• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
I dont go to jail if I refuse to give a private company my money.

If you stay on their land and use their resources however, they're very likely to bill you for it, or have you arrested for trespassing. Are you currently located within the territorial borders of the United States?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
If you stay on their land and use their resources however, they're very likely to bill you for it, or have you arrested for trespassing. Are you currently located within the territorial borders of the United States?

He already pays taxes for the use of those other things.

So much for government by and for the people. Im resigned to the fact that were seen as mere subjects by our rulers, Im always surprised though when people are proud of that dynamic.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
So much for government by and for the people. Im resigned to the fact that were seen as mere subjects by our rulers, Im always surprised though when people are proud of that dynamic.

I'm one of those people. You're using my resources too.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)

I know Republicans are trying to suppress the vote as much as possible, but I missed when we abandoned democracy. I could have sworn I heard about some big elections at the state and local levels today?

And a private company would have the right to determine what the appropriate rate would be to use the benefits it provides, yes?

Except a competing private conpany, in a perfect world without state endorsed oligopolies, will keep them honest by offering identical services at lower prices.

Government just tells us how much something costs then forces us at gunpoint to buy it.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Except a competing private conpany, in a perfect world without state endorsed oligopolies, will keep them honest by offering identical services at lower prices.

Government just tells us how much something costs then forces us at gunpoint to buy it.

There are zero laws requiring you to stay in this country.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
And a private company would have the right to determine what the appropriate rate would be to use the benefits it provides, yes?

That's not quite the same.

I know Republicans are trying to suppress the vote as much as possible, but I missed when we abandoned democracy. I could have sworn I heard about some big elections at the state and local levels today?

Im referring to Balta's use of "their" instead of "our", a freudian slip that really speaks volumes about how statist his philosophy is.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)

Monopolistic control of a market is the goal and end-point for any capitalist firm. Go back to less-regulated times (Gilded Age) to see how much competition there really was.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
Monopolistic control of a market is the goal and end-point for any capitalist firm. Go back to less-regulated times (Gilded Age) to see how much competition there really was.

This isn't really true anymore...because the second you get dubbed a monopoly, you are shattered into tiny pieces now.

Laws changed this view pretty drastically.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
This isn't really true anymore...because the second you get dubbed a monopoly, you are shattered into tiny pieces now.

Laws changed this view pretty drastically.

Duke is arguing for a "perfect world" free of government interference. You know, no more pesky, freedom-killing things like anti-trust laws.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
I know, thats one of the things that bothers me when I wonder why liberals didnt just move instead of having to stay here and ruin America.

Yes, but on the flip side of that coin, there are also zero laws that say other countries have to take you.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
Im referring to Balta's use of "their" instead of "our", a freudian slip that really speaks volumes about how statist his philosophy is.

You do realize you're the one who used the example of a "private company" first, right? And that I was following your exact example?

I know corporations are people in this country but as far as I know I'm not incorporated, so in the example you used, "their" is the correct terminology to refer to corporations which I am not a part of.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Duke is arguing for a "perfect world" free of government interference. You know, no more pesky, freedom-killing things like anti-trust laws.

Oh, so he wants Ma Bell back...

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Oh, so he wants Ma Bell back...

The ultimate irony is that limited-liability corporations, the foundation of modern capitalism, are entirely a creation of government. They are intangible entities that only exist because legal documents say they exist.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Um...yeah, that already happened.

Almost, but not quite.

We have some competition these days, in the form of ATT vs Verizon vs Sprint vs Tmobile vs US Cellular, etc...

That's better than, say...having JUST AT&T.

You're cell phone bill would be 1k a month right now if that was the case.