• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ITS NOT ABOUT RELIGION ITS ABOUT MUSLIMS BEING INSENSITIVE BY WANTING TO PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION!

Kap, if it isn't about religion, you need to provide a reason for the rapid opposition to Muslims building a "Ground Zero Mosque" that is at least plausible. And, even if you manage to do that, you're still just using an outliar. The overwhelming majority of the opposition to this comes because they're Muslim.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
ITS NOT ABOUT RELIGION ITS ABOUT MUSLIMS BEING INSENSITIVE BY WANTING TO PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION!

Kap, if it isn't about religion, you need to provide a reason for the rapid opposition to Muslims building a "Ground Zero Mosque" that is at least plausible. And, even if you manage to do that, you're still just using an outliar. The overwhelming majority of the opposition to this comes because they're Muslim.

ALL of the opposition is because they're Muslim.

And there is significant opposition actually *trying to stop them*. These aren't just crowds of people protesting "hey, building that is rude!". They're trying to screw them with zoning laws, or get the building (and nothing else in the area) declared a historical landmark so no one can build there, or get Congress to investigate the people building it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
I see "Tea Party" and I really just think "Republican"

Fair enough, because when I see "Progressive" I really think just another liberal who is too ashamed to call himself a liberal.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
ALL of the opposition is because they're Muslim.

And there is significant opposition actually *trying to stop them*. These aren't just crowds of people protesting "hey, building that is rude!". They're trying to screw them with zoning laws, or get the building (and nothing else in the area) declared a historical landmark so no one can build there, or get Congress to investigate the people building it.

So, if this mosque was going up 12 blocks away from the get go, you are saying that there would still be this massive opposition to it? I will grant you that there will always be some opposition to it, but you can't say it would be on the same level it is now. Hell, they could have diffused this thing right from the start, made HUGE PR points to their side and almost neutered the opposition if right away they said something like " You know, our intentions were pure in trying to build this center here, to build bridges and heal the divide. but however pure the motives are, it is clear that choosing this site has had the opposite effect, and in the interest of fostering peace and understanding, we are beginning our search for a new site immediately." But no, they just did their heels in and get indignant at our indignation, as if they are the only ones that are allowed to be upset at anything.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
Fair enough, because when I see "Progressive" I really think just another liberal who is too ashamed to call himself a liberal.

That's pretty much true, but it's not so much "shame" as it is that "liberal" had become a dirty word (and still is, really)

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)

I'm a liberal and damn proud of it. And I don't give two s***s what a bunch of goof-offs think it means.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
So, if this mosque was going up 12 blocks away from the get go, you are saying that there would still be this massive opposition to it? I will grant you that there will always be some opposition to it, but you can't say it would be on the same level it is now. Hell, they could have diffused this thing right from the start, made HUGE PR points to their side and almost neutered the opposition if right away they said something like " You know, our intentions were pure in trying to build this center here, to build bridges and heal the divide. but however pure the motives are, it is clear that choosing this site has had the opposite effect, and in the interest of fostering peace and understanding, we are beginning our search for a new site immediately." But no, they just did their heels in and get indignant at our indignation, as if they are the only ones that are allowed to be upset at anything.

Hey, yeah, they could have avoid the whole controversy if they would have caved in right away!

Alternatively, Americans could realize 9/11 =! all muslims and that there's nothing wrong with building a community center with a mosque a few blocks away. But no, they had to go all crazy and let their irrational fears of all things muslim become national storylines.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 07:00 AM)
Hey, yeah, they could have avoid the whole controversy if they would have caved in right away!

Alternatively, Americans could realize 9/11 =! all muslims and that there's nothing wrong with building a community center with a mosque a few blocks away. But no, they had to go all crazy and let their irrational fears of all things muslim become national storylines.

One of the really amazing things about this story, to me, is that before it became national news, the local people in the area (who are the ones that really matter here anyway) were generally in favor of it. Early meetings with boards and what not were positive. Now you have the rest of the country weighing in.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
So, if this mosque was going up 12 blocks away from the get go, you are saying that there would still be this massive opposition to it?

If it were 8000 blocks away, there'd still be opposition. I'm in one of the states where we're getting the same exact protests over building of a new Mosque. They're vandalizing mosques and protesting mosques in Orange county and organizing Qu'ran burnings in Florida, for crying out loud.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
I guess all liberals are violent, 1st amendment right disrupters.

Death threats

Edit: and a shooting

Don't forget firebombers. It was a Carnahan staffer that firebombed his office, not a 'evil Tea Bagger' like att the lefty rags in St. Louis said it was.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/...on_campaign.php

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
Don't forget firebombers. It was a Carnahan staffer that firebombed his office, not a 'evil Tea Bagger' like att the lefty rags in St. Louis said it was.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/...on_campaign.php

From your link.

Correction: This story originally indicated that Carnahan confirmed the firebombing suspect worked for his campaign. That's not accurate. Carnahan confirmed that Powers once worked for his campaign but did not confirm that he was actually a police subject in the case.

Being interviewed doesn't make you a suspect.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
I'll get you other links when I get home from work. He IS the suspect atm.

His attorney has confirmed he is a suspect, but no arrests or charges have been made yet in that case.

I seriously hadn't heard of the incident at his office at all until you guys posted about it, and I usually follow these pretty closely.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
I'll take your word for it. Just thought it was odd that the story immediately backpedaled on calling him a suspect.

don't take his word for it!! he's one of them. a tea party!

*shakes fist in air*

Edited by mr_genius

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/24504...ends-daniel-fos

Congresswoman Violated Nepotism Rules, Funneled Thousands to Family and Friends

August 29, 2010 3:01 A.M.

By Daniel Foster

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D., Texas), a long-serving congresswoman from Dallas, improperly awarded thousands of dollars in college scholarships from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, violating nepotism and ethics rules by giving the funds to multiple relatives and the children of top aide Rod Givens.

Johnson also violated a rule that required scholarship winners to live or attend school in the awarding member’s district.

More at the link.

I wonder if the CBC will cry racism on this one as well.