• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
Whoa, here we go with isolated incidents. This can go both ways you know?

That's not really isolated at all, s*** like that happens all the time in Iran because their domestic policy is so ultraconservative.

That has nothing to do with nuclear deterrence. It has totally to do with technology.

Haha you're telling me weapons have become less lethal over time? You couldn't be more wrong. Recent wars are less deadly because they are coming nowhere near pre-1945 conflicts in scale and scope.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Haha you're telling me weapons have become less lethal over time? You couldn't be more wrong. Recent wars are less deadly because they are coming nowhere near pre-1945 conflicts in scale and scope.

Right, I understand that. But wars now also call for a hell of a lot less people because of the technologies involved.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Laying claim to those two hurts your argument more than helps.

I'm saying this is the wrong place to argue so strongly, and it's worth its own thread if you guys want to debate it.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Right, I understand that. But wars now also call for a hell of a lot less people because of the technologies involved.

Speed, navigation, reconnaissance, etc.

That's not really isolated at all, s*** like that happens all the time in Iran because their domestic policy is so ultraconservative.

I mean really here, you can pull this kind of s*** out for any country. Israel has basically adopted killing civilians as a foreign policy, China executes people for unfair business practices, the list pretty much never ends.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
I mean really here, you can pull this kind of s*** out for any country. Israel has basically adopted killing civilians as a foreign policy, China executes people for unfair business practices, the list pretty much never ends.

I don't recall the US or any place in Europe being so progressive as to execute gays for being gay.

I don't recall the US or any place in Europe being so progressive as to execute gays for being gay.

Our methods are definitely less direct, but to say people haven't been killed by the Western world for ridiculous reasons is a lie.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Our methods are definitely less direct, but to say people haven't been killed by the Western world for ridiculous reasons is a lie.

Individuals and governmental organizations is two completely different things. Let us not lose sight of that.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)

Exactly.

For example, when you can build a weapon designed to not detonate until it is "safely" inside of a building, thus causing an implosion of the structure and limited outside damage.

Also, UAV's.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)

But it is not government sponsored. We left that stuff die out (no pun intended) in the 17th-18th centuries.

But it is not government sponsored. We left that stuff die out (no pun intended) in the 17th-18th centuries.

There's a laundry list of mass-killings that have been a result of the CIA's canoondling around the world.

Anyone mention yet how the Obama administration only released the papers showing what type of interrogation techniques we used, while they refuse to release the papers showing how many lives were saved and terrorist attacks were stopped because of these interrogation techniques.

That's kinda odd, huh?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Anyone mention yet how the Obama administration only released the papers showing what type of interrogation techniques we used, while they refuse to release the papers showing how many lives were saved and terrorist attacks were stopped because of these interrogation techniques.

That's kinda odd, huh?

Not in the least. The specific documents that were released came out based on an FOIA act request by the ACLU and multiple court orders requiring their release. The only thing that was their decision is how much to attempt to redact, and if they redacted too much, they'd risk having another court order them to un-redact a good chunk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
Not in the least. The specific documents that were released came out based on an FOIA act request by the ACLU and multiple court orders requiring their release. The only thing that was their decision is how much to attempt to redact, and if they redacted too much, they'd risk having another court order them to un-redact a good chunk.

Oh, so our ACLU friends only wanted to know only "relevant" information so that they could go after Bush Administration people? How nice.