• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Organizations that big I never give money to. They always seem to be run by resume-building elite who don't give a s*** about them. Closest would probably be Salvation Army largely due to family history with them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)
Organizations that big I never give money to. They always seem to be run by resume-building elite who don't give a s*** about them. Closest would probably be Salvation Army largely due to family history with them.

:angry

Not at you...just sore subject on that last company mentioned.

Lindsey Graham jokes at private club gathering: "If I get to be president, white men in male-only clubs are going to do great in my presidency."

Graham said he was making fun of the society's all-male membership, joking that they were the last such organization in existence after Augusta National Golf Club admitted women.

As for the Baptist riff, Graham said he regularly teases South Carolina audiences about their various religious denominations, before making a larger point about religious liberty in the United States and warning about the threat of radical Islam overseas.

The only funny joke is the one that he didn't mean to be - that he can't say a thing about religion without briefly losing his mind about the evil Muslims

Jim Crow returns

Millions of minority voters threatened by electoral purge

The Crosscheck list of suspected double voters has been compiled by matching names from roughly 110 million voter records from participating states. Interstate Crosscheck is the pet project of Kansas’ controversial Republican secretary of state, Kris Kobach, known for his crusade against voter fraud.

The three states’ lists are heavily weighted with names such as Jackson, Garcia, Patel and Kim — ones common among minorities, who vote overwhelmingly Democratic. Indeed, fully 1 in 7 African-Americans in those 27 states, plus the state of Washington (which enrolled in Crosscheck but has decided not to utilize the results), are listed as under suspicion of having voted twice. This also applies to 1 in 8 Asian-Americans and 1 in 8 Hispanic voters. White voters too — 1 in 11…

The sample matches he showed his audience included the following criteria: first, last and middle name or initial; date of birth; suffixes; and Social Security number, or at least its last four digits…

In practice, all it takes to become a suspect is sharing a first and last name with a voter in another state. Typical “matches” identifying those who may have voted in both Georgia and Virginia include….

Matching names is enough to raise suspicion. That is absurd.

But hey, good thing Roberts gutted the VRA with antebellum state's rights arguments.

more

A Texas voter ID law considered to be one of the most restrictive in the country is doing exactly what Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg warned it would do: stopping Americans from voting.

A disabled woman in Travis County was turned away from voting because she couldn’t afford to pay her parking tickets. An IHOP dishwasher from Mercedes can’t afford the cost of getting a new birth certificate, which he would need to obtain the special photo ID card required for voting. A student at a historically black college in Marshall, who registered some of her fellow students to vote, won’t be able to cast a ballot herself because her driver’s license isn’t from Texas and the state wouldn’t accept her student identification card.

There are plenty of stories like this coming out of Texas in the early voting period leading up to Election Day. Texas’ tough voter ID law, signed by Gov. Rick Perry in 2011, requires voters to show one of seven types of photo identification. Concealed handgun licenses are allowed, but college student IDs are not, nor are driver’s licenses that have been expired for more than sixty days.

Edited by StrangeSox

Co-posting in both threads:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/final-...ing-the-senate/

Nate Silver's final analysis gives the Republicans a 76.2 chance of taking the Senate, with 53 Republican seats (22.5%) and 52 Republican seats (21.4%) being the most likely outcomes. Nate has the Kansas race as the only one without an at least 2:1 favorite.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
The weirdest/worst part is how quick some police jumped on board with the story

Yes, it's disgusting. There's already enough tension between North Minneapolis and the cops. You think this is really helping? I'm surprised at how angry I am about this, but this really, really bothers me.

It would not matter if it somehow turned out there actually is a Minneapolis gang that points at people as some sort of gang sign, though it sounds totally ridiculous. To try to turn the mayor pointing at someone into this is just mind-bogglingly mad.

Wow. I can't imagine how the Minneapolis cops and the local ABC affiliate could have screwed this up more.

Mayor points at black man, news station thinks she's flashing gang signs with a felon

What f***ing idiots.

Wait, I thought the only black people in Minnesota were Prince and Kirby Puckett??

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Not at all too soon, made me laugh.

There's a really neat memorial right along the river. It's pretty small and unobtrusive, a lot of people don't even know it's there.

The new bridge is pretty impressive looking, and is always lit up at night.