The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
I hope you are right about Hillary being given a real challenge. I haven't seen any polls where Bernie has a shot to overtake her BTW. I think it's all a smokesscreen like when Obama would be falling in the polls. If Obama could run again, he'd win in a landslide. Hillary is in the same party, so that's my reasoning behind her easy victory. Plus the entitlement thing. It's her participation trophy.

For a person who is "entitled" to the spot, she's sure been working hard at earning it. A number of writers have been impressed at her campaign organization, she's taking the "Obama" route of getting strong campaigns established in Iowa, NH, and in as many states as possible and ignoring the stupid daily talking points in favor of fundraising, policy proposal release, and organization building. I was particularly intrigued by her proposals on controlling college costs by tying the availability of federal education funding to the performance of graduates and ability of individual colleges to limit cost increases that came out a few weeks ago.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
For a person who is "entitled" to the spot, she's sure been working hard at earning it. A number of writers have been impressed at her campaign organization, she's taking the "Obama" route of getting strong campaigns established in Iowa, NH, and in as many states as possible and ignoring the stupid daily talking points in favor of fundraising, policy proposal release, and organization building. I was particularly intrigued by her proposals on controlling college costs by tying the availability of federal education funding to the performance of graduates and ability of individual colleges to limit cost increases that came out a few weeks ago.

Must be demoralizing to her that she's still losing in those states. Of course, her vast resources are clearly paying off elsewhere. I do wonder if she has the ability to people truly excited for her candidacy a la Obama, Sanders, etc. Of course, there is no prerequisite that says your average supporter must be incredibly enthusiastic since most presidents win without that type of support.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Must be demoralizing to her that she's still losing in those states. Of course, her vast resources are clearly paying off elsewhere. I do wonder if she has the ability to people truly excited for her candidacy a la Obama, Sanders, etc. Of course, there is no prerequisite that says your average supporter must be incredibly enthusiastic since most presidents win without that type of support.

Don't count "losing" based on polls 4 months before the first vote is cast. Here's October 2007:

Clinton has led the Democratic pack in every Gallup Poll conducted between November 2006 and October 2007. For most of this time, Clinton has led Obama by a double-digit margin.

Clinton’s lead over Obama has expanded to nearly 30 points in Gallup’s latest poll, conducted Oct. 12-14: 50% vs. 21%.

Howard Dean was leading in Iowa at this point in 2003.

While I'm at it,

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani has held a statistically significant lead in every Gallup national preference poll since February, averaging a 12-point lead over former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson the past three months. Arizona Sen. John McCain is third, but usually just a few points behind Thompson.
9iu11ani would eventually spend about $50 million to win 2 delegates.

And that doesn't even mention the roller coaster ride of the Republican 2012 race. I think we're almost to the 4th year anniversary of the Herman Cain boomlet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 11:42 PM)
No. This is all just blather right now. Hillary is the Democrats' choice. I desperately hope Biden enters to make life harder for her, though.

You do realize that the 'Democrats' choice', meaning the one leading polls and seemingly with biggest party support, months before the first primaries... has never won the nomination in decades-long recent history.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 09:36 PM)
Don't count "losing" based on polls 4 months before the first vote is cast. Here's October 2007:

Howard Dean was leading in Iowa at this point in 2003.

While I'm at it,

9iu11ani would eventually spend about $50 million to win 2 delegates.

And that doesn't even mention the roller coaster ride of the Republican 2012 race. I think we're almost to the 4th year anniversary of the Herman Cain boomlet.

I didn't say that she has lost them, but there is good reason to believe that if those states held elections today, she'd lose. Chances are she isn't intentionally allowing this to happen just because she knows the race is a ways away. Considering Sanders's issues with name recognition, time could arguably be Hillary's enemy. Of course, you might say that she'll ramp up the contrast advertising and rhetoric nearer to the race; that might be right and that might work. The presence and non-presence of Biden in the race is pretty meaningful as well.

I'm not a fan of Sanders and would prefer Hillary win. I have found the movement behind him naively condescending and the epitomy of elite white liberalism. The whole "well if they just let bernie debate them we can change all of their ideas!"...maybe I'm just older. Hillary is not ideal but she'll be able to play good defense.

But, yeah, good for him becoming a safe senator in all-white, low population vermont.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Check out Page 32 of this polling data.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/09/12/iranpoll.pdf

Apparently 15% of Democrats and 14% of Liberals think that Obama is a Muslim. I have seen enough to know what the right fringes think, but I can't believe 1 in 7 from his own party think that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Pa...primaries,_2012

On May 8, 2012, Keith Russell Judd, an inmate serving a 210 month sentence, won 41% of the primary vote in West Virginia against incumbent Barack Obama, a higher percentage of the vote in one state than any other primary opponent of Obama had hitherto achieved in 2012.[11][12] Shortly thereafter, attorney John Wolfe, Jr. won 42% of the primary vote in Arkansas after widespread speculation that Wolfe could possibly pull off an upset of the state.[13]

Apparently 15% of Democrats and 14% of Liberals think that Obama is a Muslim. I have seen enough to know what the right fringes think, but I can't believe 1 in 7 from his own party think that.

Morons in both parties. I've never really understand choosing a "side" anyway though. I'm a person. A free thinker with many thoughts and opinions so explaining away what I am as either Democrat or Republican has always seemed stupid to me. Not really sure how anyone is all the way one of those 2 things even though people argue about it every day.

Morons in both parties. I've never really understand choosing a "side" anyway though. I'm a person. A free thinker with many thoughts and opinions so explaining away what I am as either Democrat or Republican has always seemed stupid to me. Not really sure how anyone is all the way one of those 2 things even though people argue about it every day.

Lots of people are all the way one of those two things because really rich people on both sides are very good at convincing very gullible people to believe party lines instead of thinking for themselves.

This honestly does not surprise me, it has been so "out there" and discussed and covered in a way that gives credibility to it, that those who do not pay attention that much could believe it.

Frankly, I think there will be 15% of any opinion out there. Seems to be the amount of idiots in a pool.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
I'm not a fan of Sanders and would prefer Hillary win. I have found the movement behind him naively condescending and the epitomy of elite white liberalism. The whole "well if they just let bernie debate them we can change all of their ideas!"...maybe I'm just older. Hillary is not ideal but she'll be able to play good defense.

But, yeah, good for him becoming a safe senator in all-white, low population vermont.

I agree with this.

28 years for salmonella: Peanut exec gets groundbreaking sentence

A jury in south Georgia convicted Stewart Parnell a year ago on 72 counts of fraud, conspiracy and the introduction of adulterated food into interstate commerce. The former CEO of the now-defunct Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) was sentenced Monday at the same federal court in Albany, not far from the city of Blakely where his peanut processing plant once profited.

Parnell's trial was groundbreaking: Never before had a corporate executive been convicted of federal felony charges related to food poisoning. Parnell was facing up to 803 years in prison, and even though his sentence fell far short of the maximum, food safety advocates hailed it as a big step forward.

The 2008 salmonella outbreak traced back to peanut butter paste manufactured by PCA killed nine people and sickened 714 others, some critically, across 46 states. It was the deadliest salmonella outbreak in recent years and resulted in one of the largest food recalls in American history -- from Keebler crackers to Famous Amos cookies to the snack packets handed out on airlines.

At trial last year, prosecutors called 45 witnesses and presented more than 1,000 documents including months of emails, lab results and financial records to make their case that Parnell knew about the contamination, covered it up and ordered PCA to continue shipments of salmonella-tainted peanut paste used to manufacture a variety of products.

The prosecution's blistering opening statement contained three now-infamous words Parnell wrote in a March 2007 email to a plant manager about contaminated products: "Just ship it."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)

I'm a little torn on this. Yay for finally going after execs who make awful, life-altering decisions....but at the same time, 28 years? Seems like a smidge too much. I won't lose sleep over it though. Good riddance.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
His actions literally killed multiple people and sickened hundreds of others. I'm fine with 28 years.

But it was more of an increased risk situation than a known death/murder situation.

To me something like the GM situation is even worse. You know when people drive that car there will be deaths if the engine turns off. Here, yeah, you can assume based on the numbers people will get sick, but i'm not sure you can say death is a very likely result. Perhaps i'm underscoring the severity of salmonella though.

I guess the real problem is the peanut industry isn't as good at lobbying the government not to file criminal charges like the auto industry. 124 deaths not as big of a deal as 9, apparently.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-charges-gm...itch-1442502075