• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 02:57 AM)
Limbaugh is defending trump now, lol

nyt

I mentioned this exact thing as why I like Trump. He's not cowering when under siege. Usually the public figure makes a statement that the PC world deems bad and the public figure cowers and apologizes. Trump says basically "grow up. I didn't say it or didn't mean it like that and go f*** yourselves." I like that. Limbaugh did the same thing the last controversy he had. Some people were boycotting his show (like the Macys deal with Trump), Limbaugh wouldn't back down, a few stations pulled his show but not a ton and he survived easily.

I love the rare times a public figure refuses to cower. The media doesn't know what to do when the public figure tells everybody to "f*** off." They really don't know what to do. They are so used to the public figure apologizing and then dropping out of the race or falling off the map.

Edited by greg775

except he's not really cowering per say, he's denying what he clearly said. Then he brags about leading the polls, big deal, your the biggest turd in the toilet. have a cookie.

I've never been a big fan of McCain and for once I am on his side and he just takes the high road like a wet noodle.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
I have been forced to follow gawker saga on twitter. I can not believe the stupid petulence of the editors.

That entire site/company needs to die. They've all climbed up each others' asses so far now they can't see what end is up. They have a lot of good writers, but it cracks me up that guys that ok'd dick pic posts or bear videos get on their editorial high horse when the bosses complain about a tabloid story that wasn't necessary (or even that entertaining).

And what no one has really talked about is how Gawker themselves had a big piece about how outing people is not cool in response to that Dr. V post on Grantland. Yet they've outed people (Shepherd Smith) and this new guy. I'm not sure why there's any debate about the decision to take that story down. It went against their own group think. It was dumb. Who decided to take it down (editors or the suits) really isn't important.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
I have been forced to follow gawker saga on twitter. I can not believe the stupid petulence of the editors.

Oh god it's still continuing today? I was reading about it generally yesterday morning. Editors don't seem to understand that you don't out someone. Ever.

Another pretty messed up story with Sandra Bland. Pulled over for a simple traffic violation (not signaling for a lane change to get out of the officers' way), eventually dragged to the ground by the cop after he threatened to "light her up" with his stun gun, booked in jail over a weekend and found dead of a claimed suicide 3 days later. Questions have been raised about whether this was a suicide or a murder, and the Texas Rangers and FBI are looking into it.

The arrest was caught on film by a bystander, and the police eventually released the dash cam footage. However, the footage from the police looks to have been edited.

Bland was originally from Naperville and was in Texas to interview for a new job.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)
That entire site/company needs to die. They've all climbed up each others' asses so far now they can't see what end is up. They have a lot of good writers, but it cracks me up that guys that ok'd dick pic posts or bear videos get on their editorial high horse when the bosses complain about a tabloid story that wasn't necessary (or even that entertaining).

And what no one has really talked about is how Gawker themselves had a big piece about how outing people is not cool in response to that Dr. V post on Grantland. Yet they've outed people (Shepherd Smith) and this new guy. I'm not sure why there's any debate about the decision to take that story down. It went against their own group think. It was dumb. Who decided to take it down (editors or the suits) really isn't important.

Yeah. I mean, I feel like 80% is simply a reactionary site just throwing stones at ESPN/Vox/Buzzfeed/etc, the other 20% is them...basically generating the worst of what those sites already do.

But, it just kills me. If you are going to claim the high horse on the division between ad and editorial, you need to show that you had some ability to review a story like this.

But they a) appeared to not review anything and just stnad by it and b) if that is the case, your ad team may have been making a business case but more likely was just making better editorial judgment than you.

But of course if anyone mocks this, Tom Scocca and his merry band of idiots will drag up some story from some time ago that the person is loosely related to. And everything is awful!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
Black officers it looks like.

Maybe the guy who charges in? The first officer looks hispanic to me. Doesn't really matter though, structural racism gets internalized by everyone regardless of race. Plus, in the words of NWA:

But don't let it be a black and a white one

Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top

Black police showing out for the white cop

Speaking of NWA, I have this fear that the upcoming movie is going to be another white savior film where these poor boys couldn't get anywhere without the amazing Paul Giamatti. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't looked much into it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
Another pretty messed up story with Sandra Bland. Pulled over for a simple traffic violation (not signaling for a lane change to get out of the officers' way), eventually dragged to the ground by the cop after he threatened to "light her up" with his stun gun, booked in jail over a weekend and found dead of a claimed suicide 3 days later. Questions have been raised about whether this was a suicide or a murder, and the Texas Rangers and FBI are looking into it.

The arrest was caught on film by a bystander, and the police eventually released the dash cam footage. However, the footage from the police looks to have been edited.

Bland was originally from Naperville and was in Texas to interview for a new job.

Sandra Bland and the “lawful order” problem

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)

So again, why not just comply with any command of a cop? Until your life is at risk for doing something a cop asks you to do, just do it. If it ends up being a rights violation, sue them in court. Why take the chance on getting arrested or worse, getting beat up and/or killed?

I'm not at all absolving asshole cops out there. There's clearly a problem going on in this country with cops being overzealous and physical. It should be 100 times easier to fire asshole cops out there and we should be able to sue cops individually for going above and beyond anything they're supposed to do. That'd solve a lot of the problems. [edit: like the asshole in this case. Not putting out a cigarette, a request, is not a failing to abide by a lawful order and he had no right to force her out of the car.]

But to be fair to cops, people DO resist and need to be physically handled to effectuate an arrest or even a search. I'm sure part of the problem here is that 90% of people respond kindly to officers and follow their requests/orders, and 10% don't. And of the 10% that don't, 90% of those are going to be full on resist-mode people. So a cop, over time, is just going to assume that anyone not following an order is resisting and are going to try and flee or whatever.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Well that's exactly Orin's point, that we shouldn't be forced to comply with anything a cop says or otherwise face fear of physical assault and imprisonment.

There's also the times where the person obeys the cop's request and still gets shot.

But what we should/shouldn't have to do and what is reality are two different things. That's my point. It's just common sense to deal with asshole cops, keep your mouth shut, have a s***ty 5-10 minute experience and then move on with your life. You arguing about it and fighting back never, ever works. Ever. It's not worth the effort. Fight back after the fact with a lawsuit and/or complaints to the department.

Edit: again, i'm not saying we shouldn't be doing more to stop this from the cop's side. But what's the point of these articles other than to say we should all resist even MORE because our rights are being violated? To me that just escalates these situations.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
But what we should/shouldn't have to do and what is reality are two different things. That's my point. It's just common sense to deal with asshole cops, keep your mouth shut, have a s***ty 5-10 minute experience and then move on with your life. You arguing about it and fighting back never, ever works. Ever. It's not worth the effort. Fight back after the fact with a lawsuit and/or complaints to the department.

"she was resisting arrest" "I felt threatened" "she assaulted me" Lawsuits also cost time and money and may never lead anywhere.

Edit: again, i'm not saying we shouldn't be doing more to stop this from the cop's side. But what's the point of these articles other than to say we should all resist even MORE because our rights are being violated? To me that just escalates these situations.

kerr's a law professor writing on a law blog, so I think his point is to question the law and court rulings behind some of this.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
"she was resisting arrest" "I felt threatened" "she assaulted me" Lawsuits also cost time and money and may never lead anywhere.

kerr's a law professor writing on a law blog, so I think his point is to question the law and court rulings behind some of this.

I mean yeah that's the risk, but again, you resisting and escalating the situation to the point that you get arrested only hurts the cause. It doesn't help it. And you're never going to logically talk a cop out of arresting you.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
I mean yeah that's the risk, but again, you resisting and escalating the situation to the point that you get arrested only hurts the cause. It doesn't help it. And you're never going to logically talk a cop out of arresting you.

With how menial the provocation was in this case (put that cigarette out immediately flashes into get out of the car/taze threat/arrest), there's no way that you could actually educate human beings to be that passive. Having to deal with police in an adversarial way is going to annoy some people, maybe even catch them on a bad day. There's just no way you could ever, ever get humans to always be this passive.