The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Imminent threat of harm or death, and/or reasonable expectation of that harm barring reaction. Other factors come into play as well. Rocks? Maybe, depends on the circumstances.

And as always in American justice, who is involved makes a difference.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WTF?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) apologized today for referring to President Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect" in private conversations during the 2008 presidential campaign.

"I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words," said Reid in a statement. "I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African Americans for my improper comments."

President Obama said in a statement that he and Reid had spoken about the matter on Saturday afternoon. "I accepted Harry's apology without question because I've known him for years, I've seen the passionate leadership he's shown on issues of social justice and I know what's in his heart," said Obama. "As far as I am concerned, the book is closed."

So, what kind of person thinks in those phrases?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
WTF?

So, what kind of person thinks in those phrases?

Someone that looked at what it would take for a black man to get elected and speaking with a strong dialect would not help his cause. Why do people get so upset when they hear Spanish being spoken?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
What would Republicans have done?

It wouldn't have mattered because within mere moments, the msn would have had been calling for his resignation and tarred his as a racist for life. Olbermann would have had a Worst Person segment for months, Maddow would talk about how this is endemic of the Republican Party, Matthews tingle would have traveled elsewhere since he is convinced there isnt a true black person in any conservative group or organization, Sharpton would be demanding reparations, Caravell (however you spell that) would try to dazzle us with some southern words of wisdon about how only the mean ole Republicans can think that way anymore and Pelosi would have smiled if her Botox would have let her.

The Dems have all the money and influence which comes with success in this country. Being the party of the disadvantaged is tough, but the GOP keeps trying, and we're a better country for it.

Was it Graham or DeMint that recently said something equally dumb (probably worse actually)? What do you guys mean "free pass" I didn't recall that getting blown up in the media like you guys say it would be, outside of the political blogs and whatnot where you'd expect it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)
Was it Graham or DeMint that recently said something equally dumb (probably worse actually)? What do you guys mean "free pass" I didn't recall that getting blown up in the media like you guys say it would be, outside of the political blogs and whatnot where you'd expect it.

Reid should at least have to step down from his leadership role. I recall Trent Lott having to do that for merely showing up at Strom Thurmond's party back in 2002? 2003? And if Reid is saying things like that in a leadership position, how many others below him are saying the same thing? And if they are saying that about Obama behind his back, what do they say about gays behind closed doors?

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
Reid should at least have to step down from his leadership role. I recall Trent Lott having to do that for merely showing up at Strom Thurmond's party back in 2002? 2003? And if Reid is saying things like that in a leadership position, how many others below him are saying the same thing? And if they are saying that about Obama behind his back, what do they say about gays behind closed doors?

Trent Lott's reign as majority leader fell because he went to Thurmond's birthday party and said "If Thurmond had been elected in 1948, we wouldn't have had all these problems". That alone probably wouldn't have been more than a minor tiff, but the Republicans were looking for a way to replace him anyway; that was right after an election and Bush/Rove wanted one of their own guys running the Republicans in the Senate.

He'd have made it through fine if the guys at the top wanted him to.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)

The Republicans are the racist party. And the Democrats are the weak on terrorism party.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)

you mean when Graham got censured?

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/1096389.html

not even close to the same as Reid commending Obama on "not speaking in a negro dialect"

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
you mean when Graham got censured?

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/1096389.html

not even close to the same as Reid commending Obama on "not speaking in a negro dialect"

Meh Reid would've been censured if the GOP had 60 seats, but in any case Graham's comment was even more indefensible.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
Meh Reid would've been censured if the GOP had 60 seats, but in any case Graham's comment was even more indefensible.

Graham basically got censured for getting into a verbal spat with Ron Paul and it was from some local GOP guys. I didn't know you held Ron Paul in such high regard :lol:

unless there is another recent Graham 'controversy'

Edited by mr_genius