• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Then why haven't you reported this problem to the authorities?

It's not difficult. Here's the form.

Everybody's seen the proverbial welfare queen buying all that food on foodstamps and then paying cash for her fillets and booze and then loading it up into her new Caddy! Or at least every conservative seems to have seen someone like that.

To whatever extent that there's TANF/SNAP/WIC/Link fraud, nothing Duke's said would have any impact on that.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
You think holding people accountable for receiving government funds is a bad thing? You don't think on some level it would be a good idea to make sure people using those funds are using them for their intended purpose?

Come on, you know there's an important difference between what you're saying here and Duke's modest proposal. I can think holding people accountable for receiving government funds is a good thing without thinking we must "Stigmatize them, force them into oppression, make every day they spend on welfare a living hell... I want them to feel like the whole world would rather they just go away" for receiving those funds.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Everybody's seen the proverbial welfare queen buying all that food on foodstamps and then paying cash for her fillets and booze and then loading it up into her new Caddy! Or at least every conservative seems to have seen someone like that.

To whatever extent that there's TANF/SNAP/WIC/Link fraud, nothing Duke's said would have any impact on that.

You've seriously never seen these people before?

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
LOL. Uh excuse me, can I have your address and social security #, I would like to report you for fraud.

The suspect's Social Security number and birth date are not required but are helpful.

Clearly they're expecting that some of the reports will come in the case of families, where that information might be available, and they're also expecting people to take the time to read 3 sentences of text, which apparently, some will refuse to do.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)

This fraud probably happens more now than it did when there were actually food stamps. You have to give these people credit though, some were very creative. One person used to photocopy her food stamps and try to pass them. But when the blue $5 looks like the brown $1 it is kind of hard to keep a straight face. These dirtballs know the ins and outs and they know the beauracrcy will never catch up to them. And the liberal freaks that want their votes will never do anything to enforce the law. If these people worked 1/2 as hard searching for a job as they do cheating the tax payer, we would be in a better place. And yes I worked at Jewel for five years in the early 90's and saw it all, including your example of getting into a nice car. The only thing you left out was taking their money out of their bra or shoe to pay for their non-food items.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
This fraud probably happens more now than it did when there were actually food stamps. You have to give these people credit though, some were very creative. One person used to photocopy her food stamps and try to pass them. But when the blue $5 looks like the brown $1 it is kind of hard to keep a straight face. These dirtballs know the ins and outs and they know the beauracrcy will never catch up to them. And the liberal freaks that want their votes will never do anything to enforce the law. If these people worked 1/2 as hard searching for a job as they do cheating the tax payer, we would be in a better place. And yes I worked at Jewel for five years in the early 90's and saw it all, including your example of getting into a nice car. The only thing you left out was taking their money out of their bra or shoe to pay for their non-food items.

I'm sure you have some actual data to cite regarding fraud rates, right?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
Nope.

You're right, food stamp fraud is just a problem that affluent white males made up to further their anti-poor or colored person agenda:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ebony-marti...amp-scam-2012-6

An Illinois woman has pleaded guilty to felony theft of nearly $22,000 in food stamps.

Ebony Martin, 34, was still employed as a case worker for the Illinois Department of Human Services in Villa Park when she rigged a food stamp scheme with her boyfriend, reports The Daily Herald's Josh Stockinger.

Using bogus Social Security numbers, she inflated benefits by pretending her boyfriend had four children he didn't, and reportedly collected $21,866 in food stamps in less than a year. The couple then resold the food stamps to friends and family at half-price.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ebony-marti...6#ixzz2MbET0lk3

http://www.illinoisobserver.net/tag/illino...od-stamp-fraud/

Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez’s on-going investigation of Illinois’ food stamp fraud last week nabbed three Chicago-area convenience store owners in a sting operation.

Dubbed “Operation Green Grocer,” the investigation targeted the grocers for making phony transactions with state-issued LINK cards that allowed customers to get cash.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/07/wau...od-stamp-fraud/

CHICAGO (CBS) – The owners of a Waukegan grocery store have admitted to stealing nearly $850,000 from the federal food stamp program.

Next up, sentencing for Khaled Saleh and his wife, Fatima, who ran the Sunset Food Market, 1501 Sunset Ave.

Federal prosecutors are pushing for 2.5 years in prison.

On thousands of occasions, the couple illegally provided cash to customers who made fake purchases on their LINK food stamp cards.

The store owners typically split every dollar 50-50 with the customers — and kept the rest as profit, prosecutors said.

The pair ran the scheme between August 2009 and April 2011, prosecutors said.

Should these proposed welfare requirements apply to childcare, student loan and mortgage subsidies that many Americans receive? How about businesses that receive some sort of government funding, should they be required to open all of their financial records to the public and judicial review as well?

Screw trying to make the system better! It's awesome the way it is!

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x2022728411/Ill...ood-stamp-fraud

Critics of the Illinois legislation say the real problem is an outdated computer system that routinely causes mistakes, not people occasionally selling their LINK card for

drug money or letting someone else use it.

Illinois has the nation's sixth-highest error rate for processing food stamps, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In 2009, 6.2 percent of payments were incorrect, amounting to more than 90,000 cases a month of people getting too much or too little in benefits.

Illinois also has the nation's highest number of cases per employee — a particularly heavy load considering the state's 1980s-era computers require manual data entry rather than electronic transfer of information.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Should these proposed welfare requirements apply to childcare, student loan and mortgage subsidies that many Americans receive? How about businesses that receive some sort of government funding, should they be required to open all of their financial records to the public and judicial review as well?

You have to prove to the government that you spent that money/own that property/have that loan in order to get those credits/deductions.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
You're right, food stamp fraud is just a problem that affluent white males made up to further their anti-poor or colored person agenda:

Oh, did I say that? No, I poked fun at the fact that every single conservative seems to have their own personal "welfare queen" story that they swear is true and they saw first-hand.

Personally, I've never seen it. I'm going to attribute that to three reasons in descending importance:

1) It's actually a rare thing.

2) I never worked in a grocery store like you and ck did, so I've had much less exposure.

3) I don't pay much attention to how the person in front of my pays for their groceries or what car they eventually get into, either, because I've got about a million more important things I could be thinking about.

Great, I never claimed that fraud was 0.00%.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
You have to prove to the government that you spent that money/own that property/have that loan in order to get those credits/deductions.

People on TANF etc. have proven their eligibility, but now you want full public and judicial review of every single expenditure every single person makes. I'd ask the same for money we're subsidizing your mortgage, student loans and child care with. Itemized expense reports with ORIGINAL receipts on the 1st of every month, please. And anything I don't like will be reported to the judge for appropriate review.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Screw trying to make the system better! It's awesome the way it is!

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x2022728411/Ill...ood-stamp-fraud

Don't see anything in that quote that sounds anything like Duke's great ideas. Sounds like a purely administrative thing. Oh and the part right after that was about the high case-load administrators in Illinois have, increasingly the likelihood of these errors when coupled with our outdated computer system. I wonder how many millions of dollars a revamped system would be, though?

Michelle Torres, a 41-year-old mother of nine, said food stamps mean "survival" for her family.

Torres works 40 hours a week and is taking night classes to become a certified nurse's assistant, keeping her in school until 9 p.m. The Chicago resident said putting a photo ID on her LINK card would prevent her babysitter from using Torres' card to buy food for the children. She rejected any suggestion that people on food stamps are simply taking advantage of the system.

The welfare leech that needs to "toughen up" and be publicly shamed, subjected to this:

I wouldn't mind some sort of mandated sign that a person must display that show they are on welfare at all times. Stigmatize them, force them into oppression, make every day they spend on welfare a living hell... I want them to feel like the whole world would rather they just go away.

oh and let's not forget judicial review of her ability to leave the state and public review of all of her spending with the ability to force judicial review.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
People on TANF etc. have proven their eligibility, but now you want full public and judicial review of every single expenditure every single person makes. I'd ask the same for money we're subsidizing your mortgage, student loans and child care with. Itemized expense reports with ORIGINAL receipts on the 1st of every month, please. And anything I don't like will be reported to the judge for appropriate review.

I'm cool with that. I keep those records in case of a tax audit anyway.

Edit: And proving eligibility is the same as me proving I have a loan. But that's not enough for me, I also have to go the extra step of proving how much interest I paid or how much daycare expenses I incurred. Welfare recipients don't have to show anything else.

I mean look, at the end of the day technology is poorly used. We're relying on 16 year old cashiers to make sure that people don't abuse the system. I had to do that and it sucked. Stores shouldn't be responsible for customers. The state should create a system much like WIC, where you have the various food items we deem to be necessary and only those items, checked by a computer, can be purchased with a Link card. Everything else in your shopping basket gets rejected and you have to pay for it with other funds.

You liberals would love that because you can then control a persons diet, and conservatives would love it because I'm not watching a 300 lb "welfare queen" purchase a 4th bag of chips on the public dime.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Don't see anything in that quote that sounds anything like Duke's great ideas. Sounds like a purely administrative thing. Oh and the part right after that was about the high case-load administrators in Illinois have, increasingly the likelihood of these errors when coupled with our outdated computer system. I wonder how many millions of dollars a revamped system would be, though?

The welfare leech that needs to "toughen up" and be publicly shamed, subjected to this:

oh and let's not forget judicial review of her ability to leave the state and public review of all of her spending with the ability to force judicial review.

You can go to the extreme as Duke did, but at the end of the day tracking the dollars spent and enforcing the rules that have already been put in place would be a great start and wouldn't require welfare recipients to become "public slaves."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
You can go to the extreme as Duke did, but at the end of the day tracking the dollars spent and enforcing the rules that have already been put in place would be a great start and wouldn't require welfare recipients to become "public slaves."

So don't say you agree with a lot of Duke's proposals that are entirely about his desire to publicly shame aid recipients.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
You keep a record of every single penny you spend throughout the year and submit it for public review and comment?

For the money I spend that I expect the government will give back to me come tax time, yep.

Edit: I should clarify I don't submit it to public review and comment. But I submit what I have to submit and make the rest available if the IRS really wants to take a look.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
So don't say you agree with a lot of Duke's proposals that are entirely about his desire to publicly shame aid recipients.

He added that "goal" after giving his list. The idea that welfare recipients would have one card, that the card is subject to review, that people can file complaints, that people need permission for big purchases, etc. are all general ideas I agree with.