The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/21/now-irs-...ls-still-exist/

I hope Democrats realize that by ignoring this they just give the next Republican admin a get-out-of-jail-free card. I can just see the clamor for computer info from President Walker's Chief of Staff over some supposed misstep and 'whoops! sorry, hard drive crashed, no backup. Oh well.'

Yes, because this is the case that sets the precedent of no one being charged when emails are lost/deleted and document preservation rules aren't followed. Totally this case and this case alone. I haven't previously brought up any examples of such a thing happening 7 years ago and being forgotten about with no one charged. And this post is also completely honest. And the poster I'm replying to has a great memory.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I have no idea what that's in reference to, but yes, you are. It's only a potential "distraction" because of dumb bigots and that stance only adds to ithat climate of acceptable bigotry.

This.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-dungy-s-...-195216393.html

It is especially bad when you think about how recently it was that a black headcoach wouldn't have been "totally smooth"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
So, if you don't want to draft a homosexual onto your team (or are of the opinion that you wouldn't, if you could) because of the inevitable distraction it will cause, you're a terrible person?

So if you don't want to draft a black person onto your team (or are of the opinion that you wouldn't, if you could) because of the inevitable distraction it will cause, you're a terrible person?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
This.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-dungy-s-...-195216393.html

It is especially bad when you think about how recently it was that a black headcoach wouldn't have been "totally smooth"

Ugh, dungy has a history of being an anti-gay bigot already. So yeah, not shocking, and it does make him a bad person.

Edit: deadspin also reminded me of his advocacy for Michael Vick after he served his time for torturing and killing animals for fun and profit. Definitely no distractions there!

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I have no idea what that's in reference to, but yes, you are. It's only a potential "distraction" because of dumb bigots and that stance only adds to ithat climate of acceptable bigotry.

Come on, that's bulls***. It's a distraction because of the media covering the story, both for good and bad. You can't deny there won't be coverage, just like you can't deny Manziel or Tebow will/did get crazy amounts of coverage.

At the end of the day I think it's a valid concern when you're talking about a guy who was drafted so late and is very questionable to make any sort of impact at this level. The question becomes is it worth it? Is it worth the headache?

Vick served his time and guess what, was still a very good professional player. There was value there. It made sense to deal with the distractions given what you were going to get. Sam is just a story. Most coaches/scouts don't think he'll make it. And of course if he doesn't, the conclusion will be "oh well it's because he's gay and you're a bigot! That's why he didn't make the team/doesn't start!"

I'm sure Dungy is full of s*** and he's really just saying I don't want a gay guy on my team. But I don't agree that distraction can't be a legitimate excuse.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
Come on, that's bulls***. It's a distraction because of the media covering the story, both for good and bad. You can't deny there won't be coverage, just like you can't deny Manziel or Tebow will/did get crazy amounts of coverage.

At the end of the day I think it's a valid concern when you're talking about a guy who was drafted so late and is very questionable to make any sort of impact at this level. The question becomes is it worth it? Is it worth the headache?

Vick served his time and guess what, was still a very good professional player. There was value there. It made sense to deal with the distractions given what you were going to get. Sam is just a story. Most coaches/scouts don't think he'll make it. And of course if he doesn't, the conclusion will be "oh well it's because he's gay and you're a bigot! That's why he didn't make the team/doesn't start!"

I'm sure Dungy is full of s*** and he's really just saying I don't want a gay guy on my team. But I don't agree that distraction can't be a legitimate excuse.

If your NFL team is designed such that it couldn't handle this distraction then that's a very poorly run NFL team. That said, I'm very sure there are some.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)

Yes. Someone's rights are more important than people getting pissed. Especially when they're getting pissed for a terrible reason.

What's more, a smart owner could actually use the otherwise "distractions" as an opportunity for community engagement.

And has been brought up plenty of times, here and other places, "distractions" is a bulls*** excuse considering the exploits of some NFL players. I'd rather Michael Sam in the locker room than Ray Rice or Josh Brent.

You guys are calling people terrible and bigots for not supporting something ENOUGH. You're saying an owner could have legitimate concerns with the controversy and/or POTENTIAL controversy Sam is going to bring (protests at games and the security that may come with it, a player saying something to a reporter that's offensive and makes the team/brand look bad, being questioned and no doubt accused of being personally homophobic if he doesn't make the roster or play, etc. etc.) That's a bunch of bulls***.

I can get your beef if it's about Tony Dungey and his lame response here that doesn't jive with his past. But there's a legit argument that it's simply not worth getting involved in Sam that has nothing to do with personal opinions about his sexuality. He's not good at football AND not worth the extra stuff he's going to bring with him.

I know Tebow is the poster child for this argument, but there's some truth to it. Teams didn't want him because not only was he not good at football, but he also brought a lot of baggage with him. His religion rubbed people the wrong way. I'm sure you were all 100% in support of him then, calling all of those owners and scouts and coaches terrible people, right?

Refusing to hire someone because they are gay is bigoted and s***ty. Period, end of story. That's all this boils down to. That's entirely what dungys basis and everyone who whines about "distraction" is.

Whether he can hack it in the nfl is a separate discussion.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
Refusing to hire someone because they are gay is bigoted and s***ty. Period, end of story. That's all this boils down to. That's entirely what dungys basis and everyone who whines about "distraction" is.

Whether he can hack it in the nfl is a separate discussion.

I just gave you three legitimate issues that drafting Sam might cause. You could be a supporter of the LGBT community and STILL have reservations about taking Sam. But that doesn't matter, terrible person and bigot!

If one of your criteria boils down to "is he or she gay," you are a dumb bigot. Pretty straight forward.

Edit lol at security concerns because there's a gay person the team. Or God forbid a coach face criticism from the media, that's unheard of. stop making weak excuses for letting bigots keep gay people out.

Edit 2 I guess you may not personally be a bigot, but could be more of a cynical coward along the lines of George "segregation now, segregation forever" Wallace. Still pretty s***ty.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
If one of your criteria boils down to "is he or she gay," you are a dumb bigot. Pretty straight forward.

Well, no one has said that, which is why I think your position here is way too aggressive.

Edit lol at security concerns because there's a gay person the team. Or God forbid a coach face criticism from the media, that's unheard of. stop making weak excuses for letting bigots keep gay people out.

Protests cost money. There could be an escalating incident. Who knows. It may not happen, and hopefully it doesn't, but that's legit possibility. Just because you don't want to deal with that doesn't mean you're a "dumb bigot."

Edit 2 I guess you may not personally be a bigot, but could be more of a cynical coward along the lines of George "segregation now, segregation forever" Wallace. Still pretty s***ty.

Lol, a coward now. What bulls***, and another reason why your position amounts to "if you don't care ENOUGH, you're a terrible person."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 06:59 PM)
You guys are calling people terrible and bigots for not supporting something ENOUGH. You're saying an owner could have legitimate concerns with the controversy and/or POTENTIAL controversy Sam is going to bring (protests at games and the security that may come with it, a player saying something to a reporter that's offensive and makes the team/brand look bad, being questioned and no doubt accused of being personally homophobic if he doesn't make the roster or play, etc. etc.) That's a bunch of bulls***.

I can get your beef if it's about Tony Dungey and his lame response here that doesn't jive with his past. But there's a legit argument that it's simply not worth getting involved in Sam that has nothing to do with personal opinions about his sexuality. He's not good at football AND not worth the extra stuff he's going to bring with him.

I know Tebow is the poster child for this argument, but there's some truth to it. Teams didn't want him because not only was he not good at football, but he also brought a lot of baggage with him. His religion rubbed people the wrong way. I'm sure you were all 100% in support of him then, calling all of those owners and scouts and coaches terrible people, right?

He was a 7th round pick. From everything before the draft, and even before he came out he was in the 5th-undrafted free agent range. He shouldn't make or not make the team because he's gay. It shouldn't matter at all.

Look, I get that that is pie-in-the-sky thinking because people external to the organization (namely the media) will make it seem to matter, whether right or wrong. But that's my point -- a GM and owner should have the common sense to say "Treat him for what he is -- a guy trying to make our football team. If the media makes a ruckus out of it, we'll deal with it the same way as when our star DB got busted for DUI last season." Or, if they want to really go after it, they could use it as a teaching moment. That does clash with the "treat him like any other football player" point of view, though.

And the Tebow comparison isn't completely on point; Michael Sam didn't choose to be gay, Tim Tebow did choose to be a messianic asshole.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
He was a 7th round pick. From everything before the draft, and even before he came out he was in the 5th-undrafted free agent range. He shouldn't make or not make the team because he's gay. It shouldn't matter at all.

Look, I get that that is pie-in-the-sky thinking because people external to the organization (namely the media) will make it seem to matter, whether right or wrong. But that's my point -- a GM and owner should have the common sense to say "Treat him for what he is -- a guy trying to make our football team. If the media makes a ruckus out of it, we'll deal with it the same way as when our star DB got busted for DUI last season." Or, if they want to really go after it, they could use it as a teaching moment. That does clash with the "treat him like any other football player" point of view, though.

And the Tebow comparison isn't completely on point; Michael Sam didn't choose to be gay, Tim Tebow did choose to be a messianic asshole.

For every imagined "issue" caused by hiring a gay person, it's just as easy to imagine a positive especially with the rapidly increasing public acceptance. It's not like the media coverage is negative or critical. You get the support of the lgtb community and their supporters. Your.team gets to be the center of a majority positive storyline for the biggest sport in the country. On a personal level, you can make a difference by rejecting bigotry and letting him stand on his own merits on the field.

Or you can be a coward or a bigot and hide behind "distractions" as your excuse for using someone's sexuality as a hiring criteria.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
For every imagined "issue" caused by hiring a gay person, it's just as easy to imagine a positive especially with the rapidly increasing public acceptance. It's not like the media coverage is negative or critical. You get the support of the lgtb community and their supporters. Your.team gets to be the center of a majority positive storyline for the biggest sport in the country. On a personal level, you can make a difference by rejecting bigotry and letting him stand on his own merits on the field.

Or you can be a coward or a bigot and hide behind "distractions" as your excuse for using someone's sexuality as a hiring criteria.

youre really following that liberal handbook by throwing the bigot card out so much.

as with any sport, if youre going to be a distraction then you better be worth the headache. A marginal player who probably will be a scout team member isnt worth the hassle. Which is exactly why Tebow cant find a job.

I love that you live in fantasyland, but come back to reality. These people are about running a business and making money. And they do it in the most secretive way possible. Drafting Sam is inviting a lot of attention. I get that you think that's great attention, but it might not be for every franchise.

And lol at you thinking there wouldn't be protests. There were f'n protests for Michael Vick. Sam plays in St. Louis, not exactly the most liberal city in America. There SHOULDN'T be a problem, and I hope there's not. But doesn't mean there won't be additional issues that are raised IF he ends up playing a lot. And I'm not saying security risks like they have to hire 40 more guards for the inevitable riot. But they will have to be prepared for something. Remember Christians are all wacko's hell-bent on violence right?

Again, my position is you can be pro-Sam and still understand the baggage that comes with it. Baggage comes with a lot of players but they're generally worth the hassle. Sam may not be. You as an owner deciding that on those basis does not make you a dumb bigot, a terrible person or a coward.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
Not sure what else you call it but bigotry.

If he can't cut it on the field, then cut him. Don't use "distractions" as an excuse to keep gay players out of the nfl.

Again, this is such bulls***. You know as soon as he gets cut or doesn't play there will be people (you probably) claiming it's because he's gay and the owner and GM and coach are all just bigoted assholes. You can't help yourself when it comes to name calling like that. They did it with Tebow (oh it's because he's Christian!) and they'll do it because of Sam being gay. S***, that second guessing and being called names is a main reason I wouldn't have drafted the guy. On top of me not being sold that he's an NFL caliber player, f*** that headache.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

why is he an asshole, because you dont like what he stands for? I dont remember Tebow whoring himself of a reality tv show. I dont remember Tebow saying at his combine that he wanted to only be known as a football player and then started up a website to take advantage of his sudden fame. I dont remember Tebow saying no cameras in his house for draft day and then all of a sudden having cameras in there for a staged reaction shot.

If anyone chose to be something it was Sam and he chose to be a distraction since he left the combine.