The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
So what's your solution? Throw them all on the street?

After so many years, yep. I'd say from this day forward anyone that goes into public housing understand that it's for a set period of time. After that, you're out. I really don't think 4-5 years is that harsh.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
After so many years, yep. I'd say from this day forward anyone that goes into public housing understand that it's for a set period of time. After that, you're out. I really don't think 4-5 years is that harsh.

So when you triple the amount of homeless in the country you'll finally be happy.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
So when you triple the amount of homeless in the country you'll finally be happy.

And if we keep going the way we're going, they'll all end up homeless anyway...

Is that a good solution? We've been kicking the can down the road for far too long. Eventually, it will come to an end.

Something has to be done in either case. Balta is doing nothing but talking nonsense as if the way we are headed is a great direction. Eventually the money is going to run out (it already has, hence deficit spending/growing debt), and when the borrowing dries up (on our way), what happens to these people when the government has nothing left to give them?

In either case, the outcome ends up being the same...but let's not talk about that, right?

I've already conceded Balta lives on fantasy island, where the money will never run out, despite the fact that I know he's smarter than that. Fantasy Island aside, how about we discuss the reality of the situation?

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
And by that standard, a person who took "A couple of years" to get their lives together and pull their family out of poverty would be "abusing the system".

When it's someone you know, "it's always different".

This is just so stupid, the only response it deserves is this one. Next time, just don't click reply. You had nothing of worth to add to the conversation with this post. It was THAT dumb.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

I think if you forced people to find their own housing you'd be surprised that they'll find it, either on their own or with other family members. I'm not sure why it ever became societies responsibility to take care of someone for life. Your self and your family should be one and two on that list, and there are a number of charitable organizations out there too.

In either case, something needs to be done. Phase it out if you must, but this nanny state mentality which is growing and growing is simply not sustainable. I'm sure in the next decade taxes will be raised and the economy will continue to be stagnant and more and more people will stop becoming self-sufficient and instead rely on the government. Nearly 50% of people in this country think that way. That's f***ing sad.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
Can't we require that these people seek work?

We can't even agree to drug test people that accept free government money, and you think making them work for it would fly? I'd be in favor of this plan, the City needs a lot of cleaning up, but you can guess how that system will end up - they'll want to be paid in addition to their housing, they'll want benefits, they'll want shorter hours, etc.

Edit: and then they'll unionize!

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
I think if you forced people to find their own housing you'd be surprised that they'll find it, either on their own or with other family members. I'm not sure why it ever became societies responsibility to take care of someone for life. Your self and your family should be one and two on that list, and there are a number of charitable organizations out there too.

In either case, something needs to be done. Phase it out if you must, but this nanny state mentality which is growing and growing is simply not sustainable. I'm sure in the next decade taxes will be raised and the economy will continue to be stagnant and more and more people will stop becoming self-sufficient and instead rely on the government. Nearly 50% of people in this country think that way. That's f***ing sad.

Judging by their posts, even THEY think that way. They have this notion that the money will never run dry, only it already has, and this point we're playing a game of kick the can down the road. Our debt continues to grow, at an alarming pace, with no end in sight. To them, that debt is just a fantasy number...it doesn't matter.

Only it does matter, whether they like it or not.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
This is just so stupid, the only response it deserves is this one. Next time, just don't click reply. You had nothing of worth to add to the conversation with this post. It was THAT dumb.

so i'm not trying to screw you here Y2HH, i actually like you even though we disagree on everything

but i was banned a week and a half ago for saying "your head is up your ass"

mods, why is this post different?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
so i'm not trying to screw you here Y2HH, i actually like you even though we disagree on everything

but i was banned a week and a half ago for saying "your head is up your ass"

mods, why is this post different?

I don't think I insulted 'him' per-say, as much as his post. I think he used my example, which was personal, to take a shot at the hyperbolic talking points in the news right now...which is why I called it dumb.

...and Lostfan probably hasn't read it yet. He suspends me once a week.

And we don't disagree on everything, either...you'd probably be surprised how much we agree on.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
And if we keep going the way we're going, they'll all end up homeless anyway...

Is that a good solution? We've been kicking the can down the road for far too long. Eventually, it will come to an end.

Something has to be done in either case. Balta is doing nothing but talking nonsense as if the way we are headed is a great direction. Eventually the money is going to run out (it already has, hence deficit spending/growing debt), and when the borrowing dries up (on our way), what happens to these people when the government has nothing left to give them?

In either case, the outcome ends up being the same...but let's not talk about that, right?

I've already conceded Balta lives on fantasy island, where the money will never run out, despite the fact that I know he's smarter than that. Fantasy Island aside, how about we discuss the reality of the situation?

The amazing reality winds up being...so few people actually are in the "Moocher" group that everyone complains about...that the best way to make the money run out is to keep kicking people out into the streets, because then they wind up arrested and put in hospitals or prisons.

People don't want to live in public housing. People don't want to have to worry about whether they/their children can eat. Some people will take advantage of anything you do, yes. But the person you knew, or Governor Romney, or Craig T. Nelson (Link)...that's the reality. People get in trouble and sometimes even take years to get themselves out...but when they do, it's a benefit to everyone. That not only helps that person, but it helps society, the economy as a whole, and future generations as well.

(And government spending has stayed flat/decreased over the last several years, once again worth pointing out just to beat that dead horse).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
The amazing reality winds up being...so few people actually are in the "Moocher" group that everyone complains about...that the best way to make the money run out is to keep kicking people out into the streets, because then they wind up arrested and put in hospitals or prisons.

People don't want to live in public housing. People don't want to have to worry about whether they/their children can eat. Some people will take advantage of anything you do, yes. But the person you knew, or Governor Romney, or Craig T. Nelson (Link)...that's the reality. People get in trouble and sometimes even take years to get themselves out...but when they do, it's a benefit to everyone. That not only helps that person, but it helps society, the economy as a whole, and future generations as well.

(And government spending has stayed flat/decreased over the last several years, once again worth pointing out just to beat that dead horse).

I agree with much of that, just not the bolded part:

Bold: All based on counting a one time TARP payment at the end of Bush's presidency.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)

This is the bulls*** mentality right here that I just cannot stand. At some point this HAS to change. The government cannot continue to prop up 10-20% or whatever the figure is of the population on the justification that "well, we'll be doing it one way or the other." At least if they're in hospitals or prisons they're not creating the next generation of "moochers."

I 100% agree that the system itself is a good one in that we want to help and assist those people that have fallen on hard times. But at least in the City of Chicago that kind of assistance is generational. They're not getting any better. And simply propping them up does nothing. Go use that money to fix communities, not just maintain the status quo.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Real wages have been stagnant for decades. The middle class is shrinking and the wealth and income gaps are exploding, especially since the start of this recession.

The problem isn't a "moocher" class of lazy poors. The opportunities to pull yourself out of poverty have been disappearing.

Agreed, so instead of throwing money at the status quo, why not throw the money at creating more opportunities. Ditto with the schools. Instead of throwing money at the schools, throw it into the communities. Shoot, at this point i'm almost ready to pay those kids to show up and get decent grades. You graduate you get a free ride to a community college. Something along those lines. Hopefully a good percentage of those students would take that deal and at least for some generations there'd be some movement up in society.