The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

Ok, so how do we stop or lessen illegal gun ownership? National registry and tracking to crack down on straw purchases?

We accept the fact that there will be illegal gun ownership in this country. We'll never eradicate it, people who really want guns (particularly those looking to commit crimes) will get guns. The worst strategy is to punish non-criminals who want firearms by forcing them through more bureaucracy, fees and other ATF/state government bulls***. It makes no sense, pile more laws on against people who will follow them while the intended targets of the laws keep ignoring them.

But I guess were hooked on ban culture.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of putting people in jail that try to illegally get drugs (something they are usually successful at, if they really want them) and harm primarily themselves...I would much rather we divert those resources to setting up roadblocks for people who try to acquire weapons illegally. Luckily, no one gets addicted to guns so it will be easier to deter. Likewise, nobody can grow a gun in their backyard or their closet so we could fathomably track the path of every gun made to see where along the way it made it into the wrong hands.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
Instead of putting people in jail that try to illegally get drugs (something they are usually successful at, if they really want them) and harm primarily themselves...I would much rather we divert those resources to setting up roadblocks for people who try to acquire weapons illegally. Luckily, no one gets addicted to guns so it will be easier to deter. Likewise, nobody can grow a gun in their backyard or their closet so we could fathomably track the path of every gun made to see where along the way it made it into the wrong hands.

hmmm

The ignorance here is pretty astounding.

What roadblocks? Be more specific. I mean its obvious you cannot help but have government throw away billions on a bulls*** "War on <insert here>" to make you feel good, but at least give us something to go with.

I could build an air rifle accurate to ~30 yards with stuff from a hardware store in a day. So could you. So could anyone. It'd be more than lethal. Also look up guns people have built in prison of like newspapers and s***, its not that difficult to do.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
The ignorance here is pretty astounding.

What roadblocks? Be more specific. I mean its obvious you cannot help but have government throw away billions on a bulls*** "War on " to make you feel good, but at least give us something to go with.

I could build an air rifle accurate to ~30 yards with stuff from a hardware store in a day. So could you. So could anyone. It'd be more than lethal. Also look up guns people have built in prison of like newspapers and s***, its not that difficult to do.

I'd like people like the VT shooter, who should have been flagged, to actually have his info put into the system. I'd like us to be able to track those guns back to the dealer they came from, the distributor before that, etc. Each gun made should have an owner attached to it and that should be up to date. Anyone along the line that f***s that up should be held accountable. Regulating straw purchasing, along with actually giving some teeth to the background checking and registration measures that you think we'd have already.

You should be able to have guns, but they need to be "on the map" so to speak. When my brother traded his car stereo for a Glock via Craigslist, we were shocked that there need not be a paper trail. Our dad is an FFL so we're used to people having to at least get their personal information written down in our records.

This doesn't solve every problem, but it also isn't hurting anyone's rights.

Likewise, I'd much rather deal with a driveby from a weapon made from things bought at a hardware store than an actual gun. With this set-up, if you can consent to the registration of your gun and better background keeping, you get to wield your actual gun against the prison quality ones. People don't want to go to jail to get a gun. There aren't physiological needs for it like drugs, which is why comparing them is useless. Not to mention that the weed I could grow in my yard would actually be like the real thing, not some unrefined imitation that could easily backfire if I don't know what I'm doing.

I'd like people like the VT shooter, who should have been flagged, to actually have his info put into the system. I'd like us to be able to track those guns back to the dealer they came from, the distributor before that, etc. Each gun made should have an owner attached to it and that should be up to date. Anyone along the line that f***s that up should be held accountable. Regulating straw purchasing, along with actually giving some teeth to the background checking and registration measures that you think we'd have already.

This is horses***. "Somelike the VT shooter", and who the hell is that? You want the government investigating all Americans just to make sure they are OK to own a gun? f*** you and your police state.

You should be able to have guns, but they need to be "on the map" so to speak. When my brother traded his car stereo for a Glock via Craigslist, we were shocked that there need not be a paper trail. Our dad is an FFL so we're used to people having to at least get their personal information written down in our records.

This doesn't solve every problem, but it also isn't hurting anyone's rights.

Why does the government have to be involved in every sale? What are they going to add to anything? Paying $50 in fees and filling out some paperwork just to feed the bureaucracy does nothing to make guns safer.

Likewise, I'd much rather deal with a driveby from a weapon made from things bought at a hardware store than an actual gun. With this set-up, if you can consent to the registration of your gun and better background keeping, you get to wield your actual gun against the prison quality ones. People don't want to go to jail to get a gun. There aren't physiological needs for it like drugs, which is why comparing them is useless. Not to mention that the weed I could grow in my yard would actually be like the real thing, not some unrefined imitation that could easily backfire if I don't know what I'm doing.

You said you cant grow guns in your closet, which is wrong.

And NY just went and banned firearms. I really dont care, if people dont want to enjoy their rights there so be it.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 04:54 AM)
This is horses***. "Somelike the VT shooter", and who the hell is that? You want the government investigating all Americans just to make sure they are OK to own a gun? f*** you and your police state.

They do it every time you apply to drive.

And probably...every time you send an email.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
We accept the fact that there will be illegal gun ownership in this country. We'll never eradicate it, people who really want guns (particularly those looking to commit crimes) will get guns. The worst strategy is to punish non-criminals who want firearms by forcing them through more bureaucracy, fees and other ATF/state government bulls***. It makes no sense, pile more laws on against people who will follow them while the intended targets of the laws keep ignoring them.

But I guess were hooked on ban culture.

I actually agree with some of this post. There are always going to be illegal firearms (though there are certainly things that can done to help cut down on those). But what scares me as much as illegal firearms are people who own guns and don't know how to use them.

People like to make the comparison of guns to cars. For the moment, let's assume this is an apt comparison. Yes, people can illegally drive a car, and plenty of people do that. But to legally drive a car, you have to complete a certain number of hours behind the wheel and a class. Would you oppose that kind of requirement to purchase a gun?

I actually agree with some of this post. There are always going to be illegal firearms (though there are certainly things that can done to help cut down on those). But what scares me as much as illegal firearms are people who own guns and don't know how to use them.

People like to make the comparison of guns to cars. For the moment, let's assume this is an apt comparison. Yes, people can illegally drive a car, and plenty of people do that. But to legally drive a car, you have to complete a certain number of hours behind the wheel and a class. Would you oppose that kind of requirement to purchase a gun?

I've never brought up the cars/guns comparison except for once, I think I was pointing how banning semi-automatic rifles while leaving handguns is imposing a horsepower cap on cars.

We also dont have a constitutional right to drive, and on our own property we can drive however the f*** we want. Its from public roads that we get traffic laws.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
I've never brought up the cars/guns comparison except for once, I think I was pointing how banning semi-automatic rifles while leaving handguns is imposing a horsepower cap on cars.

We also dont have a constitutional right to drive, and on our own property we can drive however the f*** we want. Its from public roads that we get traffic laws.

1) speed limits = semi-auto ban/mag limits

2) sure man, have whatever gun you want inside your house. the moment you step outside and that gun could affect the public, you gotta play by our rules.

2) sure man, have whatever gun you want inside your house. the moment you step outside and that gun could affect the public, you gotta play by our rules.

OK. Good, because this is exactly how I think it should be. If you keep it at home and only take it away from your home to go to the range then you should be able to own anything you really want.

If you want to CCW or open-carry? You're in public, play by the rules.

I'm glad we agree.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)

1) driving isn't a right

2) owning guns is a right

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
But owning any gun you want isn't a right.

Very few people will argue with you that normal people should have access to military weapons. but limiting clips from 17 to 10 ot 7 really does nothing except make it LOOK like you are trying to do something. Banning a gun because it is 'scary looking' doesn't do anything either. Just like speech and voting, you can have legal limitations on the exercising of your right, but when the restrictions become overbearing, they are unconstitutional. And I have no issues with a proficiency test for concealed carry.

That may be, but saying "owning guns is a right" doesn't grant you a blanket exemption from justifying your proposed policy unless you really want to go all the way to "any restrictions on arms whatsoever are unconstitutional." And even then, I'd like to know if that's your view of the law simply as it is, or if you believe that it should be that way.

One person's "overbearing" is another person's "reasonable."

Edited by StrangeSox

That may be, but saying "owning guns is a right" doesn't grant you a blanket exemption from justifying your proposed policy unless you really want to go all the way to "any restrictions on arms whatsoever are unconstitutional." And even then, I'd like to know if that's your view of the law simply as it is, or if you believe that it should be that way.

Anything less than a WMD (biological or nuclear weapons) should be available for private ownership.