The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
That bolded part made me laugh.

In any case, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that based off the premise of the original post, it's safe to assume that BearSox was not talking about all that and that it's still laughable. If we were to use up all the oil that can be drilled, right now, the global economy is shot to s*** for a few million more years.

Ok, on that I'll agree. Right now, the earth is probably producing something on the order of 1 barrel of oil for every 10,000 or 100,000 or so barrels we use, maybe less. Not all of that is accessible and a decent chunk of it never gets stored anywhere or is eaten by microbes, but the production is non-zero. It'd just take a couple tens of millions of years to build back up the reservoirs to the levels they were before humanity started any pumping.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
what makes you think that? All of those can create electricity. Electricity can run homes, businesses, cars, trains, machinery, and most things that we currently need energy for. That's the great majority of our oil use (though, admitedly, not 100%).

I just... I'm stunned.

Here's a small example of what products are produced from oil...

http://www.anwr.org/features/oiluses.htm

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Here's a small example of what products are produced from oil...

http://www.anwr.org/features/oiluses.htm

And not one of them HAS to be made from oil. Also, as I said, the great majority of oil we use is for energy. That's the key here - energy policy. I am not saying, nor is anyone else, that we can simply stop using all oil immediately. We are saying that we can cut our use dramatically over the next decade or two, to the point where its a fraction of what it was.

Also, that is not a list of products "produced from oil", they are products which happen to have something in it that may use oil.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
This is stunning.

Do you know how oil is "made"? Do you know how much biomass it takes, and how long it takes for it to become oil? And do you actually, honestly think that amount even remotely rivals the billions of barrels of oil we use every day?

No wonder you want to drill. You are the only person I have ever heard who actually thinks that oil is a renewable resource.

And WTF is with this 100 years stuff? We have all sorts of alternatives, RIGHT NOW! Just like you can drill right now, you can also do wind, solar, geo, hyrdo and other stuff right now. 100 years? Where are you getting this stuff?

Did you see the bug that s***s oil? It's pretty cool. So maybe it is a renewable resource. :lol:

I'll have to dig up that article sometime, it was pretty funny, and true!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Did you see the bug that s***s oil? It's pretty cool. So maybe it is a renewable resource. :lol:

I'll have to dig up that article sometime, it was pretty funny, and true!

Yes, someone posted it here. It wasn't exactly oil, it was actually more like partially refined oil and close to gasoline, as I recall. Very cool.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
Yes, someone posted it here. It wasn't exactly oil, it was actually more like partially refined oil and close to gasoline, as I recall. Very cool.

Maybe it is where I saw it was here.

so the conclusion is, because bugs crap oil, it's a renewable resource. Didn't we all learn something today, boys and girls? :lol:

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Maybe it is where I saw it was here.

so the conclusion is, because bugs crap oil, it's a renewable resource. Didn't we all learn something today, boys and girls? :lol:

If someone could pull that off on an industrial scale, then yeah, it would suddenly go in to being a renewable resource.

*warning - article that talks about Obama's donations (big industry bribes basically) - you may go into a unstoppable rage if you are an Obamatron *

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/05/america/bundlers.php

In an effort to cast himself as independent of the influence of money on politics, Senator Barack Obama often highlights the campaign contributions of $200 or less that have amounted to fully half of the $340 million he has collected so far.

But records show that a third of his record-breaking haul has come from donations of $1,000 or more - a total of $112 million, more than the total of contributions in that category taken in by either Senator John McCain, his Republican rival, or Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, his opponent in the Democratic primaries.

Behind those large donations is a phalanx of more than 500 Obama "bundlers," fund-raisers who have each collected contributions totaling $50,000 or more. Many of the bundlers come from industries with critical interests in Washington. Nearly three dozen of the bundlers have raised more than $500,000, including more than a half-dozen who have passed the $1 million mark and one or two who have exceeded $2 million, according to interviews with fund-raisers.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
*warning - article that talks about Obama's donations (big industry bribes basically) - you may go into a unstoppable rage if you are an Obamatron *

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/05/america/bundlers.php

2 points.

1. We'll give them up when you will.

2. The bigger question is...are any of them looking like these "fishy" bundled gifts like McCain seemed to start getting recently, people who are middle class but work for a large corporation who suddenly give $30 grand.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
2 points.

1. We'll give them up when you will.

2. The bigger question is...are any of them looking like these "fishy" bundled gifts like McCain seemed to start getting recently, people who are middle class but work for a large corporation who suddenly give $30 grand.

Wait, I am getting bribes? They must be sending the checks to the wrong address.

On your second issue, I'm sure Obama's cash is at least as dirty as McCain's.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
I'm sure Obama's cash is at least as dirty as McCain's.

Frankly, I'd love to find out. I really hope the press takes a close look at all these bundlers now that it's starting to be an issue. It's bothered me for years how rich people conveniently seemed to get all their friends to contribute as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
Frankly, I'd love to find out. I really hope the press takes a close look at all these bundlers now that it's starting to be an issue. It's bothered me for years how rich people conveniently seemed to get all their friends to contribute as well.

I know one down here and basically he raises money through all his suppliers. He raised millions for the Clintons. Not much different, but on a grander scale, what Rex just did for the Aids ride or what I do for my Scout camp. Anyone who is fund raising contacts family and friends first. Not every volunteer is an eager college student working a phone bank or canvasing door to door. Some eager volunteers are people who get off on the access that comes with being a big source of cash.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
Im really looking forward to Blowjobavichs cameras on the expressways to send tickets in the mail for speeding so the revenue can be used for more police on the south side.

That's all Blago needs is a tactical unit under his control. The man belongs in jail, not running a state. And speeding cameras will not happen here. Thankfully, against state law, for now. However, if they ever do appear, they won't spend much time in an operable state.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)

This guy broke his teeth working in Chicago. You KNOW he is not clean.

I have already seen an article about his getting money from someone in Palestine by listing himself as being from Georgia instead. It was published in a Jewish newspaper.

How big of a donation before the candidate himself knows about it? I can't believe either candidate knows about every $5,000 donation that flows in. I wonder what the threshold is.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is

a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

-Winston Churchill

;)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 8, 2008 -> 06:55 AM)
How big of a donation before the candidate himself knows about it? I can't believe either candidate knows about every $5,000 donation that flows in. I wonder what the threshold is.

"I cannot recall..."

Yup, I can see this coming a mile away.