omething in the morning, before brea
k
fa
s
t, (B) the oppo
s
ite after brea
k
fa
s
t,
©
the original thing after lunch, and (d) can't remember what he
s
aid before dinner.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)

Didn't the McCain campaign just release a new ad that complains how much the media loves Obama? Talk about the ultimate whining.

If the media wasnt so busy covering Obama overseas, they might actually pickup on McCain's growing list of mistakes and questionable comments:

Pro-Vets McCain Suggests Rationing Vets Health Care

Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain appeared Tuesday to suggest rationing of veterans' health care may be needed so combat veterans can receive the care they deserve.

At a town hall meeting in Dover, N.H., McCain talked about the need to "concentrate" veterans' health care on people with injuries that "are a direct result of combat."

"Right now, there are people who drive a long way and they stand in line to stand in line to get an appointment to get an appointment," McCain said.

ArmyTimes:

Part of the reason McCain has opposed increases in veterans’ spending is his strongly held position against wasteful spending that often leads him to oppose any increase over the executive branch’s budget request.

While McCain’s votes — particularly votes against increasing the VA budget — have sometimes left him at odds with some veterans and major veterans’ service organizations, the political action committee of Veterans of Foreign Wars, the nation’s largest group of combat veterans, has endorsed McCain for every election since 1984, according to FactCheck.org

Obama Makes $5 Million Olympics Ad Buy

It's official. Sen. Barack Obama's campaign will be among the TV sponsors of NBC Universal's Olympics coverage. In the first significant network-TV buy of any presidential candidate in at least 16 years, the Obama campaign has taken a $5 million package of Olympics spots that includes network TV as well as cable ads.

According to NBC's political file, the campaign had initially requested information about 500,000, $2 million and $4 million package of Olympics spots. The network also offered the candidate a $10 million package.

Colin L. Powell, Advising Obama?

Another person who has contributed outside advice is former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, whom Mr. Obama has been wooing. Mr. Powell, a Republican, has a friendship of decades with Mr. McCain, but friends say he has felt excluded from Mr. McCain’s foreign policy operation and was impressed when Mr. Obama called on him in June. Mr. Powell also met around the same time with Mr. McCain.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
I respect Powell more than most Washington insiders. If he jumps onto the Obama bus, that would actually win some points for Obama, in my view. And it would probably also be a little help on the campaign trail.

If only people had listened to Powell, taken him seriously, and realized that he (and maybe Rice) were the only ones in that administration that weren't bats*** crazy. Bush probably would've had a successful presidency.