The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
"Because that would be both logical and reasonable.”

"Because I think we all know that the problem with our education system right now is that teachers are flat out paid too much. A dramatic benefit cut for them is fully justified".

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
"Because I think we all know that the problem with our education system right now is that teachers are flat out paid too much. A dramatic benefit cut for them is fully justified".

For every awesome and deserving teacher out there, there's 2 awful tenured teachers who aren't worth anything but still get paid. Guess how much the highest paid teacher in Illinois makes:

http://www.championnews.net/salaries.php

(bottom left, can't link you to the actual page unfortunately)

Clearly this isn't representative of every teacher, but what teacher is worth that much money?

Also, from personal experience, i'd agree that the public sector has gotten pretty close to the private sector in terms of pay. Coming out of law school, entry level government jobs paid a lot more than entry level private sector jobs. You take out the 5% of entry level attorneys that make bank out of school, the rest of us shlubs have hundreds of thousands of debt and jobs that don't really pay much more than having the 3-4 years of work experience out of college.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Guess how much the highest paid teacher in Illinois makes:

http://www.championnews.net/salaries.php

(bottom left, can't link you to the actual page unfortunately)

Clearly this isn't representative of every teacher, but what teacher is worth that much money?

I didn't click on every link in that list, but every one that I clicked on was not a teacher; it was a chief administrator/superintendent or a chief business officer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
I didn't click on every link in that list, but every one that I clicked on was not a teacher; it was a chief administrator/superintendent or a chief business officer.

Well that's just as ridiculous to be making 400k+ as an administrator.

I looked at my specific school and saw teachers making 100k (in a 10k population town). That's fine and great, especialy when they have 25+ years experience. But to get a pension on top of that? It's been a while since I looked at it, but don't you get like 75% of your last 3-4 years of salary, and then a cost of living percentage increase every year thereafter? In other words, millions per teacher if they live to their life expectancy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
Well that's just as ridiculous to be making 400k+ as an administrator.

I looked at my specific school and saw teachers making 100k (in a 10k population town). That's fine and great, especialy when they have 25+ years experience. But to get a pension on top of that? It's been a while since I looked at it, but don't you get like 75% of your last 3-4 years of salary, and then a cost of living percentage increase every year thereafter? In other words, millions per teacher if they live to their life expectancy.

Is that counting benefits like the $20,000+/family health care plan and the pension plan costs? My mother's been a 25 year+ teacher, and she's no where near that salary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Is that counting benefits like the $20,000+/family health care plan and the pension plan costs? My mother's been a 25 year+ teacher, and she's no where near that salary.

That is most likely salary. Once you hit the top of the wage scale, and add to it things like summer school, outside coaching, and an advanced degree, which all bump those mumbers up, we have teachers in our district pushing 90k.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
That is most likely salary. Once you hit the top of the wage scale, and add to it things like summer school, outside coaching, and an advanced degree, which all bump those mumbers up, we have teachers in our district pushing 90k.

I don't know much about the topic, but it seems like they get bumps in pay and it has nothing at all to do with their or their students performance. Like a bump in pay just for advanced schooling, a bump in pay for time on the job.

I also don't know how accurate this is, but my friend told me this about his wife who is a teacher. When a school is hiring a teacher, they can't call the previous school the teacher worked at and get any negative information....said something about the union rules or something. To me this goes against all logic....anyone have any insight on this? I always noticed she took a ton of days off, and I was like when she goes to get another job....isn't the school gonna tell the next school how much time she missed and he said they can't do that.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
I don't know much about the topic, but it seems like they get bumps in pay and it has nothing at all to do with their or their students performance. Like a bump in pay just for advanced schooling, a bump in pay for time on the job.

I also don't know how accurate this is, but my friend told me this about his wife who is a teacher. When a school is hiring a teacher, they can't call the previous school the teacher worked at and get any negative information....said something about the union rules or something. To me this goes against all logic....anyone have any insight on this? I always noticed she took a ton of days off, and I was like when she goes to get another job....isn't the school gonna tell the next school how much time she missed and he said they can't do that.

It has zero to do with job performance. It is a structured pay scale based on years of service, highest degree attained, and how much extra out of classroom activities that they manage. Teachers do get a decent time off policy, especially when you factor in the built in time off that the get for breaks. The big perk for time off is that if you don't use your sick time, you get to keep it and roll it over to the next year, though most places do now have a limit of an entire school years worth of break time that can be built up.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
I'm sorry. I know how much good the Republican party and conservatives have done for the gay community.

I'm sorry you are acting exactly like the people you are slamming by taking the actions of a few to label the whole.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
I'm sorry you are acting exactly like the people you are slamming by taking the actions of a few to label the whole.

So you don't think what Huckabee said will gain him any support with conservatives and Republicans?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
So you don't think what Huckabee said will gain him any support with conservatives and Republicans?

Any support is much different than with the all of them that you were stereotypically implying originally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Any support is much different than with the all of them that you were stereotypically implying originally.

liberals on the board don't do this type of thing. he's simply speaking about facts.

*awaits link to blog no one has ever heard of establishing all conservatives hate homosexuals and all conservatives watch/agree with Huckabee*

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
liberals on the board don't do this type of thing. he's simply speaking about facts.

*awaits link to blog no one has ever heard of establishing all conservatives hate homosexuals and all conservatives watch/agree with Huckabee*

I never said ALL conservatives and republicans feel that way. I said that this would gain him support with some conservatives and republicans.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 07:04 AM)
It is with conservatives.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I never said ALL conservatives and republicans feel that way. I said that this would gain him support with some conservatives and republicans.

You never said "some". You never made any indication of differentiation until you were called out on it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
You never said "some". You never made any indication of differentiation until you were called out on it.

So how do you fell about Huckabees statement? Would you vote for him?