The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

The f*** is wrong with these idiots? Liddy is not the one we should be pissed at. He was chosen to clean up this mess. He's basically volunteered to do it. Do these assholes even read the news?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090319...rg/a5n3qjeqkhbs

March 19 (Bloomberg) -- American International Group Inc. Chief Executive Officer Edward Liddy finds himself fighting to prevent the insurer from tarnishing his reputation, a fate suffered by his three predecessors.

Facing another barrage of congressional criticism over bonuses for AIG managers yesterday, Liddy repeatedly reminded lawmakers that he took the job after the U.S. government stepped in with an $85 billion loan in September. He's agreed to a salary of $1 this year.

"He’s probably got one of the worst jobs in America right now," said Robert Haines, an analyst with CreditSights Inc., in a Bloomberg Television interview. "He’s not getting paid. He's one of the most vilified CEOs in America."

The length of Liddy’s tenure hasn’t stopped lawmakers, pundits and a predecessor from taking aim at his credibility and questioning his ability to do the job. Representative Elijah Cummings, a Maryland Democrat, first called for Liddy’s resignation a month into the job. Yesterday’s hearing included a congressman who accused Liddy of malfeasance, and concluded by asking if he had "anything to say for yourself."

"These contracts were all put together before I was at AIG," said Liddy, 63. "I would not have done these contracts this way. And this whole arrangement, if it existed, would have looked a whole lot different. So I really do take offense, sir, at the use of --"

"Well, offense was intended,” said Representative Stephen Lynch, a Massachusetts Democrat. “So you take it rightfully, sir."

Edited by lostfan

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
The f*** is wrong with these idiots? Liddy is not the one we should be pissed at. He was chosen to clean up this mess. He's basically volunteered to do it. Do these assholes even read the news?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090319...rg/a5n3qjeqkhbs

Dumbasses.

Liddy actually managed to keep Allstate conservative and clean, in their investments and finance divisions. He's been at AIG for a whole month, and they expect him to fix everything? Do these people have any business sense at all?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Dumbasses.

Liddy actually managed to keep Allstate conservative and clean, in their investments and finance divisions. He's been at AIG for a whole month, and they expect him to fix everything? Do these people have any business sense at all?

No. this is why they are in congress.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
So who authorized the checks to be cut? He didn't 'know' about these and try to find a way to stop them, KNOWING the PR s***storm that would rain down?

You mean Liddy? He got there after it already happened, it wasn't his idea.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
So who authorized the checks to be cut? He didn't 'know' about these and try to find a way to stop them, KNOWING the PR s***storm that would rain down?

The contracts were written AND vested by the time he got there. I am all in favor of trying to get the money back, because its a B.S. bonus with taxpayer dollars. But I don't blame Liddy for it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
The contracts were written AND vested by the time he got there. I am all in favor of trying to get the money back, because its a B.S. bonus with taxpayer dollars. But I don't blame Liddy for it.

i DO blame him for some of it. He knew (or should have known) that the bonuses were there and tried to do somehting about it. I want a contract like that that pays me bonuses even while I run the company in the ground.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
i DO blame him for some of it. He knew (or should have known) that the bonuses were there and tried to do somehting about it. I want a contract like that that pays me bonuses even while I run the company in the ground.

I think your ire is aimed in the wrong direction. He had near zero control, and by the way, according to news I saw today, he has in fact convinced some of them to return the money.

Besides asking them to return it (which he did), what could he really do? the contracts were already written and signed. A contract is a contract. Even the administration isn't trying to directly abrogate those contracts.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Besides asking them to return it (which he did), what could he really do? the contracts were already written and signed. A contract is a contract. Even the administration isn't trying to directly abrogate those contracts.

Nothing. Blaming Liddy after the fact is just silly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
“He is making all the right moves in terms of playing a bad hand,” Obama on Geithner

or

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." Bush on Michael Brown

I have to agree, I was thinking the same thing.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)

How about asking them not to take it in the first place? Asking them to return it is like closing the barn door after the cows have left.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
How about asking them not to take it in the first place? Asking them to return it is like closing the barn door after the cows have left.

potato potahto. AIG was contractually obligated to give them the bonuses I think by Sunday.

edit: And you're right, the cows did already leave, but Liddy also got there after the cows left, too.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
potato potahto. AIG was contractually obligated to give them the bonuses I think by Sunday.

edit: And you're right, the cows did already leave, but Liddy also got there after the cows left, too.

But he was there before the checks left, regardless of the mobility of the cows, or their vests, and knowing what the reactions WOULD be, he should have TRIED to do something before then, not AFTER most of the country calls for his head. I don't blame him for the contracts, I think he royally f***ed up in not trying to do something before the checks went out. Not as big a f***up for giving out contracts that allow for bonuses when you bankrupt a country, but still a f***up.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
But he was there before the checks left, regardless of the mobility of the cows, or their vests, and knowing what the reactions WOULD be, he should have TRIED to do something before then, not AFTER most of the country calls for his head. I don't blame him for the contracts, I think he royally f***ed up in not trying to do something before the checks went out. Not as big a f***up for giving out contracts that allow for bonuses when you bankrupt a country, but still a f***up.

All right, I see where you're coming from now. I don't really fault Liddy for not being perfect, I mean he has the worst job in America right now and he's basically doing it for free because the government asked him to. I still think the 2 Congressmen that were on his ass are idiots though.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)

I also just got done reading that if hadn't have paid the bonuses he exposed the company to lawsuits that could have cost them 3Xs the bonus amounts or more.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...dent-ob-15.html

President Obama Jokes About Being a Bad Bowler: 'It's Like the Special Olympics'

March 19, 2009 8:56 PM

The first appearance by a sitting president on "The Tonight Show" may well end up being the last.

President Obama, in his taping with Jay Leno Thursday afternoon, attempted to yuk it up with the funnyman, and ended up insulting the disabled.

Towards the end of his approximately 40-minute appearance, the president talked about how he's gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

He bowled a 129, the president said.

"That's very good, Mr. President," Leno said sarcastically.

It's "like the Special Olympics or something," the president said.

When asked about the remark, the White House had no comment.

Facing tough questions about the performance of his Treasury Secretary, $165 million in bonuses for AIG officials and anticipating a fight over his $3.55 trillion budget, the president has not had a particularly good week, and it's unlikely this will help matters.

He just sucks without a prepared speech and a teleprompter. Open mouth, insert foot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...o-in-No-10.html

Seems like Obama's well thought out gift to the British PM DOESN'T EVEN WORK IN ENGLAND!

The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words "wrong region" came up on his screen. Although he mournfully had to put the popcorn away, he is unlikely to jeopardise the special relationship – or "special partnership", as we are now supposed to call it – by registering a complaint

It's a good thing we were saved from a VP in training, and instead have a President in training. It's doing wonders with out relations with our allies.

Edited by Alpha Dog

Looks like one of Schumer's top political aides is busted in a huge pension fund scandal.

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/poli...al/Default.aspx

Hank Morris and David Loglisci were arrested and arraigned in a Manhattan court on 123 counts of enterprise corruption and other felonies, following a two-year investigation by State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo's office.........Morris, who was released on $1 million cash bail and ordered to surrender his passport, is a top political consultant to former Comptroller Alan Hevesi and Senator Charles Schumer.

And just for Tex, notice how there isn't a (D) after Chuckie's name? i thought that the style guiide was only when it was national offie holders?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...o-in-No-10.html

Seems like Obama's well thought out gift to the British PM DOESN'T EVEN WORK IN ENGLAND!

It's a good thing we were saved from a VP in training, and instead have a President in training. It's doing wonders with out relations with our allies.

This was the biggest slap in the face thing in a long long time. This guy seriously has no clue on international political ettiquete (sp)... he's too busy being an arrogant dick. Yes, I said it. I know it's symbolic... but dammit, have your staff take care of the things that are highly symbolic and do the right thing. His mere "presence" is supposed to awe people, and it's becoming very nauseating.

/waits for the "oh it doesn't really matter" pitchfork crowd defending Obama's every breath...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
This was the biggest slap in the face thing in a long long time. This guy seriously has no clue on international political ettiquete (sp)... he's too busy being an arrogant dick. Yes, I said it. I know it's symbolic... but dammit, have your staff take care of the things that are highly symbolic and do the right thing. His mere "presence" is supposed to awe people, and it's becoming very nauseating.

/waits for the "oh it doesn't really matter" pitchfork crowd defending Obama's every breath...

More than anything it reinforced the stereotype of the arrogant Americans who think the world should do everything the way that they do. Bush got tattoed for this all of the time, and it looks like nothing is changing here either in terms of the way things are done.

Seriously? The wrong kind of DVD is "the biggest slap int he face thing in a long long time"? Hell, Obama himself has done worse than that in international relations already and he's been in office for 2 months. Bush did a bazillion things on the international stage more offensive than this.

I'm starting to think maybe you are just going that far over the top now for the entertainment value.

This was the biggest slap in the face thing in a long long time. This guy seriously has no clue on international political ettiquete (sp)

Kinda like BUsh invading a country with no international, NATO, or UN support. I tend to think buying a DVD and not knowing that DVDs have "regions codes" is far from "the biggest slap in the face".

How many Americans... and political figures know DVDs have region codes? I bet 90% have no clue.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000