The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 11:31 PM)
Every teacher should make 6 figures, and college standards should be raised(require all teacher's to have a masters or more).

You do that and you eliminate the people who fall into teaching because they didn't know what to do with their lives.

We also need to eliminate the importance on standardized testing. It's an absolute sin how much instruction time I have to lose this year in order to prepare students for standardized test. If we stop teaching to the test and start teaching the students, and we get the best people in the teaching profession education will turn around in this country.

More money isn't the problem here. Teachers make a good living, especially with benefits. And money isn't stopping good teachers from coming through the system because it's (1) still an insanely competitive industry and (2) there a ton of amazing teachers.

The problem is our society and parenting specifically. We now EXPECT teachers to provide for our kids, when in reality teachers are meant to teach kids some things that parents don't have the time or expertise to teach them. If a kid f***s up in school, it's not the parents fault, it's the teachers and that's f***ed.

Also, I agree with getting rid of standardized testing, so long as you meet me halfway and get rid of the tenure system. An out of touch, grumpy old teacher working the last 5 years to get that nice pension bump screws up the system. Same with the bureaucracy behind school boards. There's no reason for those boards to have as much power and authority as they do. Running a school district isn't rocket science, and it's ridiculous how much school administrators make and how much authority they have. What's wrong with having the principal be the main authority figure at every school? Our system is stupid.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 06:23 AM)
Fox & Friends has three in one show

Don't watch it, i'm just talking about the "face" of the networks. I don't really find O'Reilly as annoying from the partisan side as I do Hannity, Matthews and Maddow. There might be others, but again, I don't watch either network.

SPEAKING OF liberal bias, anyone see the Drudge links to how MSNBC and NBC didn't air any minority speakers at the RNC? Ya think that's just coincidence, or does that feed the "GOP is only full of racist white people" stereotype?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Don't watch it, i'm just talking about the "face" of the networks. I don't really find O'Reilly as annoying from the partisan side as I do Hannity, Matthews and Maddow. There might be others, but again, I don't watch either network.

SPEAKING OF liberal bias, anyone see the Drudge links to how MSNBC and NBC didn't air any minority speakers at the RNC? Ya think that's just coincidence, or does that feed the "GOP is only full of racist white people" stereotype?

No one should ever see Drudge links because he's a terrible hack.

Matthews is just a dumb sycophant. He got his tingly leg feelings for Bush, too.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Serious question for all you republicans.

If you don't want to pay teachers a good salary(and you don't if you want to get rid of their unions) how the hell can your keynote speaker stand up there and talk about making sure the teachers are the best of the best and having standards and evaluations they must meet? Making sure the students come first etc etc.

Here's how to fix education. Pay teachers what they're worth and the best people will become teachers. Anyone with any kind of talent is going into other professions because they wont make as much if they're a teacher. Make teaching a respectable profession and pay them like it and you will have good teachers.

Edit: I'm a first year teacher who just graduated college and want to know the answer to this question.

This is such a common mis-perception. Teachers get paid plenty and work 75% of the year. Maybe teachers should stop gaming the system, getting 15 master's degrees, and pricing themselves out of positions.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Why should we eliminate any ability to determine whether you are teaching your kids anything?

Maybe not eliminate them totally, but there shouldn't be as much emphasis on the results. Plenty of studies have shown that some intelligent kids just suck at taking standardized tests. Studies have also shown that when teacher/school evaluations are based on test scores, the teachers/schools basically just teach students to pass the test. At that point no one is learning, they're learning how to take a test.

I never understood why those evaluations were based on test results or graduation rates. Seems to me one teacher can watch another teacher and determine if he/she is good enough to keep their job. If you get stuck in a s***ty school district with some s***ty kids that's not really your fault as the teacher.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)

Without looking, can you name any of them?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
There is a media blackout (pun.intended) of those speakers. Of course he doesnt know who they are

And not because they're people no one has heard of anyway? One of them was a former Democratic Congressman, the other was a guy from Puerto Rico, and if I passed them in the hallway I wouldn't know who either of them was.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Mia Love and Davis are the two I can recall, and I believe there were 2 or 3 others.

(Just for reference, this is also the first time I've ever heard the name "Mia Love". Just googled out of interest to see who he/she was.)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
Outside of Chicago, who had heard of Barack Obama before his convention speech?

Obama was giving the keynote speech, and they've cut back on total coverage since 2004.

Maybe it's a good thing that they didn't cover the Puerto Rican speech, though, since some in the crowd began chanting "USA! USA!" when she started speaking.

edit: The chants were likely related to the Ron Paul supporters being pissed off about their votes not counting or something, but the optics are still terrible.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Obama was giving the keynote speech, and they've cut back on total coverage since 2004.

Maybe it's a good thing that they didn't cover the Puerto Rican speech, though, since some in the crowd began chanting "USA! USA!" when she started speaking.

Did they broadcast Chris Christie's speech last night? Because a keynote speech is usually broadcast. That's why you give that speaker the Keynote, because that's one of the speeches that typically gets covered.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Did they broadcast Chris Christie's speech last night? Because a keynote speech is usually broadcast. That's why you give that speaker the Keynote, because that's one of the speeches that typically gets covered.

The broadcast networks covered the convention between 10 and 11PM yesterday, similar time frames will be covered today and tomorrow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
Outside of Chicago, who had heard of Barack Obama before his convention speech?

He gave the keynote speech. If you want to give that girl from Utah the keynote speech, go for it, shell get on tv. In my opinion the Democrats gave him that spot to help make sure he won that seat.

You guys spend way to much time worrying about the media, who cares what they think? The real problem for the platform is their stance on most social issues.

I think that in the future Republican's are going to be viewed as being on the wrong side of the fence. My thoughts are, no matter how right the South was on other issues, you just couldnt get on that bandwagon because of slavery.

Social freedom trumps economy.

(edit)

I know this is the republican thread so delete this if you want, or I can put it in the democrat thread.

Edited by Soxbadger