• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:24 AM)
So I was at the Illinois State building (69 W. Washington) where they have early voting in the basement, there were long lines. It was pretty interesting to see just how many people seem to be voting early, I think voter turnout may be really high this year.

I feel like early voting was to avoid long lines.

Campaign donor's giving raises questions

Little known about man who has sent thousands to GOP

By Andrew Zajac, Ray Gibson and Bob Secter | Tribune reporters

October 29, 2008

Big campaign donors typically come with deep pockets and influence. But in Illinois this election cycle, no one not running for office himself has given more to the nation's federal campaigns than Shi Sheng Hao of Roselle, a virtual unknown in business and political circles.

Before September 2007, Hao's name had never appeared in the 15-year-old federal database of campaign contributors. Since then, however, his donations have topped $120,000 — including $70,100 on a single June day to Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

Over the same time frame, a network of Hao relatives has kicked in more. The take from this group over the last 13 months exceeds $269,000, a small amount to Democrats but most of it to McCain and the Republican National Committee, records show.

Hao didn't register to vote at the northwest suburban address attached to his donations until October 2007, a month after he wrote his first political check, $25,000 to the RNC.

The circumstances surrounding Hao's sudden and prolific political activism are curious and his whereabouts unclear. His name isn't listed on property records or the mailbox at the unassuming tract home listed on his donations. Hao lives "overseas," insisted a man who answered the door at the Roselle home recently. The man declined to identify himself.

So who is Shi Sheng Hao, and what are his means and motives for becoming a mega-donor? No one answers a telephone listed in his name in the 630 area code, and there's no answering machine. Messages left for him by phone and e-mail with several relatives went unanswered.

But this much can be gleaned from public records:

Donation disclosures list his occupation as a businessman with entities identified only by slightly different acronyms: ADECC, AAEC, A.A.E.C.C. On some he is also listed as president of American Chinese Entertainment Ltd.

Hao and his wife, Hsin-Ning, declared bankruptcy in 1995, at the time using the Roselle home as an address and listing as a business a firm called Asian American Environmental Control.

Hao holds an Illinois driver's license that lists his address as the Roselle home, but property records show the four-bedroom house has been owned since 1992 by Robert and Jen Chi, and their last name is on the mailbox. Contacted at the Des Plaines marketing firm where she works, Jen Chi said she didn't want to discuss Hao, though she said she knew how to get in touch with him and would have him call the Tribune. He never did.

Full Article

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
Heh. Maybe he should go knock on that dude's door and see what the deal is.

LOL! On my way!

Wait, we live in the same town. by McCain definition, we are cohorts in crime. Time to move back to Schaumburg... but it may be too late.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
Sarah Palin can not go away soon enough.

Governor Sarah Palin is the subject of a new ethics complaint, according to a new document obtained by CBS News.

This time, she's being questioned for charging the state for her children's travel expenses.

The complaint, filed last Friday by a retired lineman in Anchorage, accuses her of Misuse of Official Position: “Gov. Palin attempted to and in fact did use her official position for personal gain by securing unwarranted benefits for her daughters...” All allegations are related to state reimbursed trave

“Palin ran on the platform of ethics, transparency and anti-corruption. I’m tired of the hypocrisy that exists in Government and people need to know the truth,” Frank Gwartney, the ex-linebacker, told CBS.

Palin's three daughters have accrued $32,629 travel expenses, while her husband has booked another $22,174. In sum, the travel reimbursements to Palin's family have totaled $54,803.

Bristol, Piper and Willow, Palin’s daughters, accrued $32,629 in travel expenses while Palin’s husband Todd raked up $22,174 - all billed to the state for a total of $54,803.00.

And Elizabeth Dole actually approved this message:

Dole's 30-second ad, which is running on television in North Carolina but has not (understandably) been promoted by the GOP, uses a September fundraiser co-hosted by 40 people, including a representative of the Godless America PAC, to falsely accuse Democrat Kay Hagan of being an atheist herself.

The end of the ad features a picture of Hagan with a female voice yelling "there is no God!" -- the clear implication is that the voice is Hagan's. In fact, the Democratic candidate is a Sunday School teacher and an elder at her Presbyterian church.

The Charlotte Observer reported Wednesday morning that Hagan's campaign is seeking a "cease and desist" order against Dole's new attack.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
you betch ya

I nearly fell out of my chair reaching for the Tivo remote when I first saw that wink in the debate, not quite believing what I'd seen.

That's a very effective way of hitting the economy and the "Palin factor" in a single blow, and they managed to do it from the relative high road, without saying a single word, let alone any negative ones.

All that money is obviously being used to pay some very talented and creative people.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
The only thing I see that's really silly there is the red in Indiana, given the grey everywhere else.

Giving McCain Indiana (which is actually averaging Obama +1 something) and not giving Obama a state like Michigan, where he's up +17, just doesn't make any sense. He's up by double-digits in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota, too.

North Carolina is currently polling Obama +1.3 as well, and he has that for McCain.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Giving McCain Indiana (which is actually averaging Obama +1 something) and not giving Obama a state like Michigan, where he's up +17, just doesn't make any sense. He's up by double-digits in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota, too.

North Carolina is currently polling Obama +1.3 as well, and he has that for McCain.

BillO's too busy being a dumbass to update his map probably. Either that or he threw a loofah at his webmaster and she quite.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
The only thing I see that's really silly there is the red in Indiana, given the grey everywhere else.

By the standards he's using to put places like IA, MI, PA, and OR in grey, then you'd have to put places like MT, AZ, NC, the Dakotas, and GA in grey also if you're just going by the margins in polling data.

Unless of course a 10 point lead for 1 candidate was considered less valid than a 5 point lead for the other candidate.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)

I didn't realize some of those Midwest states had broken by that much. I'd color anything in single digits grey.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
I didn't realize some of those Midwest states had broken by that much. I'd color anything in single digits grey.

RCP:

Indiana : Obama +1.4

Iowa: Obama +11.1

Michigan: Obama +17

Minnesota: Obama +11.3

Missouri: Obama +0.6

Ohio: Obama +5.8

Pennsylvania: Obama +11

Wisconsin: Obama +10.6

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
RCP:

Indiana : Obama +1.4

Iowa: Obama +11.1

Michigan: Obama +17

Minnesota: Obama +11.3

Missouri: Obama +0.6

Ohio: Obama +5.8

Pennsylvania: Obama +11

Wisconsin: Obama +10.6

Thanks, that's a remarkable list. PA in particular.