The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 08:58 AM)
I don't know how you can disagree that McCain has had a terribly undisciplined campaign what with the constant campaign bickering getting leaked out as well as new theme every week.

I can't disagree with that at all. It's why McCain is going to lose.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
I can't disagree with that at all. It's why McCain is going to lose.

Does anyone think that running an undisciplined, disorganized campaign would signal an undisciplined, disorganized administration? I tend to think so, but I can't think of any precedent (at least for president), because most bad campaigns lose. Maybe the best example I can think of is Carol Mosely Braun, who got swept into office with Clinton in 'the year of the woman" and promptly swept out again six years later.

I know the converse isn't necessarily true; Bill Clinton ran an effective, single message campaign ("its the economy, stupid") and then his administration really stumbled out of the gate over gays in the miltary, Hillarycare, etc.

I guess it depends upon whether the "kingmakers" remain on as policy makers. In Clinton's case, Begala and Carville didn't join the White House. For W, Karl Rove did. What would McCain's key campaign people be likely to do? Anybody know?

23% of Texas think Obama is a Muslim

Nearly one in four Texas voters erroneously believes Barack Obama is Muslim, according to a new poll.

The poll conducted this month by the University of Texas found that less than half the state's voters, a majority of whom support John McCain's candidacy, could correctly identify the religion of the Democratic presidential candidate. Obama has been a member of the same Christian church in Chicago for more than 20 years, and he faced controversy earlier this year when controversial statements from the church's former pastor appeared online.

When asked Obama's religion, 22.7 percent of the respondents said Muslim, while 45 percent correctly said Protestant.

The poll showed that Texans were far more willing to believe untruths about Obama than about Sarah Palin, the GOP's vice presidential nominee. Just under 3 percent said they believed the untrue rumor that Palin's youngest son, Trig, is actually her grandson.

Both rumors have circulated primarily online, although those focused on Obama have been around longer because he has been running for president longer.

29.9 Million Watch Obama's Infomercial

If Barack Obama fails to win the election, perhaps the networks should hire him to entertain viewers on Wednesday nights.

On average, Obama's 30-minute primetime infomercial managed to outperform the usual broadcast programming in the 8 p.m. time period.

The Obama special was seen by 26.3 million viewers across broadcasters CBS, NBC and Fox, according to preliminary Nielsen ratings. If you add Spanish-language broadcaster Univision, that total climbs to 29.9 million.

Palin at Solar Power Plant: Drill, Baby Drill

Palin spoke after touring Xunlight Corp., one of a handful of solar technology startup companies in Toledo, a struggling industrial city in this swing state. The city's leaders are hoping that the solar companies will create jobs to replace some of those lost by downsizing in the auto industry.

But Palin made only a passing reference to solar power in her speech and instead renewed her call for more drilling in U.S. coastal waters. She repeated her signature anthem, "drill, baby, drill," which seemed to fall a bit flat on the audience at the plant even as it's become a popular chant at her rallies.

D'OH!

Along the lines of wtf, here is an email I got from my friend Joe Biden:

We just learned that the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee had a $20 million cash advantage on October 15th. That means we can expect to see a fierce blitz of negativity in the final days -- so-called "robocalls," mail pieces, and TV ads filled with smears and false attacks.

huh?

Couldn't believe how long the line was. I was behind the hill on carnahan more towards jesse and behind "Missouri for Change" I only got to see Obama's head between the upper and middle prongs of the E. I have no idea what it looked like on the other side or where the stage even was. Crowd was really great though. The halloween costumes were funny.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
I'll be in Indiana this weekend volunteering for the Obama campaign.

My wife said while I was out grocery shopping yesterday, the Obama campaign called and asked if I wanted to go to Indy this weekend. Unfortunately my work schedule and newborn baby dont give me that flexibility.

Ted Stevens: I Haven't Been Convicted Yet

FAIRBANKS, Alaska — Sen. Ted Stevens says he is not a convicted felon, at least until the appeal process is over.

"I've not been convicted yet," the Alaska Republican insisted Thursday in a meeting with the editorial board of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. "There's not a black mark by my name yet, until the appeal is over and I am finally convicted, if that happens. If that happens, of course I'll do what's right for Alaska and for the Senate ... I don't anticipate it happening, and until it happens I do not have a black mark."

A federal court jury on Monday convicted Stevens on seven counts of lying on Senate disclosure forms to conceal more than $250,000 in gifts and renovations to his home from VECO Corp. founder Bill Allen.

ok, can a legal expert advise on this? Is he technically correct? I've always assumed once you were found guilty, you were guilty until someone else says otherwise. Is this just horribly misleading spin?