The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

Surprised there hasn't been any talk of the defense budget cuts yet.

I've been wanting the military budget slashed for years. Admittedly, I don't much about the proposal beyond cutting the Army to pre-WWII levels (though not quite that low, IIRC). However, I'm totally down with a smaller military, which seems like the end result here.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm interested in how it all can work out. Since Reagan, we've used military spending as stimulus. It will be interesting to see how much we can remove from the defense budget without putting people out of work.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 25, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
I'm interested in how it all can work out. Since Reagan, we've used military spending as stimulus. It will be interesting to see how much we can remove from the defense budget without putting people out of work.

That's definitely a difficult question, and one I'm not sure has a good answer.

Move all the military money/jobs to building roads and schools.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Move all the military money/jobs to building roads and schools.

People don't like that stuff. Especially education spending. Too much hostility towards teachers.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)
But everyone hates the gays!

Yes, Texas was just on the verge of repealing their ban before this federal ruling, and we definitely don't have a bunch of states formally legalizing anti-gay bigotry.

Good job refuting your own terrible argument.

Paul Ryan: Free School Lunch Means Poor Parents Don't Care About Kids

Of course it turns out that the 'anecdote' that was central to his speech wasn't from some Scott Walker staffer but lifted from a book; also, it wasn't about government-subsidized lunches.

The paper-bag lunch story is from a 2011 book about a hungry, panhandling kid in New York City. http://www.aninvisiblethread.com/about

And the kid in the book wasn’t turning down gov’t subsidized lunches at school, he was reacting to a private benefactor’s offer to pay for his cafeteria lunches at school.

Gawker has some more:

Ryan later played along with that account, saying in a Facebook post that he regrets "failing to verify the original source of the story."

What he doesn't seem to regret, however, is the fact that in stealing Maurice's story, he and Anderson used it to s*** on everything he stands for today. They divorced it from the kindness he received and accepted. Their honesty problem isn't about attribution; it's about exploitation.

The Post also points out that Maurice and his onetime benefactor, Laura Schroff, "are partnering with a group called No Kid Hungry to help end childhood hunger in the United States. One key part of the program is connecting hungry kids with federal programs such as school lunches and food stamps."

For feeding hungry kids, against feeding hungry kids, what the hell is the difference? The important thing is: He wanted a brown paper bag. Vote Republican!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeppers. Thankfully we must look forward and not backward so no one can go to jail for this.

A report by the Senate Intelligence Committee concludes that the CIA misled the government and the public about aspects of its brutal interrogation program for years — concealing details about the severity of its methods, overstating the significance of plots and prisoners, and taking credit for critical pieces of intelligence that detainees had in fact surrendered before they were subjected to harsh techniques.

The report, built around detailed chronologies of dozens of CIA detainees, documents a long-standing pattern of unsubstantiated claims as agency officials sought permission to use — and later tried to defend — excruciating interrogation methods that yielded little, if any, significant intelligence, according to U.S. officials who have reviewed the document. “The

CIA described [its program] repeatedly both to the Department of Justice and eventually to Congress as getting unique, otherwise unobtainable intelligence that helped disrupt terrorist plots and save thousands of lives,” said one U.S. official briefed on the report. “Was that actually true? The answer is no.”

• 2 weeks later...
Many dismissed the protest we undertook last month with #CancelColbert, a hashtag we set up in response to a blatantly racist Tweet about Asians from the Colbert show’s account.

We think people are surprised to see that their monolithic view of Asian Americans as a model minority is being challenged. We are not the problem. Your stereotypes and narrow roles for us are the problem.

She still doesn't seem to understand what that segment was satirizing.

Yeah, racial humor is really difficult to do well, especially if you're using some group you're not a part of. Colbert usually does that very well. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone saying that they understand the point he was making, but still were offended with the way he made it. I could see pointing out that using other ethnic stereotypes, even to satirically mock ethnic stereotypes, is more damaging than helpful, e.g. how many people laugh at Colbert mocking how ridiculous Snyder is versus are really laughing at the racist stereotype (Chappell had this problem frequently).

But not once does Seuy Park bother to mention what Colbert was actually mocking with his deliberately-over-the-top ethnic stereotyping, Dan Snyder's Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation. Like Colbert pointed out in his lengthy response last week, the #CancelColbert crowd has completely changed the topic from the continuing use of a racial slur for an NFL team's name and then deliberately rubbing it in with this foundation to Colbert's satire. Most of the articles I've seen talking about it don't even bother to mention the WROAF. Why not try to make common cause with AmeriIndian groups and others who protest against the redskins slur?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
She still doesn't seem to understand what that segment was satirizing.

Yeah, racial humor is really difficult to do well, especially if you're using some group you're not a part of. Colbert usually does that very well. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone saying that they understand the point he was making, but still were offended with the way he made it. I could see pointing out that using other ethnic stereotypes, even to satirically mock ethnic stereotypes, is more damaging than helpful, e.g. how many people laugh at Colbert mocking how ridiculous Snyder is versus are really laughing at the racist stereotype (Chappell had this problem frequently).

But not once does Seuy Park bother to mention what Colbert was actually mocking with his deliberately-over-the-top ethnic stereotyping, Dan Snyder's Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation. Like Colbert pointed out in his lengthy response last week, the #CancelColbert crowd has completely changed the topic from the continuing use of a racial slur for an NFL team's name and then deliberately rubbing it in with this foundation to Colbert's satire. Most of the articles I've seen talking about it don't even bother to mention the WROAF. Why not try to make common cause with AmeriIndian groups and others who protest against the redskins slur?

Suey Park my favorite new political activist. One of my friends is convinced she is actually a Republican doing a Colbert'esque impersonation of an activist, but I think she is for real.