The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

This speaks for itself. Maybe we need people to obsessively follow everything he saids now?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...,6512647.column

Jon Stewart: The new most trusted man in America?

According to a click poll of Time.com users, yes

Steve Johnson | Tribune reporter

July 24, 2009

The reason one unscientific poll of one Web site's readers is drawing wide attention: It confirms something people suspect -- or fear -- might actually be true.

Jon Stewart is the most trusted newscaster in America, says a time.com click poll of about 9,400 site users taken this week after the death of Walter Cronkite, the longtime CBS news anchor known as "the most trusted man in America."

Stewart, the anchor, of sorts, of Comedy Central's satirical and hard-hitting "The Daily Show," took 44 percent of the vote. Next came actual news anchors Brian Williams ( NBC, with 29 percent), Charlie Gibson ( ABC, 19) and Katie Couric (CBS, 7).

Stewart, his cable channel and two network news representatives we asked wouldn't comment.

"I was surprised by the result," said Josh Tyrangiel, time.com editor. "I think it says irony and sincerity are not mutually exclusive, that people communicate that way."

The three network anchors seemed to split the old-line newscast vote, while Stewart had the wise-guy-poking-holes-in-the-news vote to himself. And the site's demographics tend to match up with those of "The Daily Show": younger, better-educated and wealthier than the population at large, Tyrangiel said.

Stewart's standard response to such praise is to belittle what he does as "fake news."

But Stewart did as well as several real news anchors in one similar, but scientific, poll taken in 2007, asking Americans who is their most admired journalist.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
This speaks for itself. Maybe we need people to obsessively follow everything he saids now?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...,6512647.column

The problem is not that he's Jon Stewart or that he's a comedian or that people actually trust him.

The problem is the rest of them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
The problem is not that he's Jon Stewart or that he's a comedian or that people actually trust him.

Can you ever admit that there's a problem when Jon Stewart comes out on top of a poll like this?

"oh, no, there's not a problem with HIM, it's everyone else!". Gees.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Can you ever admit that there's a problem when Jon Stewart comes out on top of a poll like this?

Fine. What should Jon Stewart do to make himself less trustworthy?

The problem is not with Stewart. The problem is that there's no reason to trust the rest of the media. They simply don't serve the public good at all right now. They serve themselves and the people in power. Stewart can do whatever the Hell he wants. The reason he's winning awards is that there's a gap out there that no one else is filling; actual in-depth, non-idiotic reporting that doesn't spend 3 weeks wondering where Michael Jackson's casket is.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)

Balta just in so many words said the MSM sucks, what else do you want him to do/say?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Balta just in so many words said the MSM sucks, what else do you want him to do/say?

they do

Here is what each news channel is doing right now, i just flipped around.

CNN: interviewing DL Houghley on diversity. some old white guy is there too. DL Houghley is crying now. dumb.

FOX: Story on how Citgo oil donated a small island in NJ, as a wildlife sanctuary, to the state of New Jersey. dumb

MSNBC: i didn't even bother to check.

Edited by mr_genius

Right, so what is Stewart supposed to do? Lower his own quality? Why shouldn't the news networks (and prime time major network news is rarely better than cable) raise their own standards above those of a satirical show on Comedy Central.

What is Stewart supposedly doing wrong here, Kap?

I'll go out front of you and say that yes, some people do accept what he says uncritically and that is a problem. That's a problem for any source. That doesn't change his relative trustworthiness or usefulness. They flat-out suck and should be embarresed that a comedian is better than them. They're not because they still rack in the money, but they should be.

I think you have to judge what people mean by "trust" in this poll. Because my immediate reaction to "who do you trust more" is "who do you trust to do their job more?" And by that standard, Stewart would be who I trust most out of that equation. He consistently frames political and social issues in a humorous way. The others put out a rubbish product so watered down it fails to achieve anything on any night for any number of years.

But if you take trust to mean, who's word do you trust most, see I just don't buy that interpretation. It also feels easier to know and trust someone like stewart in that audience-anchor relationship because he is self-deprecating and charming, whereas the others feel the need to seem infallible and stoic. And nobody buys that bulls***.

That said, Brian Williams has some alright taste in music.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)

Yeah, but he's just a comedian, and no one pays attention to him... lol.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
Yeah, but he's just a comedian, and no one pays attention to him... lol.

Did someone say that? People should pay attention to him. He's getting more crap right than the majority of the other networks. That's the problem!

John Stewart has a loyal fan base, good at what he does, entertains, and puts forth a political dialogue that a lot conservatives don't like. He's the same thing to liberals as Limbaugh is to his listeners. For example, if drudge put up a poll on whom his readers trust more for whats going on in the country: Limbaugh or Katie Couric. Limbaugh would easily win.

Edited by mr_genius

Link

Two influential Senate committee chairmen were told they were getting special VIP deals when they applied for mortgages, an official who handled their loans told Congress in closed-door testimony. Democratic Sens. Christopher Dodd and Kent Conrad had denied knowing they were getting discounts when they negotiated their loan terms.

Robert Feinberg, who worked in the VIP section of Countrywide Financial Corp., testified about the loan terms before the Senate Ethics Committee, and provided the same information in an interview with Republican investigators of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. He could be prosecuted for making false statements.

Both senators have said that at the time the mortgages were being written they didn't know they were getting unique deals from Countrywide, a company that lost billions of dollars on bad loans and since has been purchased by Bank of America.

Dodd, D-Conn., who is chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, still maintains that he got no preferential treatment. Conrad, D-N.D., who leads the Senate Budget Committee, took that position initially, but later acknowledged he did get a special deal.

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/pos...TM2YTZlNjM2ZGQ=

The Stimulus: Not Even That Great For Construction Companies

Coverage of the survey of the Associated General Contractors of America is noting how construction jobs have been created by the stimulus so far. A bit more from their report:

“With construction unemployment at almost double the national rate, it is disappointing to see so many stimulus programs getting off to such a slow start,” said Stephen E. Sandherr, the chief executive officer of the contractors association.

Sandherr said that five months into a federal stimulus program that has approximately $135 billion dedicated for construction projects, there is little difference in hiring and purchasing patterns between companies doing stimulus-funded work and companies that aren’t...

Outside of the transportation arena, little of the stimulus’ authorized construction dollars have resulted in actual construction work.

Sixty-eight of the 197 firms have yet to begin work on any stimulus-funded project, and 129 firms said their stimulus work under contract will last less than one year. Sixty-six companies said the stimulus work would have "no appreciable effect" on their bottom line, and seven actually said it was hurting their bottom line.

Sixty firms said they had hired new or rehired laid-off workers because of stimulus-related work; 133 said they had not.

This fact is pretty astounding: "While 36 percent of construction firms with stimulus funded work plan to purchase new equipment and supplies, a higher rate - 43 percent - of construction firms without stimulus-funded work report plans to purchase new equipment over the same time frame."

Copy of the full report here...

http://newsletters.agc.org/newsandviews/fi...9/07/09-056.pdf

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
I posted this in the catch all thread, but this deserves to be here too...

Headline News actual reasons to have Bill Clinton go to NK

-Respect

-Nostalgia

-Almost went there before

image_4891949.jpg

"That's top notch news reporting"

HOW TO START EACH DAY WITH A POSITIVE OUTLOOK

1. Open a new file in your computer.

2. Name it "Barack Obama."

3. Send it to the Recycle Bin.

4. Empty the Recycle Bin.

5. Your PC will ask you: "Do you really want to get rid of "Barack Obama?"

6. Firmly Click "Yes."

7. Feel better?

GOOD! - Tomorrow we'll do Nancy Pelosi.

I was gonna start a new thread for this, but figured I would start here. Can you imagine if this came from a republican administration, or anyone associated with a Republican administration?

There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to [email protected].

They are asking for people to 'inform' on their fellow citizens! I remember an uproar when the govt asked people to keep a sharper eye out after 9/11. So sad.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Facts-Are-Stubborn-Things/

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
I was gonna start a new thread for this, but figured I would start here. Can you imagine if this came from a republican administration, or anyone associated with a Republican administration?

They are asking for people to 'inform' on their fellow citizens! I remember an uproar when the govt asked people to keep a sharper eye out after 9/11. So sad.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Facts-Are-Stubborn-Things/

Hardly seems analogous to me Sounds like an average aspect of rapid response that's normal in today's politics. This isn't an intimidation effort.

Edited by KipWellsFan