• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 24, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
The depression is what caused the market to crash.

I would go with the other way around on this one. Add into that extremely low commodities prices, bank lending drying up, and a bubble economy for good measure. The crash was the final scraw in kicking the Depression off.

Ok then, I'm mistaken (I'll never run for office, I swear). But one day crashes can trigger events that take years to recover from, and that was the point I was trying to make. In any event, none of that changes the fact that Biden's quote was not nearly as far-fetched as it was portrayed in the original post, which totally assumed an unattributed reference to 1929.

The stock market did crash (again) in 1939, and FDR did make televised speeches in that year.

Biden may be a doofus, but that quote would hardly make his top 100 goof list.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/...dy-mccain-oufit

On Wednesdayâ€s CBS Early Show, co-host Russ Mitchell apologized for a Friday segment that estimated Cindy McCain wore a $300,000 outfit to the Republican convention: "Now, a correction. Last week, the Early Show aired an segment on an outfit Cindy McCain wore during the Republican National Convention. We estimated the total cost was more than $300,000. It turns out that dress is off-the-rack and the pearl necklace is not real. We regret the error."

As NewsBusters†Lyndsi Thomas reported, during Fridayâ€s show, liberal political analyst Laura Schwartz declared: "You know, Cindy McCain, her outfit that she wore the opening night of the convention comes in, once you tally everything up, Oscar de la Renta dress for $3,000. The watch from Chanel $4500. $11000 to $25000 worth of pearls. $600 shoes. And the diamond earrings, $280,000. So she clocks in right around $300,000...That kinda puts her over the top. That's like 1 ½ houses."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)

My wife's response...

There is no way in hell Cindy McCain is wearing fake pearls, and the dress is still Oscar De La Renta - off the rack, or not. The woman was wearing a 12g Chanel watch....and then chose to pair it with a three-strand FAKE pearl necklace? I don't buy it.

Gotta love a woman's response... and I tend to agree with her.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
My wife's response...

Gotta love a woman's response... and I tend to agree with her.

No kidding. What next? They going to tell us most of the homes and cars the McCains have are just cardboard cut outs?

John McCain. 25 May 2005, speaking to the Senate:

For years I have been concerned about the regulatory structure that governs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac–known as Government-sponsored entities or GSEs–and the sheer magnitude of these companies and the role they play in the housing market. OFHEO’s report this week does nothing to ease these concerns. In fact, the report does quite the contrary. OFHEO’s report solidifies my view that the GSEs need to be reformed without delay.

I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole.

I urge my colleagues to support swift action on this GSE reform legislation.

We've just been alerted that despite House Democrats relenting on extending bans on offshore drilling and oil shale in the continuing resolution (CR) appropriations bill, Democrat Senate Leader Harry Reid has decided to sneak an extension of the oil shale ban through as Congress fights over the financial bailout. Oil shale in America's West is estimated to hold be between 800 billion and 2 trillion barrels of oil — that is more than three times the proven oil reserves in Saudi Arabia alone.

Here is the text of Reid's proposed new ban on oil shale, that he is trying to add as an amendment to the CR or move seperately as a "stimulus" package, or we should say an anti-stimulus package if this is included.

Sec 1602 continues ban on oil shale. The language follows:

SEC. 1602. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, including section 152 of division A of H.R. 2638 (110th Congress), the Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009, the terms and conditions contained in section 433 of division F of Public Law 110–161 shall remain in effect for the 19 fiscal year ending September 30, 2009.

It would be an insult to all Americans if Senate Democrats worked to bailout Wall Street while damaging our future prosperity by banning development of vast energy reserves in oil shale.

Shameful! Harry Reid :stick

In yet another attempt to squelch speech they don't like, the Obama camp once agains resorts to threats to try and get their way. First it is threats to the tax exempt status of the jewish group to disinvite palin, now it's threats to the FCC licenses of stations running ads that the Obama camp doesn't like.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/090...ad.html?showall

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
In yet another attempt to squelch speech they don't like, the Obama camp once agains resorts to threats to try and get their way. First it is threats to the tax exempt status of the jewish group to disinvite palin, now it's threats to the FCC licenses of stations running ads that the Obama camp doesn't like.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/090...ad.html?showall

Yes, you're right, they should keep spreading lies. Sounds like the normal McCain stance, so I don't question why you would back it. Lies = good for America

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
Yes, you're right, they should keep spreading lies. Sounds like the normal McCain stance, so I don't question why you would back it. Lies = good for America

You must not have read the whole story, where the NRA proves that they are correct, so they are not lies. Maybe click the link and read instead of responding in a kneejerk fashion.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 08:03 AM)

So you'd be OK with McCain's camp trying to have everyone shutdown that spread all of the Palin lies?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
You must not have read the whole story, where the NRA proves that they are correct, so they are not lies. Maybe click the link and read instead of responding in a kneejerk fashion.

I read the link. They were factual... in the 90's.

Why not just put "McCain Supports Disco!" up there while we're at it?