The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
I see his point. :lol:

He's trying to say that you labeled the "Tea Party" folks right with Tancredo, and that's a pretty far stretch.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)
I WILL QUOTE YOU EXACTLY

too hateful even for that crowd? talk about no middle ground. nice try to bulls*** your way out of it though. :lol:

Honestly, I don't see what you guys are saying. He's too hateful even for that crowd. I think that says clearly that A) Tancredo is crazier than the tea party crowd generally (which is the OPPOSITE of saying what Kap is saying above, as noted in the article I linked, where they disliked his speech), and B) That yes, indeed, the Tea Party has a hateful, ignorant element to it, much like the religious right does - just not as bad as Tancredo.

And somehow that means that I am only OK with Obamatons? Seriously? I'm not bulls***ting anyone here, I'm being railroaded into being an extremist, which I am not.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Honestly, I don't see what you guys are saying. He's too hateful even for that crowd. I think that says clearly that A) Tancredo is crazier than the tea party crowd generally (which is the OPPOSITE of saying what Kap is saying above, as noted in the article I linked, where they disliked his speech), and B) That yes, indeed, the Tea Party has a hateful, ignorant element to it, much like the religious right does - just not as bad as Tancredo.

And somehow that means that I am only OK with Obamatons? Seriously? I'm not bulls***ting anyone here, I'm being railroaded into being an extremist, which I am not.

Oh sure you are. Hippee. :headbang ;)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
And somehow that means that I am only OK with Obamatons? Seriously?

:huh

Well, your talking points about dissent seem to parrot MSNBC. The majority of people whom disapprove of Obama's policies are just racist haters! and yes, I'm sure some people are just Obama haters for that reason, but it's a small minority.

That yes, indeed, the Tea Party has a hateful, ignorant element to it, much like the religious right does.

so do your Dems. These current protesters, 'tea party' or whatever, are not all that radical compared to the Democrat protesters I've seen the past 10 years.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)
I am watching the Sarah Palin 'tea party' speech. It sucks, as expected.

Apparently her "notes" were written on her hand:

A Huffington Post blogger enlarges the image of Sarah Palin's hand, at which she glanced during yesterday's speech to the Tea Party Convention.

2010-02-07-palinhandclose.jpg

It appears to be an outline:

Energy

Budget Tax Cuts

Lift American Spirits

Fiscal hawks will note that the difference between budget cuts and tax cuts is pretty much the core of the criticism of Republican economics.

Anyway, not sure why she needed to write it down, but it does boil things down.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2082049:date=Feb 6, 2010 -> 08:41 PM:name=mr_genius)-->
QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)
<!--quotec-->I am watching the Sarah Palin 'tea party' speech. It sucks, as expected.

Apparently her "notes" were written on her hand:

THAT IS f***ING UNBELIEVABLE!

:notworthy

Edited by mr_genius

This kind of crap always seems to come from the race-baiters on the left. And they rarely get called out for it. It doesn't matter that they are getting helped, the helpers have to be of the right racial makeup, or it is racist! This man needs to just retire already. In public office since the 60's a perfect example of why some people scream for term limits.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/79803-co...nority-staffers

Conyers wants Haiti relief official demoted over diversity deficit

By Molly K. Hooper

Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) has called on Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to demote the official coordinating Haiti relief efforts for not having enough minority staffers.

The House Judiciary Committee Chairman sent a letter to Clinton on Thursday after Rajiv Shah, administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development, showed up at a meeting with the 42-member Congressional Black Caucus without any African American staffers in tow.

“I was alarmed and chagrined to learn that none of the approximately dozen staff he brought with him were African American,” Conyers wrote in the letter. “This is so serious an error in judgment that it warrants his immediate demotion to a subordinate position at AID.”

Conyers is set to lead a congressional delegation to Haiti on Friday, his first visit to the island country since a massive earthquake destroyed much of the impoverished nation.

The State Department did not comment on the letter when contacted for reaction.

In an interview with The Hill, Conyers explained that he didn't ask for Shah's ousting because he "doesn't want him to lose his job working on Haiti, I just want him to get some diversity in there, that's all."

The lack of minority US AID staffers would "suggest there are no black people qualified to deal with Haiti," Conyers explained.

In the letter, Conyers expressed alarm that none of the "approximately dozen" staff members with Shah were African Americans.

He also said that minorities have long been under-represented in key State positions

Here is the text of the letter in full:

Dear Secretary Clinton:

As you know, the 42 member Congressional Black Caucus met with Rajiv Shah, the Administrator of the U.S. AID yesterday to discuss the crisis in Haiti. I was alarmed and chagrined to learn that none of the approximately dozen staff he brought with him were African American. This is so serious an error in judgement that it warrants his immediate demotion to a subordinate position at AID. It is well known that there has long been an under-representation of minorities in key positions within the State Department. I am confident this Administration will immediately begin addressing this problem.

I look forward to meeting with you on this matter.

Sincerely,

John Conyers, Jr.

Member of Congress

This story was updated at 3:18 p.m.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
:huh

Well, your talking points about dissent seem to parrot MSNBC. The majority of people whom disapprove of Obama's policies are just racist haters! and yes, I'm sure some people are just Obama haters for that reason, but it's a small minority.

so do your Dems. These current protesters, 'tea party' or whatever, are not all that radical compared to the Democrat protesters I've seen the past 10 years.

My talking points? Dissing Tom Tancredo is a talking point? I don't think I've even mentioned the guy since the 2008 primaries. You're really reaching here. And LOL at even bringing race into it - find me one example of me ever saying anything of he sort.

My Dems?

The Dems have their own problems. But bringing hate, bigotry, talk of secession and armed conflict... that's something that I have to say has been far more common among GOP leaders them DEM leaders since the emergence of the controlling Religious Right in the past 15 years. And the tea party movement, while founded generally in something I'd agree with (government has grown too much and is spending too much), is quite obviously (as lf has pointed out) been co-opted by the GOP to be a parrot for the far right wing agenda in total. So yeah, there's some serious hate in that crowd, and much more than I see from the lefties.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
My talking points? Dissing Tom Tancredo is a talking point? I don't think I've even mentioned the guy since the 2008 primaries. You're really reaching here.

I am not talking about Tancredo. Reread the quotes (quotes of your posts, which I am citing)

And LOL at even bringing race into it - find me one example of me ever saying anything of he sort.

your entire argument has been that these crowds are composed of 'racist haters'. I am going by what you have posted. You want one example of you saying anything of the sort? Reread the post you just submitted. There are 2 instances in that post alone.

My Dems?

yes, your dems. which other Democrat party would fit into this context?

But bringing hate, bigotry, talk of secession and armed conflict... that's something that I have to say has been far more common among GOP leaders them DEM leaders since the emergence of the controlling Religious Right in the past 15 years.

Basically it seems like you just don't like anything that is outside of the Democrat party lately. There are a few loons in any political movement, which you have decided to lock in on. Then the accusations of 'hate' and 'bigotry' fly as you attempt to use that super broad brush to paint everyone.

And the tea party movement, while founded generally in something I'd agree with (government has grown too much and is spending too much), is quite obviously (as lf has pointed out) been co-opted by the GOP to be a parrot for the far right wing agenda in total. So yeah, there's some serious hate in that crowd, and much more than I see from the lefties.

Again with the accusations of 'serious hate' in the crowd. Sorry, but not everyone likes 15 trillion in debt and out of control spending. of course, that makes them racist. lol. The main thing they b**** about is government spending and debt.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Seriously if you think that NSS is a lefty parrot you're either not paying attention or you have a really distorted worldview.

Seriously? I don't see why you guys try to have this charade of being independents.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
I am not talking about Tancredo. Reread the quotes (quotes of your posts, which I am citing)

your entire argument has been that these crowds are composed of 'racist haters'. I am going by what you have posted. You want one example of you saying anything of the sort? Reread the post you just submitted. There are 2 instances in that post alone.

yes, your dems. which other Democrat party would fit into this context?

Basically it seems like you just don't like anything that is outside of the Democrat party lately. There are a few loons in any political movement, which you have decided to lock in on. Then the accusations of 'hate' and 'bigotry' fly as you attempt to use that super broad brush to paint everyone.

Again with the accusations of 'serious hate' in the crowd. Sorry, but not everyone likes 15 trillion in debt and out of control spending. of course, that makes them racist. lol. The main thing they b**** about is government spending and debt.

Ugh. There's obviously not going to be a good end to this, so I'll just throw in two more items...

1. Not once in the post you responded to, or any other post you will find from me, ever, did I say anything about "racist haters" or anything involving some party or movement being more racist than another. You MIGHT find me citing a specific person's words or actions as racists - but not once will you finding me making blanket statements about some entire group of people being racist.

2. Strangesox probably said it better than I did - instead of using the word "hateful", he used "angry". I'll change my statement to that.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Seriously? I don't see why you guys try to have this charade of being independents.

Do you not read the financial thread? Aside from one policy (pay control for TARP firm executives), you'll find I am critical of Obama's and the Dems' policies more often than not. Further, you'll find I am distinctly to the right of center on any number of other topics, including 2A, 10A, affirmative action, business policy generally, protection of religious speech and the whole PC thing, Afghanistan, a whole swath of foreign policy (right of center but more Bush I than Bush II), the drive away from income-based taxes to more use-based taxes, the federal budget and deficits, health care (though I really prefer neither's policies at the moment), some education policy, public safety and the role of law enforcement, and the power of targeted tax cuts. I could go on with others, but you get the point.

And until about 2001, I voted for far more Republicans for office than Democrats. It wasn't until the GOP decided to abandon financial restraint and the protection of individual freedoms - once the cornerstones of that party - that I was forced to vote more often for Dems. Its not because I liek the Dems, its because they are currently the lesser evil.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
Do you not read the financial thread? Aside from one policy (pay control for TARP firm executives), you'll find I am critical of Obama's and the Dems' policies more often than not. Further, you'll find I am distinctly to the right of center on any number of other topics, including 2A, 10A, affirmative action, business policy generally, protection of religious speech and the whole PC thing, Afghanistan, a whole swath of foreign policy (right of center but more Bush I than Bush II), the drive away from income-based taxes to more use-based taxes, the federal budget and deficits, health care (though I really prefer neither's policies at the moment), some education policy, public safety and the role of law enforcement, and the power of targeted tax cuts. I could go on with others, but you get the point.

And until about 2001, I voted for far more Republicans for office than Democrats. It wasn't until the GOP decided to abandon financial restraint and the protection of individual freedoms - once the cornerstones of that party - that I was forced to vote more often for Dems. Its not because I liek the Dems, its because they are currently the lesser evil.

+1

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)

I don't have a charade... I'm sympathetic to a lot of right-wing ideas but everyone knows I fall mostly left of center, it's not really a secret.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 06:38 AM)
The tea party crowds have had a strong undercurrent of populism; populism usually has a lot of "angry" politics; Tom Tancredo makes the craziest of the tea party people look completely sane and rational.

Why is that such a controversial idea?

that's not controversial and that's not what NS72 said.

http://frugalhoosiers.com/?p=7023

With all the posts we’ve done recently about whether or not Evan Bayh lives in Indiana (and for how long he ever might have lived here), we decided to do a little more digging to see where he lives now. The first place we looked was on the Statement of Candidacy he filed with the Federal Election Commission for the 2010 election cycle. You can see it below if you click on the image for the full screen version.

That form lists his address as 850 Fort Wayne Avenue in Indianapolis. But it also lists the campaign address as the same place. So we looked at his campaign’s Statement of Organization. Click that one for the full screen version, too.

You’ll notice that it also lists the 850 Fort Wayne Avenue address for the campaign, and is signed by his campaign treasurer, Dennis Charles. So we did a quick Google search on the address and found out that it is not a residential address, but a business address. Specifically, it is the address of Charles Madden PC, a CPA firm where Dennis Charles works. The circle is complete.

So, knowing that this can’t possibly be the Indiana residence of Evan Bayh like his Statement of Candidacy claims, it brings up a few questions:

1. Does Bayh actually claim this as his permanent Indiana residency as he appears to with the FEC?

2. If not, where is his residency?

3. He can’t register to vote at a business, so where is he registered to vote (is it even in Indiana)?

Somebody has some ’splaining to do. If he wants to sleep on it (on the couch in his accountant’s office, apparently) before getting back to us, we’ll understand.

Evan Palin?

http://www.optimusnews.com/09728/senator-e...hite-house-run/

Evan Bayh, the son of legendary senator from Indiana, took two of his own term to learn that the conventional Democrat was living a lie as a legislator. Evan Bayh speaking with the crowd gathered on his resignation on Monday told “I’m an executive at heart”.

Bayh proclaimed its neither me nor you. Identifying the dilemma with his occupation Evan Bayh said, “I do not love Congress”. He also clarified that’s it’s not the friends that he has got in congress, which by the way were many in both sides of the aisle.

“My verdict should not imitate unfavorably upon my contemporaries who carry on serving in the Senate. While the organization is in call for of noteworthy reform, there are a lot of superb people there,” said Evan Bayh of the people whom he was leaving behind to do the real job of reforming the organization. Evan Bayh further said, “The public will be astounded and happy to find that the people who work in the senate and serve them, in spite of their rule and political differences, are abidingly meticulous and dedicated to the communal good as they see it. I will miss them.”

Evan Bayh said that “it’s not a job for an executive heart”. But there’s another administrative job which the former Indiana governor, Bayh, has been targeting for decades. So was this his one step closer to that?

This keeps getting stranger and stranger...

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/senate-r...-out-to-get-me/

Would-Be Dem Replacement For Bayh: The “Machine” Is Out To Get Me!

In the wake of Evan Bayh’s decision to retire, there’s been a fair amount of hand-wringing among Dems over the possiblity that a little-known cafe-owner, Tamyra d’Ippolito, would collect the signatures necessary to run on the Dem line — making it all but certain that the GOP will pick up the seat.

I just got off the phone with Ms. d’Ippolito, and I can report that it would be pretty bad indeed for Dems if she pulls this off. She alleged in the interview that the “machine” in Indiana is out to get her — and even claimed that the machine had conspired with MSNBC to silence her.

“The machine has asked me to step down,” she said, in a reference to the Indiana Democratic Party. She added that she had been scheduled to be interviewed last night by Rachel Maddow but that, mysteriously, the machine got the interview killed.

“The car was coming,” she recalled. “Fifteen minutes before, I got a call saying, `We’ve cancelled the interview.’”

Ms. d’Ippolito insisted that Indiana Dem party chair Dan Parker, who was also on Maddow yesterday, had gotten the interview nixed. She said she asked MSNBC producers why she wouldn’t be interviewed, and that the reply was: “We can’t tell you.”

“I said, `Okay, whatever,’” she says. “Dan Parker was the only one on the air. Put two and two together.”

That’s not all: There’s also some confusion over whether she’s got the requisite 4,500 signatures to run. She just told TPM’s Eric Kleefeld that she has the signatures.

But she subsequently told me that she doesn’t — yet. “We’ll have 4,500 by the end of today,” she said, adding that she has “no clue” whether she’s crossed that number yet.

Hmm…

This would explain the previous stuff...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/...bid=BF5T3jl-jlS

Upstart Democrat fails to get on ballot in Indiana

Posted: February 16th, 2010 02:22 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Senator Evan Bayh announced Monday that he would not seek another term, leaving Democrats without a candidate in Indiana.

Senator Evan Bayh announced Monday that he would not seek another term, leaving Democrats without a candidate in Indiana.

Washington (CNN) – It looks like Democrats have avoided a big headache in Indiana.

Tamyra d'Ippolito, the Bloomington restaurant owner who claimed to be nearing the required amount of signatures to make her the de facto Democratic nominee for Senate in Indiana, appears to have fallen short in her bid to get on the primary ballot.

To get on the ballot, a candidate must have submitted at least 4,500 signatures by noon Tuesday, with at least 500 coming from each of Indiana's nine congressional districts.

But Terry Burns, a Democratic official with the Marion County Board of Voters, said d'Ippolito only submitted three signatures Tuesday to the county clerk's office (The entire seventh district is in Marion County). Burns noted that one of her signatures came from the state's 5th district.

"She fell 498 signatures short in the seventh district," Burns told CNN.

D'Ippolito, who has never run for office before, had been organizing a long-shot challenge to Sen. Evan Bayh before he announced his retirement Monday. Had she submitted the necessary paperwork by Tuesday's deadline, she would have been the only Democrat in the state to do so, making her the party's nominee for Senate. That prospect became something of a nightmare scenario over the last 24 hours for Democrats in Washington and Indiana, who are looking to recruit a top-tier candidate to run in Bayh's place.

Now, state Democratic Party officials have until June 30 to confer and select a nominee. Indiana Reps. Brad Ellsworth and Baron Hill are mentioned as possible nominees, along with Evansville mayor Jonathan Weinzapfel.

Meanwhile, Sen. John Corynyn, chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, called on Indiana Democrats to extend the filing deadline, which would give potential Democratic candidates time to canvass the state for signatures.

"Doing so would remove any appearance of unfair gamesmanship by the Democrats while affirming their belief that voters, and not party bosses, should be the final arbiters of elections," Cornyn said in a statement released by the NRSC Tuesday.