The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
So how do we prevent that sort of accounting fraud?

We pretend it isn't happening and then bail out the banks when its revealed.

And this one isn't sarcastic at all. We look the other way and then the government covers the losses.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching the House GOP try and work is almost funny. They're good with passing the Ryan budget so long as it's an abstract theory, but when it comes time to cut funding during the appropriations process and they see how much they have to cut, they balk, and have to yank the bill from the floor. It's basically impossible for them to govern (since relying on Democratic votes is a non-starter).

Apparently weed will fry your brain. And weed activists will completely counteract what you're trying to teach your children, or something like that. The only even remotely valid point he makes is that people want weed legalized for recreational, and not medical, purposes. Unfortunately for him, I think everyone already knew that.

This was the best part:

Do you know why we don't see potheads out in public? It's because they're sitting at home smoking weed and staring at their television sets or playing video games all day. Do you have any idea how many marijuana addicts I encounter at my rehab on a daily basis? They talk about wanting to be productive. But what pot does is it kills their motivation -- it destroys people's ability to go out and work and to have a career. It makes them want to do nothing but lie around all day. Is that what you want for your children? Is that what you want for your loved ones?
Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 02:27 AM)
I haven't heard this before. Just among millennials, or across all groups?

I'd have to find the graph again, b/c i'm not sure if it was a dynamic graph on "actually using" or "i have used marijuana more than x" but millenials were about 10-12% less than age group of 40-49

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
I'd have to find the graph again, b/c i'm not sure if it was a dynamic graph on "actually using" or "i have used marijuana more than x" but millenials were about 10-12% less than age group of 40-49

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I'd be interested in that graph/their metrics.

In the WSJ, via Volokh

Public Defenders Fall to the Sequester

Steep budget cuts compromise the justice system and won't save money in the long run.

due to the combination of general budget austerity and sequestration, the federal public defender system—a model of effective indigent defense for the past 40 years—is being decimated. As former federal judges from opposite ends of the ideological spectrum, we both understand that these shortsighted cuts threaten not only to cripple the federal defender system, but to disrupt the entire federal judiciary—without producing the promised cost savings.

A decrease of nearly 10% in the federal public defender budget for 2013 has already resulted in layoffs and up to 20 days of furloughs in many federal defender offices. In a number of states, federal courts have been forced to delay criminal cases because of public defender furloughs and layoffs. . . .

These steep budget cuts will not save us money in the long term. Delays in trials require many defendants to spend more time in costly pretrial detention facilities. But the flow of criminal prosecutions has not abated, so the unavailability of public defenders will simply force courts to engage private attorneys more frequently. Most federal judicial districts have a public defender office and, in those districts, it is more cost effective to have the office handle a majority of cases.

Reducing funding for federal defender budgets means that the remaining federal defenders have less time and fewer resources with which to investigate cases, conduct legal research and hire expert witnesses. This loss severely compromises their ability to represent their client at trial, destroying the adversarial process at the heart of our system. Without balanced, vigorously litigated cases, wrongful convictions may become more common, imprisoning the innocent and allowing the guilty to walk free.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
About dam time.

(Apparently for some reason he seems to have felt his legal position was improved while he was still in office and there was some sort of settlement agreement reached last night, so his resignation announcement was part of that settlement or followed it immediately).

CIA admits that it orchestrated the coup to topple the democratically elected president of Iran in 1953.

The C.I.A. has admitted orchestrating the 1953 coup that toppled Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh of Iran after he tried to nationalize his country’s oil wealth, which was controlled by Britain, according to a declassified document. The agency’s role in the coup has long been known, but George Washington University’s National Security Archive, which obtained the document under the Freedom of Information Act, said it was the most explicit C.I.A. admission yet. In 2000, Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright admitted that the United States had “played a significant role.” President Obama made a similar admission in 2009.