• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know how to embed youtube videos, mods feel free to edit this post to embed

Short of giving a different answer, I thought Mitt handled it as well as he could. Still goes to show you how important this issue is. I know the typical response is "this shouldn't be a top campaign issue" ... but if as much as 5-10% of the population is being shorted part of their rights as citizens (or at least, much of the USA perceives it as such), this IS a big deal. Things like this conversation will keep happening and it will hurt Mitt.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Don't know how to embed youtube videos, mods feel free to edit this post to embed

Short of giving a different answer, I thought Mitt handled it as well as he could. Still goes to show you how important this issue is. I know the typical response is "this shouldn't be a top campaign issue" ... but if as much as 5-10% of the population is being shorted part of their rights as citizens (or at least, much of the USA perceives it as such), this IS a big deal. Things like this conversation will keep happening and it will hurt Mitt.

the issue is not going to effect the election. maybe in your mind it will, but overall it means nothing compared other issues. non-factor basically.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
the issue is not going to effect the election. maybe in your mind it will, but overall it means nothing compared other issues. non-factor basically.

I don't think you realize the portion of Americans that vote based solely on social issues...it's a staggering amount

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
I don't think you realize the portion of Americans that vote based solely on social issues...it's a staggering amount

oh plenty of people do. but your 'win' issue will not win Obama anything. Draw, at best. If you look at any polls showing the order of issues, ranked by relevance to voters, social issues are down big time.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
oh plenty of people do. but your 'win' issue will not win Obama anything. Draw, at best. If you look at any polls showing the order of issues, ranked by relevance to voters, social issues are down big time.

And one other thing...a lot of those votes are pretty much locked in. Mitt Romney looking like the standard GOP homophobosaur isn't going to suddenly move a whole lot of them.

I even looked to see what the "sweet" part was. I'm sure not finding it.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/09...eet-135159.html

"It is a bittersweet moment for the entire nation," Biden told families, friends and dignitaries gathered at the memorial to the 40 passengers and crew who died on Sept. 11, 2001.

"We wish we didn't have to be here, wish we didn't have to commemorate any of this," he said, drawing on his own sudden loss, when his first wife and young daughter died just before Christmas in 1972.

"I ... know from my own experience that today is just as momentous a day for all of you, just as momentous day in your life, each of your families, as every September 11th has been, regardless of the anniversary," he said. "For no matter how many anniversaries you experience, for at least an instant, the terror of that moment returns, the lingering moment of that phone call, the sense of total disbelief that envelops you. You feel like you're being sucked into a black hole in the middle of your chest."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Sadly, there's a lot of truth in this:

Middle-class white dude is oblivious to what his policy preferences actually mean, where they're rooted and how they work in practice. A good video.

lol, it even has a "but some of my best friends are black!" line in there. And a defense of Trent Lott.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:40 AM)
Is what Romney said about 47 percent of Obama supporters being government freeloaders the straw that broke his back as a candidate? He seems like he doesn't give a flip about the poor. Is he done?

People are trying to make this mean more than it actually does. It won't affect the votes he was going to get from them anyway.

The same poor people that were going to vote for Romney will still do so. The same poor people that weren't...won't. Think about it, do you honestly think that the gun rights religious crazies in the back hills of are going to vote for Obama? Not a chance. By that same token, do you think many people in the Englewood area are going to vote for Romney? Again, not a chance.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 05:48 AM)
People are trying to make this mean more than it actually does. It won't affect the votes he was going to get from them anyway.

The same poor people that were going to vote for Romney will still do so. The same poor people that weren't...won't. Think about it, do you honestly think that the gun rights religious crazies in the back hills of are going to vote for Obama? Not a chance. By that same token, do you think many people in the Englewood area are going to vote for Romney? Again, not a chance.

This certainly doesn't help him with independents. Especially his "I don't have to do anything but win the election and the economy will automatically get better" comment.