The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
I realize you're joking here but it's sad that there are so many people out there from both ends of the spectrum that would seriously react this way.

I know it sounds funny, but I crossover all of the time. I have actually worked on campaigns of Democrats before. I plan on voting for Lugar.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
I think I've mentioned it here before but Kerry and Obama are the only Dem candidates I have ever voted for President.

I voted:

Clinton > Bush Jr. > Kerry > Abstained (essentially my vote of no confidence/none of the above) > ?? (this year)

And people call me a republican around here. :D

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Who do you usually vote for?

I honestly try to look at the issues and see who best aligns with my priorities. I wish we had a strong 3rd party because the two major ones are pretty awful for the most part.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
I honestly try to look at the issues and see who best aligns with my priorities. I wish we had a strong 3rd party because the two major ones are pretty awful for the most part.

I can understand that from the other side of the spectrum. I'm constantly torn between being an idealist and a pragmatist. Do I want the perfect ultra-right guy who's going to get his ass beat because he can't get any independent votes, or do I want a less perfect guy who's got a good shot at winning? And while I know some people who want the perfect one at all costs, for me, the choice is obvious. Romney's not perfect, but I like him, and more importantly, I'm not going to let his few flaws keep me away in November and send Barry back to the White House. Seems counterproductive. I might as well do what I can to push the country in my favored direction, even if the steps are small, right? So call me a Republican by default. It's not perfect, but it is a vehicle for electoral victory and it's currently the right wing's modicum for change, whether we like it or not.

Oh yeah, somewhere I rethought my vets-only thing. Military experience is always a big plus for a candidate who wants my vote, and I really do wish that it was like the old days when a CiC was simply expected to be a vet (OK, maybe I'm dreaming a little...I just learned that Taft through FDR weren't vets, but Truman through Bush 41 were). Either way, if there isn't a right-wing vet to vote for, I'm going to go with the pragmatism expressed in the last paragraph. Romney didn't serve but it makes no sense to reject him for it, and in doing so, return to the White House a different guy who doesn't share my views and also didn't serve. Small steps, if nothing else is possible.

Ronald Reagan . . . was confronted by a bunch of screaming hippies back in his days as governor of California. They swarmed his car yelling at him for cutting education funding or some such. One fellow — who I like to imagine looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo — held up a sign to Reagan’s car window saying “We are the future!”

Reagan quickly grabbed a pen from his suit pocket and wrote something down on piece of paper and thrust it to his side of the window so the kid could read it. It said: “I’m selling my bonds!”

:headbang

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
totally. and it proves how non-racist she is.

(You do realize that the reason she's talking about this has nothing to do with her proving she's not racist and instead this is one of those "resume padding" discussions, right?)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
(You do realize that the reason she's talking about this has nothing to do with her proving she's not racist and instead this is one of those "resume padding" discussions, right?)

the Native American thing or her 1 black friend proves she's not racist and puts that on her resume?

haha

but yes I know that she supposedly got special preference because of her "Native American" ancestry.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)

Well obviously. She's a Democrat and that means she gets the "Not a racist" for life card.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Well obviously. She's a Democrat and that means she gets the "Not a racist" for life card.

And obviously, she's a Democrat so that means Republicans assume she's a racist, apparently, because otherwise I can't figure out why any of these posts exist.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
And obviously, she's a Democrat so that means Republicans assume she's a racist, apparently, because otherwise I can't figure out why any of these posts exist.

The standards are different, duh. I apologize to your liberal all-knowingness.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
The standards are different, duh. I apologize to your liberal all-knowingness.

Clearly, if I walked into the other thread and replied to your "Maybe you should vote for Romney" line with "perhaps I should, he probably has a black friend", everyone would be confused and wonder why I brought that up and probably legitimately start making the reverse racist accusation, whereas here, we're on about the 10th post, and it's clearly me who deserves to be made fun of for not understanding whatever it is about the Democrats that we're making fun of.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
Clearly, if I walked into the other thread and replied to your "Maybe you should vote for Romney" line with "perhaps I should, he probably has a black friend", everyone would be confused and wonder why I brought that up and probably legitimately start making the reverse racist accusation, whereas here, we're on about the 10th post, and it's clearly me who deserves to be made fun of for not understanding whatever it is about the Democrats that we're making fun of.

Its is always different after all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
it's clearly me who deserves to be made fun of for not understanding whatever it is about the Democrats that we're making fun of.

agreed. you should probably leave the thread before you embarrass yourself further.