The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
a. lol @ you drawing that comparison. Some member of a government agency f***ed up, that's not the same thing as the president authorizing its release.

b. I think you're trying to defend Cheney here, but in reality he is making s*** up. I don't know if he convinced himself that was true or what, but even if it was, it's not like that's something that can just be proven with a simple document request, and the concept doesn't even logically follow anyway. Don't take my word for it, take Director Mueller's word:

It's all subjective. But of course, if the GOP is saying it, it must be bulls***. If a Democrat says it, it must be the truth.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
It's all subjective. But of course, if the GOP is saying it, it must be bulls***. If a Democrat says it, it must be the truth.

You don't even offer the pretense that you're trying to actually address points anymore.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Soooo...

"America is one of the largest muslim countries in the world"... and during the campaign, Obama's dad was "agnostic or atheist" but now he's muslim, along with Obama's grandmother? Funny how the story changes when he goes over there to give a major speech to the Muslim world.

And, for the record, religion doesn't matter to me, but it's funny how the story's changing now to benefit his circumstances.

How many apologies for the United States are we going to have in the speech tommorow?

There has got to be a drinking game in there somewhere...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
a. lol @ you drawing that comparison. Some member of a government agency f***ed up, that's not the same thing as the president authorizing its release.

b. I think you're trying to defend Cheney here, but in reality he is making s*** up. I don't know if he convinced himself that was true or what, but even if it was, it's not like that's something that can just be proven with a simple document request, and the concept doesn't even logically follow anyway. Don't take my word for it, take Director Mueller's word:

Then what could possibly cause Obama to refuse to release them?

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Then what could possibly cause Obama to refuse to release them?

Obama didn't refuse to release them, the CIA did. Obama could've superseded it if he wanted to but why? It's a bulls*** claim, and a distraction, if it was so important to Cheney maybe he should've released it while he was still in office. It's not even substantive enough to be called a lie, honestly.

Nice, Obama is taking 3,000 secret service agents with him to Egypt... According to wiki, there's only 4,400 sworn secret service agents. I don't know, but 3,000 seems a bit excessive.

I just don't get it. Doesn't a president usually bring maybe 50-75 agents with him on a trip like this? He's bringing his own small army down there with him. And those 3,000 aren't including all the military personal that usually comes with him.

Maybe he's planning on doing a surprise take over of Egypt?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
Nice, Obama is taking 3,000 secret service agents with him to Egypt... According to wiki, there's only 4,400 sworn secret service agents. I don't know, but 3,000 seems a bit excessive.

I just don't get it. Doesn't a president usually bring maybe 50-75 agents with him on a trip like this? He's bringing his own small army down there with him. And those 3,000 aren't including all the military personal that usually comes with him.

Maybe he's planning on doing a surprise take over of Egypt?

If that's true (3,000 SS agents), then someone somewhere is trying to do something... I'll leave that nebulous and right there. Frankly, BearSox, if it's needed, it shouldn't be questioned. Period.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
If that's true (3,000 SS agents), then someone somewhere is trying to do something... I'll leave that nebulous and right there. Frankly, BearSox, if it's needed, it shouldn't be questioned. Period.

I highly doubt it's needed. I think its just because of how big of an ego Barry has.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
I highly doubt it's needed. I think its just because of how big of an ego Barry has.

For sure. You've totally got it figured out.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)

We'll know it is excessive if Balta does not post any numbers from the Bush era about how many SS agents he took places from his blog collection. If they don't get posted, we know it is a lot more than normal.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)

Absurd. You think his ego drove him to request this? USSS staffs based on needs. Forgetting for a moment what you think of Obama personally or as President, the reality is that he IS the President, one who has a lot of controversy around him, travelling to the Middle East. If that is what the USSS says he needs, then that is what should go.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Soooo...

"America is one of the largest muslim countries in the world"... and during the campaign, Obama's dad was "agnostic or atheist" but now he's muslim, along with Obama's grandmother? Funny how the story changes when he goes over there to give a major speech to the Muslim world.

And, for the record, religion doesn't matter to me, but it's funny how the story's changing now to benefit his circumstances.

How many apologies for the United States are we going to have in the speech tommorow?

Do people on the internet really go far out of their way to make s*** up?

That is what I will try to do today -- to speak the truth as best I can, humbled by the task before us, and firm in my

belief that the interests we share as human beings are far more powerful than the forces that drive us apart.

Now part of this conviction is rooted in my own experience. I'm a Christian, but my father came from a Kenyan family that includes generations of Muslims.

How's that say "my father is Muslim?"

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)

It's not like he actually heard the speech. Just going off of pundit talking points.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)

Seriously?

How is the phrase "my father came from a Kenyan family that includes generations of Muslims" not supposed to insinuate that his father was Muslim?

And if it wasn't what was the point of that statement? To say that his relatives on his father's side have been Muslim in the past but may or may not still be but they definitely were in the past?

GMAB. That totally was meant to point to his father's religious background.

I don't give two s***s what religion he or his family is, but I can't see how one can argue that was not what was meant.

You make fun of Kap for saying stuff but it seems as if someone is always grasping at something to try and contradict him, no matter what it was he said.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
How is the phrase "my father came from a Kenyan family that includes generations of Muslims" not supposed to insinuate that his father was Muslim?

My father came from a Ukranian family that includes many women does not = my father is a woman.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
My father came from a Ukranian family that includes many women does not = my father is a woman.

WOWWWWW

Because that is TOTALLY the same thing!!!!

Where was that straw man picture StrangeSox posted the other week?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
WOWWWWW

How is it not? My father came from a family including lots of "X" still does not mean my father = "X".

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Seriously?

And if it wasn't what was the point of that statement? To say that his relatives on the his father's side have been Muslim and in the past and may or may not still be but they definitely were in the past?

GMAB. That totally was meant to point to his father's religious background.

I don't give two s***s what religion he or his family is, but I can't see how one can argue that was not what was meant.

You make fun of Kap for saying stuff but it seems someone is always grasping at something to try and contradict him, no matter what.

In that part of his speech, he was talking about how he was familiar with the religion, how he's been exposed to their culture, and he understands what it means to be a Muslim etc. Yes, he was pointing out his father's religious background. Actually his father's family's religious background. That was the entire point of him bringing it up. Now, his father comes from a Muslim family, that's not really a secret, and then he later became an atheist. Nothing he said in that part of the speech contradicted anything he's previously said or changed his tone. It's quite obvious that some random talking head/blogger read that snippet and drew their own arbitrary conclusion to say "omg Obama is lying again lol."

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
WOWWWWW

That's not a strawman, it's a direct analogy.