The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
I was gonna start a new thread for this, but figured I would start here. Can you imagine if this came from a republican administration, or anyone associated with a Republican administration?

They are asking for people to 'inform' on their fellow citizens! I remember an uproar when the govt asked people to keep a sharper eye out after 9/11. So sad.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Facts-Are-Stubborn-Things/

I think we now live in the United States of China. Can't have CONVERSATIONS anymore... the White House might come get me.

I understand that they just want to stay ahead of the curve so they can spread more propaganda to make sure their crap passes. Big Deal.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BRIAN WILLIAMS: We are back now with the case of the cold, hard cash, money that was famously found in the freezer at the home of William Jefferson, now a former Congressman from Louisiana. Tonight, there is a verdict in his criminal trial. Our Justice correspondent Pete Williams at federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, tonight. Pete, good evening.

PETE WILLIAMS: Brian, this verdict comes four years after the FBI watched Congressman Jefferson outside a Washington hotel accept a briefcase stuffed with $100,000 in cash. The jury found him guilty of planning to use that money to bribe officials in Africa who are willing to help U.S. companies in which Jefferson’s family had an interest. $90,000 of that money was found in his kitchen in his freezer wrapped in foil packets and hidden in frozen food containers. The jury also found him guilty today of taking bribes from other companies to help them do business in Africa He could face a long prison term. He’ll be sentenced in October, Brian.

Jefferson must be a Dem because no party was mentioned.

I know he is a Dem, just noting the balanced media's take on the subject.

National Barack Channel comes through again.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
I've noticed more and more boards getting strict about this.

We shouldn't C&P more than a paragraph of an article, either.

Technically, not supposed to, I guess it's never been an issue here yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
The caption implies that it's probably neither of those, it's probably "More civilian travel, less military travel".

So, a 25% increase in spending is accounted for by an increase in the amount of civilian travel? That seems like an awful big percentage increase to only be accounted by the type of travel they choose or by inflation. If you are going to say that, you need to point to a reason for that rather large change. It seems pretty obvious that there is more travel spending going on.

Is this per member of Congress or for Congress as a whole? Because $12.5 million is nothing, really. That's probably analogous to complaining because you went to the grocery store and forgot your coupon for 50 cents off.

Democrat goons attack those whom do not agree with their policies

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/aug/06/pr...lth/news-metro/

Video of union thugs video taping protestors for later retribution. They also attack the protestors; yet the proud citizens were not deterred or afraid of the goons and continued to chant "Hear our voice" even as the goons attacked.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
So, a 25% increase in spending is accounted for by an increase in the amount of civilian travel? That seems like an awful big percentage increase to only be accounted by the type of travel they choose or by inflation. If you are going to say that, you need to point to a reason for that rather large change. It seems pretty obvious that there is more travel spending going on.

Read the caption, it says "Military travel is used on the majority of trips". That probably means the military is spending several tens of millions, to perhaps hundreds of millions, on trips. Not surprising, given the security and such required to take people overseas. If 80% is done on military travel one year and 75% is done on military travel the next year, there will be a 25% increase in the civilian travel expenditures for the same amount of travel, and the graph will look all evil and scary.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Democrat goons attack those whom do not agree with their policies

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/aug/06/pr...lth/news-metro/

Video of union thugs video taping protestors for later retribution. They also attack the protestors; yet the proud citizens were not deterred or afraid of the goons and continued to chant "Hear our voice" even as the goons attacked.

These town hall meetings are getting stupid. Do these people know how they look? If you want people to agree with your point of view, you have to convince them on their turf, using language they understand. If you think saying the same thing louder and ruder will help, it doesn't, and nobody listens to you. The response is for them to do the same back and then you both look like flaming idiots.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
These town hall meetings are getting stupid. Do these people know how they look? If you want people to agree with your point of view, you have to convince them on their turf, using language they understand. If you think saying the same thing louder and ruder will help, it doesn't, and nobody listens to you. The response is for them to do the same back and then you both look like flaming idiots.

There is a big difference to protesting and using violence. I understand Dem loyalists do not like when Democrat leaders are ridiculed, talked harshly to, or when a chant breaks out that is not “No Blood For Oil”; but this is no excuse to resort to violently attack people.

Shameful. These Democrat goons look much worse than any town hall dissenter.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
There is a big difference to protesting and using violence. I understand Dem loyalists do not like when Democrat leaders are ridiculed, talked harshly to, or when a chant breaks out that is not “No Blood For Oil”; but this is no excuse to resort to violently attack people.

That wasn't really the point I was making, but I didn't see that in the article. It looked tit-for-tat. It looked like most of the conservative organizers said to be courteous and respectful, but that there were people determined to shout and be disruptive jackasses, and then naturally it gets violent (what do they expect?). I didn't see anything about union goons endorsing violent attacks against the opponents though, maybe that was in the video I can't watch since I'm at work. If that's the case I'd find it hard to believe it's just the liberal types doing it. This is what happens when people act like asses and start shouting at each other, telling people to listen when you're not interested in listening yourself.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)

It's interesting how I've read the exact opposite interpretation of those events at the same spot. The doors get closed because of fire codes, and the people outside get rowdy, start banging on windows, forced backwards by security, etc.

Just to point out; there's multiple ways of seeing how that sort of mess went down. Especially when people from both sides are now going to these expecting a fight.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/...protester_.html

Like the guy who showed up to a protest at a Congressman's office with said Congressman hung in effigy?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
It's interesting how I've read the exact opposite interpretation of those events at the same spot. The doors get closed because of fire codes, and the people outside get rowdy, start banging on windows, forced backwards by security, etc.

Just to point out; there's multiple ways of seeing how that sort of mess went down. Especially when people from both sides are now going to these expecting a fight.

someone recorded the dust-up and put it on youtube. you can clearly see some goon rush and attack a protestor. it was obvious whom started a physical confrontation. after they got attacked, they kept chanting and pounded on the door a couple times. the protestors are loud and obnoxious, but maybe the Dems shouldn't use a 'town hall' format on something this controversial.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/...protester_.html

Like the guy who showed up to a protest at a Congressman's office with said Congressman hung in effigy?

like the billion effigies of GW bush hanging? or sarah palin.. or cheney....

if you are in politics making controversial decisions you are going to have protestors doing this stuff.

you guys are going to have to accept the fact that the Dems are going to get the GW Bush treatment as far as over the top protest signs and stuff. having a "GW BUSH = HITLER" or "OBAMA = STALIN" sign should bring a certain level of ridicule, not a government directed beating.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
you guys are going to have to accept the fact that the Dems are going to get the GW Bush treatment as far as over the top protest signs and stuff. having a "GW BUSH = HITLER" or "OBAMA = STALIN" sign should bring a certain level of ridicule, not a government directed beating.

If that's all that happens here, then you're right. Although, it's interesting how willing the leaders of the party (Limbaugh, Boehner, Savage, Beck) have been to go along with the Obama is a Nazi stuff.

Frankly though, I really think I'll be surprised if this ends in just a handful of arrests. You've got the entire party's set of mouthpieces screaming to anyone who will listen that Obama is going to euthanize your parents and he's preparing his own final solution. Literally. And he's going to take away your guns too. How do you react to that?