The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Looks like one of Schumer's top political aides is busted in a huge pension fund scandal.

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/poli...al/Default.aspx

And just for Tex, notice how there isn't a (D) after Chuckie's name? i thought that the style guiide was only when it was national offie holders?

Nor do they here:

http://www.kdbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=100...nav=menu608_2_3

http://www.koat.com/news/18945204/detail.html

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/S...20News/2215973/

And here..:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/nyregion...rss&emc=rss

They probably forgot. But the Times does mention that the firestorm has encouraged Republicans.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diane Sawyer: "You know, I wanted to sit on a jury once and I was taken off the jury. And the judge said to me, 'Can, you know, can you tell the truth and be fair?' And I said, 'That's what journalists do.' And everybody in the courtroom laughed. It was the most hurtful moment I think I've ever had." :lol:

http://newsbusters.org/node/14050

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Diane Sawyer: "You know, I wanted to sit on a jury once and I was taken off the jury. And the judge said to me, 'Can, you know, can you tell the truth and be fair?' And I said, 'That's what journalists do.' And everybody in the courtroom laughed. It was the most hurtful moment I think I've ever had." :lol:

oh thats great.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)

Spectacular.

Complements of National Review:

Senator Dodd's Nine Lives Are about Up [Victor Davis Hanson]

Let us count them . . .

1. He claimed that he had not the slightest involvement in the AIG bonus exemption that he in fact helped insert.

2 He got more AIG money than anyone in the Congress — more even than Barack Obama, who came in second.

3. He got a sweetheart deal on an Irish "cottage" from a crooked stock-trader.

4. He got two preferential discount mortgage interest deals from the now-bankrupt Countrywide.

5. He was one of the Fannie Mae-enabling overseers at a time it was going broke and giving senators like Dodd himself campaign cash — he topped out near $134,000 higher than anyone else.

6. He got a sweetheart profit deal from a condo joint-buy with crook Edward Downe, Jr.

7. He intervened with the Clinton administration to get the felon Downe pardoned.

8. He misrepresented the value of his Irish cottage that he obtained via the agency of the dubious Mr. Kessinger.

9. He is the nation's premier hypocrite as he lambastes Wall Street crooks and insiders from his collapsing soapbox.

Well, those are the proverbial nine lives — so, Senator Dodd, time to go: "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and lets us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

I'm sure the fine people of California will love this...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/local...an_gets_ma.html

California congressman gets Maryland tax break after declaring Anne Arundel waterfront home as primary residence

Bloomberg News is reporting that Rep. Pete Stark, a California Democrat who is the second-ranking majority member of the Ways and Means Committee, has received tax breaks for declaring his $1.7 million waterfront home in Anne Arundel County as his primary residence.

Stark received state and county homestead tax breaks worth $3,853 in 2007 and 2008, Bloombergâ€s Tim Burger reported. Stark told the news organization that while he lives in the home for about two-thirds of the year, he votes in the California Bay Area district he represents, and he and his wife have California driverâ€s licenses.

Assessment officials in Maryland have said they will look into the matter.

A week ago, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Eliot Engel, a Democrat who represents the Bronx, was declared ineligible to receive a homestead exemption in Montgomery County, where county officials now say they will review the property records of members of Congress living there.

Maryland property records show that Starkâ€s home – owned with his wife, Deborah – is valued for tax purposes at $1.7 million, and sits on 6.35 acres of waterfront property in Harwood. It appears he has owned the home since 1992.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
I'm sure the fine people of California will love this...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/local...an_gets_ma.html

If a normal person (e.g., not a Congressman who is supposed to live in that district) did that, it probably wouldn't be a big deal would it?

I claimed IL residency all the way until I got out of the military because IL didn't tax military pay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Well this does make him eligible to be in the cabinet now...

I actually just finished paying the rest of my taxes to the federal gov't, I guess I'm ineligible to be a senior administration official. :headbang

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
If a normal person (e.g., not a Congressman who is supposed to live in that district) did that, it probably wouldn't be a big deal would it?

I claimed IL residency all the way until I got out of the military because IL didn't tax military pay.

My concern is that it techincally makes them ineligible to respresent their district because by his own admission, his primary residence is elsewhere. Not to mention Joe Biden thinks he is not patriotic anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
My concern is that it techincally makes them ineligible to respresent their district because by his own admission, his primary residence is elsewhere.

Right. Sounds like he's technically following the law, but if you pay taxes to Maryland, that kind of makes you a resident of Maryland, doesn't it?

edit: And anyone who wants to use Maryland as an alternative for income tax because it's lower must really have some high ass taxes, because our tax rates really blow ass here.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
My concern is that it techincally makes them ineligible to respresent their district because by his own admission, his primary residence is elsewhere. Not to mention Joe Biden thinks he is not patriotic anymore.

Yeah, if he was my rep, he probably just lost my vote in the next election.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
Right. Sounds like he's technically following the law, but if you pay taxes to Maryland, that kind of makes you a resident of Maryland, doesn't it?

edit: And anyone who wants to use Maryland as an alternative for income tax because it's lower must really have some high ass taxes, because our tax rates really blow ass here.

I pay taxes to IL because I work here, but my primary residence is still IN. The legal aspect is beyond me, because I don't know tax law at all, but how can you legally claim to represent a district if you are legally claiming to be a primary resident of another state?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
I pay taxes to IL because I work here, but my primary residence is still IN. The legal aspect is beyond me, because I don't know tax law at all, but how can you legally claim to represent a district if you are legally claiming to be a primary resident of another state?

I believe each state can dictate the necessities of residence of their US house reps.

Videos and/or audios for each are at the link

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnden/..._and_joe_biden_

Top 10 gaffes by Barack Obama and Joe Biden

Posted By: Toby Harnden at Mar 20, 2009 at 16:35:26 [General]

Posted in: Foreign Correspondents

Tags:

Perhaps Barack Obama was just trying to make Joe Biden feel better by dropping his clanger on Jay Leno. Whatever the President was thinking, 60 days into their new administration it's time for a post-election Obama-Biden Top 10, in reverse order:

10. Just after he's been sworn in by him, the newly-minted Vice President Joe Biden gets the name of Justice John Paul Stephens, "one of the great justices" of the Supreme Court, calling him "Justice Stewart":

9. Barack Obama jokes about Nancy Reagan having séances in the White House. He later called her to apologise after the AP noted that although she had consulted astrologers, "she did not hold conversations with the dead":

8. Joe Biden forgets the "website number" for the White House internet site designed to show how TARP money is being spent:

7. Barack Obama mixes up the windows and doors at his new home:

6. Joe Biden jokes about Chief Justice John Roberts fluffing the inauguration oath. The president is visibly annoyed with his veep and Biden later apologises:

5. A Marine One double. First, on his maiden Marine One trip Obama breaches protocol and makes life uncomfortable for an enlisted marine by shaking the the serviceman's hand as he's saluting his commander-in-chief:

Then - Gerald Ford, eat your heart out. Barack Obama bangs his head as he boards his helicopter:

4. Joe Biden tells his wife that he had the choice of being either Secretary of State or vice-president - an offer that was news to Obama aides and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when Jill Biden spilled the beans on Oprah:

3. Gordon Brown presents the new President with: a pen holder carved from the timbers of HMS Gannett, a sister ship of HMS Resolute; the commissioning certificate of HMS Resolute; and a seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill. In return, the Prime minister gets 25 DVDS, which don't work in Britain:

2. Joe Biden tells a former Senate colleague who addresses him as "Mr Vice-President" to "give me a f---ing break":

1. The latest one takes the biscuit. Barack Obama jokes about the disabled on the Jay Leno show. Afterwards, he calls the head of the Special Olympics to apologise:

Hmmm. Two interesting pictures, IMO.

First, capitalism is organized crime? WTF? Yea, yea, fringe loonies, and DukeNukeEm. Okay. You know, though, that's JUST the message that Democrats are sending. After this week, it's pretty much proven.

But I have to love the OBAMAMania! that is taking place, and I think this picture displays it nicely. I understand the "history" and all, but holy s***... this guy IS a rock star, just like I was mocking last summer. IMO, his Leno appearance is tacky, at best, forget the "special olympics" comment, which is stupid to even be discussing anyway other then the fact of the hypocracy as I noted in another thread. Dumb comment, but not worth the stupidity coming from the right about it. My point remains, this guy loves the attention and is one very arrogant man.

WTF.jpg

obama.jpg

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)

First, capitalism is organized crime? WTF? Yea, yea, fringe loonies, and DukeNukeEm. Okay. You know, though, that's JUST the message that Democrats are sending. After this week, it's pretty much proven.

But I have to love the OBAMAMania! that is taking place, and I think this picture displays it nicely. I understand the "history" and all, but holy s***... this guy IS a rock star, just like I was mocking last summer. IMO, his Leno appearance is tacky, at best, forget the "special olympics" comment, which is stupid to even be discussing anyway other then the fact of the hypocracy as I noted in another thread. Dumb comment, but not worth the stupidity coming from the right about it. My point remains, this guy loves the attention and is one very arrogant man.

Obviously you haven't heard about the Canadian Prime Minister. His Christmas card two years back was a picture of himself, looking at a bunch of pictures of himself. He also changed the pictures in the government caucus room from past leaders and Prime Ministers, to only pictures of himself.

http://web.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto.../WBwblogolitics

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)

I think those protestors are confused. The AIG bulls*** is in no way capitalism.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
9.3 trillion deficit spending over 10 years

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/20/...bama-Budget.php

probably a bit conservative of a number, I would suspect if trends continue 15 trillion is probably more accurate. a complete meltdown could be looming.

Dumb question: don't CBO estimates assume tax revenue to stay the same?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)

Dumb question: don't CBO estimates assume tax revenue to stay the same?

I believe they estimate tax revenues based off of growth figures, and if there are any changes in rates, those would be factored in. Its also worth mentioning that a raise in taxes could very well result in a fall of incremental revenues over what is projected.