The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
I honestly don't get what's "insensitive" about this:

http://www.twincities.com/education/ci_255...merican-indians

Pride is a bad word?

I'm sure "pride" isn't the problem, but it is the reference to the Indian based nickname on the biggest weekend of the year for college hockey.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This country sucks.

http://eastgreenwich.patch.com/groups/scho...ls-honors-night

Citing concerns about the "exclusive nature" of the annual honors night at Archie R. Cole Middle School, school officials have decided to scrap the tradition.

Instead, students who would normally be recognized at the annual spring tradition will be honored during team-based recognition ceremonies and graduation.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 20, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)

yeah, can't reward exceptionalism or anything. That would hurt someone's FEELINGS. Can't do that, because they are all just such special kids. Just another step down the participation trophy road...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 20, 2014 -> 09:41 PM)
yeah, can't reward exceptionalism or anything. That would hurt someone's FEELINGS. Can't do that, because they are all just such special kids. Just another step down the participation trophy road...

They are rewarding exceptionalism. It's not like they got rid of the awards.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 20, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
They are rewarding exceptionalism. It's not like they got rid of the awards.

yeah, but they doing in it smaller more private groups, so as not to hurt the feelings of the D students.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 20, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
I like how media saying Hillary Clinton's brain injury is off limits to talk about but EVERYTHING on Sarah Palin was ok. Pot meet kettle.

It's always different. With Bush, golf = baaaad. After Obama's run, Democrats can never ever b**** about how much a President plays golf ever again. With Palin, they can have reporters rent houses next to them and stalk them, that's OK, but ask a hard question of Hillary and you are waging a war on women. Johnny Mac's age and health were fair game when he ran for prez, off limits for Hillary.

"The media" kissed Palin's ass for a much longer time than she deserved. I'm sure they've given her some unfair criticism, but nothing is more absurd than this brain damage BS

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 21, 2014 -> 01:12 AM)
yeah, but they doing in it smaller more private groups, so as not to hurt the feelings of the D students.

Sounds to me like the opposite.

Those individual awards were being given out during a private awards night. Now they're being given out during a more general awards ceremony that includes school and team awards. They'll be presented in front of MORE people.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Sounds to me like the opposite.

Those individual awards were being given out during a private awards night. Now they're being given out during a more general awards ceremony that includes school and team awards. They'll be presented in front of MORE people.

But they're losing the distinction. How do you not get that? Instead of being praised and applauded for being good students, they get roped in with the other morons so the morons don't feel bad. It's like having a track meet and instead of giving the winners of the events 5 seconds of recognition during a medals ceremony, they just wait and hand out medals to everyone, including participation medals, at the same time. It's moronic. It's a bunch of politically correct, oh don't hurt anyone's feelings, no one can be different and unique, progressive bulls*** this country has been transitioning to for the last couple of decades. I'm all about being more opened armed and not being such a white/christian/male dominated society, but enough already with this crap about everyone having to be thought of as the same. We're not. We're different. Some kids are smart, some kids are stupid. Some kids are good at sports, some kids suck at sports. Move the f*** along, it's life. It's not equal or fair and the faster kids learn that, the better off they'll be.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
But they're losing the distinction. How do you not get that? Instead of being praised and applauded for being good students, they get roped in with the other morons so the morons don't feel bad. It's like having a track meet and instead of giving the winners of the events 5 seconds of recognition during a medals ceremony, they just wait and hand out medals to everyone, including participation medals, at the same time. It's moronic. It's a bunch of politically correct, oh don't hurt anyone's feelings, no one can be different and unique, progressive bulls*** this country has been transitioning to for the last couple of decades. I'm all about being more opened armed and not being such a white/christian/male dominated society, but enough already with this crap about everyone having to be thought of as the same. We're not. We're different. Some kids are smart, some kids are stupid. Some kids are good at sports, some kids suck at sports. Move the f*** along, it's life. It's not equal or fair and the faster kids learn that, the better off they'll be.

Just to stress what happened here...."I disagree with liberals and I disagree with this ergo this decision was made because of liberals".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Just to stress what happened here...."I disagree with liberals and I disagree with this ergo this decision was made because of liberals".

The school admin could have been Republican and I'd still be against it 100%. The PC/pussification of society crap is pushed continually by liberals.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
But they're losing the distinction. How do you not get that? Instead of being praised and applauded for being good students, they get roped in with the other morons so the morons don't feel bad.

How are they losing distinction? They still get their names announced and get the award, correct? My high school did the NHS + Salutatorian + Valedictorian stuff during graduation, in front of everyone. They didn't have a separate Honors Night.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
It's like having a track meet and instead of giving the winners of the events 5 seconds of recognition during a medals ceremony, they just wait and hand out medals to everyone, including participation medals, at the same time. It's moronic.

Doesn't seem anything like that to me.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
How are they losing distinction? They still get their names announced and get the award, correct? My high school did the NHS + Salutatorian + Valedictorian stuff during graduation, in front of everyone. They didn't have a separate Honors Night.

Doesn't seem anything like that to me.

It's the exact same as the track scenario. Technically they're still getting the award, but the recognition of the achievement, which is 99% of the reason you work hard to obtain it, was being taken away from them. You think Olympic athletes would want the medal ceremonies to take place all at once, at the closing ceremonies, when everyone else gets a medal? No, you want recognition for working your ass off. You want the spotlight for that 15 seconds.

BTW, I just read that the school has changed it's mind thanks to the public backlash. Good decision.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
It's the exact same as the track scenario.

You're just making things up. You don't even know how the new ceremony was going to work because they didn't specify. My interpretation was that they were going to gather everyone and then celebrate both individual and team-based awards. Your interpretation is that they're not going to celebrate any individuals and just act like everyone is super A+ clap your hands happy friends time.

Technically they're still getting the award, but the recognition of the achievement, which is 99% of the reason you work hard to obtain it, was being taken away from them. You think Olympic athletes would want the medal ceremonies to take place all at once, at the closing ceremonies, when everyone else gets a medal? No, you want recognition for working your ass off. You want the spotlight for that 15 seconds.

If the recognition was equivalent, then why wouldn't athletes want to get it at the closing ceremonies in front of everyone rather than in front of the 80 people sitting in the stands for Skeleton?

BTW, I just read that the school has changed it's mind thanks to the public backlash. Good decision.

Yup, always good when oversensitive conservatives create a backlash over a letter that was just vague enough for them to insert their "liberals are p*****s" fantasies into.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
You're just making things up. You don't even know how the new ceremony was going to work because they didn't specify. My interpretation was that they were going to gather everyone and then celebrate both individual and team-based awards. Your interpretation is that they're not going to celebrate any individuals and just act like everyone is super A+ clap your hands happy friends time.

If the recognition was equivalent, then why wouldn't athletes want to get it at the closing ceremonies in front of everyone rather than in front of the 80 people sitting in the stands for Skeleton?

Yup, always good when oversensitive conservatives create a backlash over a letter that was just vague enough for them to insert their "liberals are p*****s" fantasies into.

No, my interpretation was they were getting rid of a separate event traditionally dedicated to honors students, designed to recognize those students individually for their achievements. They did this because they felt a separate event was too "exclusive" to the morons in the school (aw, we made them feel sad, that's a no no), so they decided to merge that awards night with other "team-based" achievement awards. The particulars about the awards night doesn't really matter - they've still taken away that separate honors night from kids that deserved the honors. One kid was quoted as saying she thought that was BS because she worked hard specifically to be honored separately.

It's always good when morons in charge of our kids are rightly called out for their moronic decisions. It just so happens in this case, the thought process was very much the liberal p**** fantasy that everyone not only needs to be treated equally, but that the results of everything in life should be equal too.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
No, my interpretation was they were getting rid of a separate event traditionally dedicated to honors students, designed to recognize those students individually for their achievements. They did this because they felt a separate event was too "exclusive" to the morons in the school (aw, we made them feel sad, that's a no no)

There you go again adding in your own interpretation. Nothing in there says the problem with the event being exclusion was making people feel badly. It's not possible they want awards ceremonies to include the entire school or for teams to be recognized at the same event as individuals?

, so they decided to merge that awards night with other "team-based" achievement awards. The particulars about the awards night doesn't really matter

They seemed to matter when you were pretending that individuals weren't going to be recognized.

- they've still taken away that separate honors night from kids that deserved the honors. One kid was quoted as saying she thought that was BS because she worked hard specifically to be honored separately.

Do you mean the daughter of the "looking for something librul to be outraged at" conservative dad?

It's always good when morons in charge of our kids are rightly called out for their moronic decisions. It just so happens in this case, the thought process was very much the liberal p**** fantasy that everyone not only needs to be treated equally, but that the results of everything in life should be equal too.

Ah, now you have telepathy too.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
There you go again adding in your own interpretation. Nothing in there says the problem with the event being exclusion was making people feel badly. It's not possible they want awards ceremonies to include the entire school or for teams to be recognized at the same event as individuals?

They seemed to matter when you were pretending that individuals weren't going to be recognized.

Do you mean the daughter of the "looking for something librul to be outraged at" conservative dad?

Ah, now you have telepathy too.

Come on, you're being difficult for no reason. When their reason for dong this is "exclusion" of others, what other possible explanation is there? They made a stupid decision. Hell, they should have just lied and said they were combining the award nights for budgetary reasons and no one would have thought twice about it. But they brought up this "exclusion" nonsense, and here we are.

Edit: and I never said they weren't going to be recognized. What I said was they weren't going to be recognized separately, as they were before. Again, i'm not sure how you don't see the difference there.

edit2: Did you have an honors awards night at your school? Perhaps that's the difference here. We did, and I attended and received special recognition. And it was awesome to have a special night for the group of students who were in the various honors programs (and who took special AP classes and worked hard to get those honors). To have our parents/family come to that special event designed for us was great. It would have sucked to just be lumped in with the rest of the student body at a general awards ceremony even if they did call us all out individually and recognized us.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jake @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
If the only reason they are working towards something, especially learning, is for the recognition at the end, we've already failed them

What, why? Should we get rid of college degrees too? Just let people go to class for 4 years and learn stuff?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
When their reason for dong this is "exclusion" of others, what other possible explanation is there?

It can be too "exclusive" by separating those kids' particular achievements from other kids' achievements. It doesn't mean complaints were about sad pandas.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
Edit: and I never said they weren't going to be recognized. What I said was they weren't going to be recognized separately, as they were before. Again, i'm not sure how you don't see the difference there.

Individually and separately are different things. The new ceremony would still have recognized them individually. Is Sally Jones getting less recognition when her name is announced as being on the Honor Roll in front of the entire school than when her name is announced during a ceremony that only 50 kids are invited to? I'd argue she's getting more recognition.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
What, why? Should we get rid of college degrees too? Just let people go to class for 4 years and learn stuff?

College degrees are proof that you learned things. An awards ceremony is just an ego-stroke. That shouldn't be "99%" of the reason kids work hard in school.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)

I didn't go to college because I wanted to be "honored separately." That seems pretty narcissistic, but then again we're talking about junior high kids and they're all pretty much self-centered at that age. And as far as I remember, both regular and honors degree recipients were honored at the same commencement.

I guess I really don't understand the outrage or the "liberal p**** fantasy" here. Maybe some people are really, really into the whole exclusive club thing to the point that getting the exact same honor in front of a larger group is somehow worse than getting that honor in front of a smaller group?

eta: also what is the problem with learning for the sake of learning or personal enrichment? Is learning and individual success only worth it if you're given a ribbon or a certificate to show how smart you are? Talk about coddling, special-snowflake bulls***.

Edited by StrangeSox