The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Ted Stevens: I Haven't Been Convicted Yet

ok, can a legal expert advise on this? Is he technically correct? I've always assumed once you were found guilty, you were guilty until someone else says otherwise. Is this just horribly misleading spin?

As I understand it, he's been convicted. He's been found guilty. I think Mr. Stevens is in a bit of denial.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Ted Stevens: I Haven't Been Convicted Yet

ok, can a legal expert advise on this? Is he technically correct? I've always assumed once you were found guilty, you were guilty until someone else says otherwise. Is this just horribly misleading spin?

It depends. He has been found guilty and thus certainly "convicted" in the dictionary sense. However, the term can have different technical meanings in different legal contexts in different states. In some states, a guilty defendant is not technically "convicted" until sentenced; in others, not until final appeals run their course. Other states can even apply different rules for different reasons. For example, a lawyer found guilty of a felony could be deemed "convicted" for purposes of bar disqualification immediately upon entry of the verdict, but still be able to vote pending appeal.

I have no idea how Alaska defines "conviction" for any specific purpose, and therefore no idea if Stevens is full of s***, but his claim could indeed be accurate.

LINK

Political malpractice

Posted by Mark Kleiman

This is flat-out weird. Barack Obama praises the McCain-Leiberman cap-and-trade bill. McCain runs it as a campaign spot:

The thrust of the McCain campaign, especially for the past month, has been that Barack Obama is evil and scary: a metrosexual cosmopolitan celebrity who wants to molest your children while his terrorist friends plot to kill you and his homeboy welfare chiselers from ACORN steal elections so they can then steal your money. Now, four days before the election, McCain shows the voters Obama "reaching across the aisle" to praise his rival in his best calm, reasonable, thoughtful tone.

What am I missing here? Is Steve Schmidt in the tank?

So for those who received invites for the Grant Park rally, have you actually been emailed a ticket yet? I signed up when they sent me the invite and haven't seen anything yet.

Regardless if I get a ticket or not I will be down there with my wife and a group of friends...wearing my Sox cap of course. Gotta reprazent.

So the roll call for Tuesday so far is:

BigSqwert

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
I thought Libertarians felt that national defense was one of the few areas of that the federal government does indeed need to be strong.

The current libertarian candidate is proposing large cuts in defense. Almost $100 billion a year as a matter of a fact.

http://www.ntu.org/main/page.php?PageID=141

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
The current libertarian candidate is proposing large cuts in defense. Almost $100 billion a year as a matter of a fact.

http://www.ntu.org/main/page.php?PageID=141

That may be a result of calculating in an immediate, full on withdrawal from Iraq (whereas McCain and even Obama would do things in a much more gradual way).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)

:notworthy Wow. One quote caught my attention

It is time to reemphasize the word “defense” in national defense. By maintaining a military presence in more than 130 nations around the world in more than 700 installations, with hundreds of thousands of troops deployed overseas, the U.S. spends more to protect the soil of other nations than our own. Bringing these soldiers home would better protect America while saving lives and money. The U.S. requires a military strong enough to defend this nation, not to support and defend much of the rest of the world.

The debate becomes how much does a base in X country help to defend America. It certainly is not zero. It would seem we have a strategic advantage to be deployed around the globe. Maybe not at these levels, but it seems to me they help defend America. So I guess I am calling a slight b.s. infraction here.

I am a strong believer in trade not aid. And if we are going to offer aid, it should come from products and services from the US of A workers. Not in the form of a check.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
This is not "Obama's short list". Its people speculating on it, who are not in his decision making process.

Also, I'll throw out a dark horse not mentioned...

Lisa Madigan, IL AG and former state senate cohort of Obama's, for US AG.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Also, I'll throw out a dark horse not mentioned...

Lisa Madigan, IL AG and former state senate cohort of Obama's, for US AG.

It would clear the way for the other Daley to win the Governor's race. That makes sense.