The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
Bullying and intimidation to get something they want (a favorable outcome for themselves)? Just because there is violence and coercion involved doesn't make it "terrorism." It's a slippery slope, but it really isn't that slippery. If I call your house and say "you will let me have sex with your wife or I'll put you in the hospital" is that terrorism? No, it just makes me a douchebag who should go to jail, but not a domestic terrorist.

according to the definition of terrorism that i've been reading, a concentrated group effort using violence and threats to acheive a goal, is terrorism. now if you want to raise the bar to killing people is required for terrorism, thats fine. i'm just saying that his argument is not really off the mark from a certain consensus on what the definition of terrorism is.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
according to the definition of terrorism that i've been reading, a concentrated group effort using violence and threats to acheive a goal, is terrorism. now if you want to raise the bar to killing people is required for terrorism, thats fine. i'm just saying that his argument is not really off the mark from a certain consensus on what the definition of terrorism is.

There's no academic or government consensus on what the definition of terrorism is, but generally the violence is for dramatic effect and it's intended for a broad audience (broader than just the people you're targeting, sometimes they're even arbitrary) and to drum up support for your cause. It's also not going to be common violence like vandalism or assault, because that means basically anyone who does these things is a terrorist. Union activists who use direct action (legal, btw) or threaten violence to influence decisions that favor them aren't terrorists, they're common criminals. Now, say they burned the building down, and/or killed/brutally beat 3 people and made a statement, that puts them over the line. Animal/environmental protesters destroy property all the time and try to get as much attention as possible, so they are domestic terrorists.

Looks like Pawlenty is all in for 2012...

Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty won't seek a third term, a move which certainly doesn't diminish his prospects at the 2012 Republican nomination in an era when running for president is pretty much a full-time job, and when at least one of his Republican rivals is going at it full time.

The move also frees him from the strictures of tough Minnesota campaign finance laws, which made presidential fundraising tough.

Pawlenty has yet to build the infrastructure -- money, a PAC, a staff -- of a national operation, but there's still time. And his "Sam's Club" Republicanism is getting a bit of attention as a model in places like New Jersey.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Waiting for the U.S Marshals to be posted at recruiting centers to protect the soldiers doing their jobs.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but that's pretty impractical.

I also read that this douchebag is being charged with first-degree murder and 15 counts of engaging in a terrorist attack.

Bad day for Visclosky.

First, he announces that, amid a federal probe of a lobbying firm to which he has close ties, he's handing off responsibility for a key appropriations bill. Now, the Northwest Indiana Times reports that, according to a spokesman for the Indiana Democrat, his top aide has unexpectedly "retired."

The aide, chief of staff Chuck Brimmer, will be replaced by district director Mark Lopez, said Visclosky's office.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but that's pretty impractical.

I also read that this douchebag is being charged with first-degree murder and 15 counts of engaging in a terrorist attack.

Does Arkansas have the death penalty still?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Dick Cheney says he isn't opposed to gay marriage (and that it's up to the states), and Gingrich says he shouldn't have said Sotomayor is a racist. Neither of which I expected.

I wonder if Cheney's daughter is having some influence on him. Has to give a person a different perspective, to have it be so close to home.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I wonder if Cheney's daughter is having some influence on him. Has to give a person a different perspective, to have it be so close to home.

She waterboarded him into a lie. He really hates gay marriage, but he was forced to tell a lie to make it stop.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
She waterboarded him into a lie. He really hates gay marriage, but he was forced to tell a lie to make it stop.

And thus illustrating my point about how ironic it is when all you get upset about someone making a teleprompter reference. Thank you.

I know, it's probably different though.

Soooo...

"America is one of the largest muslim countries in the world"... and during the campaign, Obama's dad was "agnostic or atheist" but now he's muslim, along with Obama's grandmother? Funny how the story changes when he goes over there to give a major speech to the Muslim world.

And, for the record, religion doesn't matter to me, but it's funny how the story's changing now to benefit his circumstances.

How many apologies for the United States are we going to have in the speech tommorow?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Soooo...

"America is one of the largest muslim countries in the world"... and during the campaign, Obama's dad was "agnostic or atheist" but now he's muslim, along with Obama's grandmother? Funny how the story changes when he goes over there to give a major speech to the Muslim world.

And, for the record, religion doesn't matter to me, but it's funny how the story's changing now to benefit his circumstances.

How many apologies for the United States are we going to have in the speech tommorow?

The actual quote:

if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we’d be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world

How can you dispute that?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
The actual quote:

How can you dispute that?

Because it's flat out wrong? Now we'll get all the wiki heads out there to put that America is around 10th... it's cherry picking to make a point... imagine that.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090603/ap_on_...us_nuclear_list

Way to go. But dammit, we better not release anything of value with regard to proving any GOP person right. Oh the irony.

a. lol @ you drawing that comparison. Some member of a government agency f***ed up, that's not the same thing as the president authorizing its release.

b. I think you're trying to defend Cheney here, but in reality he is making s*** up. I don't know if he convinced himself that was true or what, but even if it was, it's not like that's something that can just be proven with a simple document request, and the concept doesn't even logically follow anyway. Don't take my word for it, take Director Mueller's word:

I ask Mueller: So far as he is aware, have any attacks on America been disrupted thanks to intelligence obtained through what the administration still calls “enhanced techniques”?

“I’m really reluctant to answer that,” Mueller says. He pauses, looks at an aide, and then says quietly, declining to elaborate: “I don’t believe that has been the case.”