The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

Oklahoma GOP Candidate: OK with stoning gays to death

“So just to be clear, you think we should execute homosexuals (presumably by stoning)?” another commenter asked.

"I think we would be totally in the right to do it," Esk replied. "That goes against some parts of libertarianism, I realize, and I’m largely libertarian, but ignoring as a nation things that are worthy of death is very remiss.”

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
One completely non-partisan aspect of that race that should make "get money out of politics" people happy is that Cantor lost despite outspending his opponent 20:1. Cantor's campaign spent more money just at steakhouse dinners than David Brat spent on his entire campaign.

So recent campaign finance decisions increasing the amount of spending on elections maybe won't matter afterall? Guess we'll have to see if this happens again. It's so rare though, over 90% of incumbents win re-election.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

I wouldn't take it quite that far. Even if spending lots and lots of money isn't the single key to winning, many politicians and political strategists may still believe it is, which still leaves the door wide open for all of the corruption. Even if that extra $1M donation isn't going to swing the campaign, you might think it will and will still craft policy in order to get it.

Lolz at the cherry picking and misconstruing of quotes.

Asked whether he really believed homosexuality ought to be punishable by stoning, Esk told MooreDaily.com that he had "huge moral misgivings" about the behavior but had "no plans to reinstitute [stoning] in Oklahoma law."

Pretty clear to me that he did not say stoning homosexuals was ok or agreeable. The quote sounds more like he believes in the death penalty, but it read more like a general quote that he believes in the death penalty than if he thinks homosexuals should be executed for being gay.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Lolz at the cherry picking and misconstruing of quotes.

Pretty clear to me that he did not say stoning homosexuals was ok or agreeable. The quote sounds more like he believes in the death penalty, but it read more like a general quote that he believes in the death penalty than if he thinks homosexuals should be executed for being gay.

Go read the totality of his facebook posts, which are available from links within the original link. This one in particular reinforces the idea that he's a-okay with stoning gays to death, but it's just not feasible in our current "moral climate":

"if it helps any, John, I'm certainly not for enforcing standards of morality by punishment in any way but through legal means (I'm not a vigilante), and in teh current moral climate, authoring a bill to restore the death penalty for perversion between consenting adults would be very counter productive in the foreseeable future"

He's lamenting that it'd be politically damaging to pass that bill. Anyone who's response to "are you okay with stoning gays to death" isn't along the lines of "the f*** is wrong with you? of course not." is a horrible person. He follows that post up with this one, again stating support for the idea of killing people for being gay but laments that it's not a popular position.

In Gen 5:6, it mentions paying for a life taken with one's own life, so authorizes the death penalty [editor's note: being gay kills people?]. I don't think the morality system developed in the OT has been abolished [editor's note: time to re-institute slavery and death for being raped, I guess], and we have authorization to enforce the death penalty in whatever we think is appropriate. I think a crime that "pollutes the land" should be right up there [editor's note: death for violating EPA statutes? I'm going to guess this guy isn't exactly an environmentalist], but I don't see it gaining traction any time soon. I certainly don't bring it up as any of my priorities on people's front porches.
Edited by StrangeSox

Ok so I missed the bolded:

"Men were commanded to put guilty parties to death who were guilty of certain acts, like homosexuality," Esk wrote, according to screenshots archived by the news site.

That is explicit. The other quotes to me were much more general and not nearly specific enough to say that he explicitly said that. Did I still think he's an asshole for not shooting that down immediately? You bet.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 03:29 AM)
I know there's freedom of speech, but it's tough sledding when a public figure says they want somebody dead.

People say they want murderers or rapists executed all the time. Taking a position (however dumb) on criminalizing something isn't the same as calling for violence against a specific person.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

Since the US government by law does not keep good records of accidental shootings, a non-profit went through press reports and compiled actual numbers of accidental shootings of children.

They find they can definitively count 100 shootings of children 14 and under during the year they counted based on press reports. They excluded ones where the press/police report says that the gun could have been fired accidentally but no confirmation was given, so that is probably an undercount. 2 kids a week are killed by accidental discharges in this country, and that probably means there are dozens of injuries per week.

That total suggests that the government statistics underestimate the number of accidental shootings of children by more than 67%.

They estimate that 2/3 of these shootings could have been prevented by having a gun appropriately locked up.

Paul LePage, the tea party Republican Governor of Maine, has been meeting with sovereign citizen wackos.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/lep...vereign-citizen

The remonstrances the group submitted to LePage and the legislature accused Maine’s government of being unlawful, of having illegally accepted and used unconstitutional currency (anything other than gold and silver), and of coordinating with UNESCO, UNICEF, NATO, and the UN to deprive Americans of their property rights. An e-mail sent to the governor’s office by Constitutional Coalition spokesperson Phil Merletti, along with the remonstrance document, declared that legislators who had violated their oaths in this way were committing treason and domestic terrorism.

....LePage’s staff, including executive assistant Micki Muller, who reviews the governor’s e-mails, had previously shunted aside requests from Merletti to meet with LePage....This time, however, word of the remonstrances and the press conference made it past the executive office gatekeepers and to the attention of Governor LePage himself. Rather than ignoring the submission and its radical claims, LePage called Merletti at home at 9 a.m. the next morning in order to set up a meeting for that Saturday with members of the Constitutional Coalition. According to a note that Merletti sent to his e-mail list later that day and that was forwarded to LePage and members of his staff, the governor was angry that he hadn’t heard about the remonstrances earlier, and during the call he pledged to fire any staffers found to have been keeping the information from him.

....The Watchmen describe—and e-mails and documents obtained from LePage’s staff through Maine’s Freedom of Access laws confirm—at least eight meetings over a period of nine months in 2013, almost all more than an hour in duration and some lasting almost three hours.

During these regular meetings, according to the participants, the governor was “educated” by a series of “experts” brought in by the Constitutional Coalition on a number of their conspiracy theories. LePage also made a series of promises to the Watchmen that he would assist them in pressing their cases of treason against Eves and Alfond and in pursuing their wider antigovernment aims.

What a weird bubble some people live in.

Good Guy With Gun Needs To Know If Other Guy With Gun Is Good Guy With Gun Or Bad Guy With Gun So He Can Decide Whether Or Not To Shoot Him

The Valdosta Daily Times reports today that, on the first day of Georgia’s new law expanding the right to carry, we had a pair of gun-toting firearm enthusiasts – one of whom wasn’t sure that the fellow in front of him was a good guy with a gun:

At approximately 3 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to a call regarding a customer dispute at the Enmark on the corner of Park Avenue and North Lee Street.

A man carrying a holstered firearm entered the store to make a purchase. Another customer, also with a holstered firearm, approached him and demanded to see his identification and firearms license, according to the Valdosta Police Department report.

The customer making demands for ID pulled his firearm from its holster but never pointed it at the other customer, who said he was not obligated to show any permits or identification.

He demanded the man’s ID again. Undeterred by the drawn gun, the man paid for his items, left the store and called for police.

Authorities arrested Ronald Williams, 62, on a charge of disorderly conduct, related to the pulling of a weapon inside of the store, according to the VPD. Police confiscated Williams’ weapon and took him to the Lowndes County Jail.

Edited by StrangeSox

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing the logical knots silicon valley/sf will tie themselves into to continue their ignorance that they are "bursting at the seems". Can't build more! nope, need to believe in "geographical diversity".

It would be much more preferable to take advantage of the tech efficiency in silicon valley by letting. more. people. live. there.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/10/silicon-v...merican-cities/

Hate read of the day for me. Hate read of the day.

The owners of Hobby Lobby may be substantially burdened in their religious practices by being required to have their for-profit hobby store offer health insurance that covers contraceptives (that they also happen to invest in), but they're all about a mandatory four-year bible course in public schools:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/school-boar...ely-bible-class

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
The owners of Hobby Lobby may be substantially burdened in their religious practices by being required to have their for-profit hobby store offer health insurance that covers contraceptives (that they also happen to invest in), but they're all about a mandatory four-year bible course in public schools:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/school-boar...ely-bible-class

The curriculum has already been released and absolutely destroyed by scholars. It's basically "Everything in Christianity is true and you should believe it" 101.

If it actually makes it into schools, it'll be challenged and lose in court in an instant.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not really a consistent position from me, but I'm secretly glad for these strikes. That is one specific region that has helped the US a lot in Iraq, been persecuted constantly. To watch by as they get slaughtered makes me sick. On the other hand...should the US be responsible for other regions safety?

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
It's not really a consistent position from me, but I'm secretly glad for these strikes. That is one specific region that has helped the US a lot in Iraq, been persecuted constantly. To watch by as they get slaughtered makes me sick. On the other hand...should the US be responsible for other regions safety?

Most recent Iraq/Isis thread.