The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 06:55 AM)
More than anything it reinforced the stereotype of the arrogant Americans who think the world should do everything the way that they do.

How is buying a DVD for a friend "the stereotype of the arrogant Americans"? THe dude bought him a DVD. BIG DEAL!

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
How is buying a DVD for a friend "the stereotype of the arrogant Americans"? THe dude bought him a DVD. BIG DEAL!

The same friends he already snubbed and created an international incident in England with? Yeah, its not a real good follow up to the first big misstep with our closest ally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
The same friends he already snubbed and created an international incident in England with? Yeah, its not a real good follow up to the first big misstep with our closest ally.

what "international incident"?

And dude... it's a freaking DVD!! It's not like he gave the PM polio or the plague.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)

In contrast with what the British PM gave Obama, some elaborate fancy pen set. Obama gave Brown the DVD set and he was probably thinking "WTF I coulda bought this off Amazon." Ultimately this will have no effect on US-UK relations but yeah, it was a flap, a self-inflicted wound. Doing silly dumb s*** and giving his critics easy ammo seems to be a weakness of Obama's.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
In contrast with what the British PM gave Obama, some elaborate fancy pen set. Obama gave Brown the DVD set and he was probably thinking "WTF I coulda bought this off Amazon." Ultimately this will have no effect on US-UK relations but yeah, it was a flap, a self-inflicted wound. Doing silly dumb s*** and giving his critics easy ammo seems to be a weakness of Obama's.

I'm sorry, I thought gifts were all about the thought behind it, not the value. I guess we should have bought Britten a few Gold plated warships to prove our love to them.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm sorry, I thought gifts were all about the thought behind it, not the value. I guess we should have bought Britten a few Gold plated warships to prove our love to them.

At the end of the day it's just a dumb rookie mistake. He needs to stop burning through his mea culpas so fast though.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
what "international incident"?

And dude... it's a freaking DVD!! It's not like he gave the PM polio or the plague.

Its the point of it all. We were told for eight years about every single time Bush did something wrong, and now you all are all sensative about Obama getting the same treatment? Tell me what the reaction would have been if Bush had given non-functioning DVDs to a partially blind guy? Please try to explain to me how no one would have made a big deal out of it.

http://www.thetrumpet.com/index.php?q=6028.4417.0.0

In British-American news, the British administration continues to suffer slights from the White House. After removing a special bust of Winston Churchill from the Oval Office and not holding a joint press conference with Prime Minister Gordon Brown during his visit to the United States, Barack Obama gave Brown a gift of 25 dvd movies, including Star Wars. Coming from the executive of the most powerful nation in the world, the gift is seen as a snub, especially since Brown is blind in one eye and American dvds often do not work in British players. This week, the Obama staff has been incredibly difficult to get a hold of by Downing Street to plan the coming G-20 summit in England, according to the head of Britainâ€s civil service. “There is nobody there,” Gus Oâ€Donnell said. “You cannot believe how difficult it is.” The ongoing indifference toward Britain reveals a crack in the American-British alliance that the Trumpet believes will widen drastically.

The press confrence really looked bad in England. They really hammered Obama for it over there. Of course we didn't hear about it here.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=101561670

gift of a set of DVDs to British Prime Minister Gordon Brown appalled the British media, furious about the lack of traditional protocol afforded to Brown while he was in Washington.

Iain Martin, a columnist and blogger for the Daily Telegraph, wrote that he found Obama to be rudeness personified toward Britain.

Martin tells NPR's Robert Siegel that Britons are used to a full news conference when their prime minister is in town.

"Only at the last moment was it agreed that there would be a small press conference, and, I think, it was read as a metaphor for the concern that Obama really just didn't like having the Brits in town," Martin says. "Yes, he's dealing with the biggest global crisis in 70 years.

"Still, it would have been nice if he could have welcomed Brown with just a hint more enthusiasm."

Well, atleast all the attention isnt making Obama horny.

Joe The Plumber Tells Conservatives: "I'm Horny"

Joe the Plumber -- real name Samuel Wurzelbacher -- told an crowd of conservatives Thursday night that their love was getting him all hot and bothered.

"God, all thi
s
love and everything in the room -- I'm horny," declared Joe.

Wurzelbacher had taken the stage to a standing ovation at the annual "DisHonors" Awards, presented by the Media Research Center, to poke fun liberal media groups. But the "horny" declaration didn't go over too well, according to the Washington Post.

EDIT: Oh good lord, imagine Ann Coulter mating with Joe the Plummer crack... that would be the worlds most annoying person who will never go away or stop talking.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
GOP loves this guy, i tend to think he belongs here.

Not so much here, just about everyone on this site is in unanimous agreement that he's an embarrassment.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
Seriously? The wrong kind of DVD is "the biggest slap int he face thing in a long long time"? Hell, Obama himself has done worse than that in international relations already and he's been in office for 2 months. Bush did a bazillion things on the international stage more offensive than this.

I'm starting to think maybe you are just going that far over the top now for the entertainment value.

No, the fact that he gave the PM of GB DVDs. That's pathetic, considering what they gave him.

Look at southsider's post. Obama IS an embarassment on this stuff. But, just as I predicted, he gets defended... look at the reactions of AHB - and I would say that it's typical... defend Obama at all costs, while everything GOP people do is the "real" embarassment.

And the "red button" incident. I mean, holy s***, what the hell are these people doing? It's pathetic.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...dent-ob-15.html

He just sucks without a prepared speech and a teleprompter. Open mouth, insert foot.

Tonight on Countdown with Keith Toolberman:

Tonight's worst person in the world: Bill O'Reilly and Fix News for really thinking Obama meant to imply any malice toward Special Olympics participants. Bill-o and Fix.....Worst Persons in the Worrrrrrrlllllllllddddddd!

Spin it like a 45, Keith..

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Kinda like BUsh invading a country with no international, NATO, or UN support. I tend to think buying a DVD and not knowing that DVDs have "regions codes" is far from "the biggest slap in the face".

How many Americans... and political figures know DVDs have region codes? I bet 90% have no clue.

But being the most tech savvy White House,(just ask them they'll tell you), you would think they might have a clue about something like this. But maybe the last minute gift buying at Best Buy had something to do with it. ;)

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
But being the most tech savvy White House,(just ask them they'll tell you), you would think they might have a clue about something like this. But maybe the last minute gift buying at Best Buy had something to do with it. ;)

They probably got them on clearance at Circuit City :lol:

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
Well, he wants to cut back on government waste. Why spend $100, when you can spend $22?

Yeah, judging by the bills they have passed, that is an absurd idea. The 22 DVDs were probably a $2 million dollar earmark.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)

By that measure, the British gift was much more thoughtful. It was a pen made out of the same wood as the desk in the Oval Office, which, IIRC came from an old British warship.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Tonight on Countdown with Keith Toolberman:

Tonight's worst person in the world: Bill O'Reilly and Fix News for really thinking Obama meant to imply any malice toward Special Olympics participants. Bill-o and Fix.....Worst Persons in the Worrrrrrrlllllllllddddddd!

Spin it like a 45, Keith..

Actually he's called out Obama a few times before. Not often but if Obama f***s up bad enough Olbermann will say something. I haven't watched him lately though.