The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
Refinary issues are adding another 50-60 cents on top of where prices should be. With futures at $2.80 right now, our prices in Indiana would usually be around $3.40 to $3.50. We are at $4.15.

This has something to do with it also, but the fact we have high gas taxes AND sales taxes on top of that makes a difference, too.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
This has something to do with it also, but the fact we have high gas taxes AND sales taxes on top of that makes a difference, too.

People know Chicago is more expensive than surrounding areas and already account for that. The problem is the extra 60 cents over those normal spreads. That is what people are b****ing about. People get the whole taxation in Chicago thing. That has been going on for decades.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
People know Chicago is more expensive than surrounding areas and already account for that. The problem is the extra 60 cents over those normal spreads. That is what people are b****ing about. People get the whole taxation in Chicago thing. That has been going on for decades.

That's the thing, in addition to any excuses, refinery issues or supply issues they can come up with, which add 50-60 cents per gallon, in Chicago, add another 60 cents per gallon in taxes, that's easily over a dollar.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
That's the thing, in addition to any excuses, refinery issues or supply issues they can come up with, which add 50-60 cents per gallon, in Chicago, add another 60 cents per gallon in taxes, that's easily over a dollar.

I promise you that SS gets taxes in Chicago. He is a Democrat and from the area. He is all about taxes.

Chicago taxes have nothing to do with the fact that gas in Indy is over $4.00 per gallon and are .50 to .60 per gallon higher than they should be. This current spike in prices is all because of the refinery issues.

I wasn't even talking about Chicago's ridiculous prices. Gas is 4.39 out in the non-Cook suburbs as well. It was 3.29 in Florence, S.C. and 3.89 in Key West last week. Listing federal taxes is pretty silly since that's obviously uniform. You'll also have to show me other states' (specifically, SC and FL) taxes if you want to attribute any of the difference to taxation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
I promise you that SS gets taxes in Chicago. He is a Democrat and from the area. He is all about taxes.

I've never lived in Chicago! And haven't lived in Cook since I was about 8. Also not exactly a Democrat!

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
Chicago taxes have nothing to do with the fact that gas in Indy is over $4.00 per gallon and are .50 to .60 per gallon higher than they should be. This current spike in prices is all because of the refinery issues.

Since taxes are based on %, they absolutely have something to do with it. You pay well over 10% in sales tax on top of the "total", as I've said, refinery issues and any other excuses they can come up matter, too, but the highest sales tax in the country don't help the matter.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:53 PM)
Since taxes are based on %, they absolutely have something to do with it. You pay well over 10% in sales tax on top of the "total", as I've said, refinery issues and any other excuses they can come up matter, too, but the highest sales tax in the country don't help the matter.

(Actually, it probably does "Help the matter" when there's a refinery outage by having already been taken into account when people purchased vehicles, pushing demand down slightly).

Rick Santorum thinks the RNC botched the "You Didn't Build That" thing

“One after another, they talked about the business they had built. But not a single—not a single —factory worker went out there,” Santorum said at the Faith & Freedom Coalition conference in Washington, as quoted by Politico. “Not a single janitor, waitress or person who worked in that company! We didn’t care about them. You know what? They built that company too! And we should have had them on that stage.”

So in other words, they are supposed to completely agree with Obama and make his entire point for him. Moron.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Rick Santorum thinks the RNC botched the "You Didn't Build That" thing

“One after another, they talked about the business they had built. But not a single—not a single —factory worker went out there,” Santorum said at the Faith & Freedom Coalition conference in Washington, as quoted by Politico. “Not a single janitor, waitress or person who worked in that company! We didn’t care about them. You know what? They built that company too! And we should have had them on that stage.”

So in other words, they are supposed to completely agree with Obama and make his entire point for him. Moron.

LOL

I actually thought that comment would be far more damaging than it was. I agree with the sentiment, but it's usually hard to clarify something that sounds so awful on its face.

The funny thing is that Santorum's idea might have worked. Obama's concept was so good that they probably could have stolen it and pretended it was theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

No one was paying attention, but it turns out that the real scandal out of the additional IRS Scrutiny for 501©4 groups is why the Inspector General released a report stating that only conservative groups were being singled out.

The instructions that Internal Revenue Service officials used to look for applicants seeking tax-exempt status with “Tea Party” and “Patriots” in their titles also included groups whose names included the words “Progressive” and “Occupy,” according to I.R.S. documents released Monday.

The documents appeared to back up contentions by I.R.S. officials and some Democrats that the agency did not intend to single out conservative groups for special scrutiny. Instead, the documents say, officials were trying to use “key word” shortcuts to find overtly political organizations — both liberal and conservative — that were after tax favors by saying they were social welfare organizations.

But the practice appeared to go much farther than that. One such “be on the lookout” list included medical marijuana groups, organizations that were promoting President Obama’s health care law, and applications that dealt “with disputed territories in the Middle East.”

Taken together, the documents seem to change the terms of a scandal that exploded over accusations that the I.R.S. had tried to stifle a nascent conservative political movement. Instead, the dispute now revolves around questionable sorting tactics used by I.R.S. application screeners.

The acting I.R.S. commissioner, Daniel I. Werfel, formally ordered an end to all such “lookout” lists on Monday when he issued an assessment of the controversy that has led to harsh criticism of the nation’s tax collector.

And of course, the end result, as predicted, is that the IRS no longer has the ability to use any reasonable judgment in trying to guess whether or not a group has lied when requesting legal advice regarding 501©4 status, and the end result will be that all such groups are rubber-stamped.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 25, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
Most important section of the vra rules unconstitutional. f*** this dumb country.

Throwing out preclearance when it has worked and is continuing to work to stop discriminatory changes is like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet.
-Ginsberg

texas is wasting no time in moving forward with new and exciting voter id laws that were previously prevented in pre-clearance review!

Now that the VRA is no longer the overwhelming success that it was in preventing race-based discriminatory voting laws, does that mean it's magically constitutional again?

Roberts' wonderful opinion that lays out a legal case for state sovereignty on this issue doesn't even mention the 15th amendment when making that argument.

Dems in Texas sucessfully delay to end of session that was to end at 12 AM to stop anti-abortion bill from passing. Many reports coming out, though, that they held the vote after midnight. They are asking legislators to their faces whether they voted or it passed and nobody seems to know.

Dustin Parkes ‏@dustinparkes 12m

Sorry Miami Heat. After the buzzer sounded, San Antonio made ten straight buckets and are now NBA champs. #TexasRules

Edited by Jake

Well, that's one form of legalized discrimination dead.

Yeah, but Kennedy's majority opinion referenced the "states' rights to define marriage" at least a dozen times, so don't get your hopes up on the Prop 8 ruling.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
Yeah, but Kennedy's majority opinion referenced the "states' rights to define marriage" at least a dozen times, so don't get your hopes up on the Prop 8 ruling.

That suggests you won't get a ruling that is wide-ranging but Prop 8 could still die on standing issues or on "taking away rights" issues.

I never really expected them to legalize it nationwide in the Prop 8 case.

scalia's doma dissent is hilarious in how horrible it is. what a terrible person.

especially in light of Shelby County's ruling yesterday that gutted the VRA.

It is an assertion of judicial supremacy over the people’s Representatives in Congress and the Executive. It envisions a Supreme Court standing (or rather enthroned) at the apex of government, empowered to decide all constitutional questions, always and everywhere “primary” in its role.

now juxtapose this against his statements during oral arguments in Shelby that this is exactly what the court should do because Congress can't because they're actually accountable to the electorate.

Edited by StrangeSox