• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
Two cults enter, one cult leaves.......

Westboro Baptist crazies picketing the Dearborn Islamic Center, on 11/18. Oh boy.

This is ridiculously disrespectful. There is nothing extremist about the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, MI. The Imam at this mosque works endlessly for religious reconciliation and understanding. His teachings have ecumenical underpinnings and is a prime example of moderate Islamic religion. So much so that George W recognized him for it.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
This is ridiculously disrespectful. There is nothing extremist about the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, MI. The Imam at this mosque works endlessly for religious reconciliation and understanding. His teachings have ecumenical underpinnings and is a prime example of moderate Islamic religion. So much so that George W recognized him for it.

Stop being politically correct.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)

There has been much worse written here about Catholics, so I am not worried.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Two cults enter, one cult leaves.......

Westboro Baptist crazies picketing the Dearborn Islamic Center, on 11/18. Oh boy.

You seriously are putting the religion of Islam in the same category as the Westboro idiots? Cults?

This after your recent posts extolling the virtues of racial profiling. I don't know how you expect anyone to react to your posts with anything but disdain, if this is the best you can do.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)

In the rules that you agreed to in order to post here, you agreed that the following posts are not acceptable or permitted in this forum.

--The use of ridiculous hyperbolic statements that are so far over the top, that no resonable response of discussion can follow them.

Your previous post violates this rule. Referring to one of the largest religions in the world as a cult is not acceptable discussion on this forum, at any time.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 06:48 AM)

Really? Show us.

I do know there are a few people who post in here who have derided all religions as a group. Some people find the very idea of religion as repugnant.

I've also seen people criticize the catholic church for specific policy or doctrine, just as people do so regarding Islam. No problems there.

What I haven't seen anyone do is "much worse" than calling a major global religion a cult. What would be worse than that, anyway?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Really? Show us.

I do know there are a few people who post in here who have derided all religions as a group. Some people find the very idea of religion as repugnant.

I've also seen people criticize the catholic church for specific policy or doctrine, just as people do so regarding Islam. No problems there.

What I haven't seen anyone do is "much worse" than calling a major global religion a cult. What would be worse than that, anyway?

I'm sure the Catholic Church has been raked over the coals a few times here over the pedophilia issues and how they handle it. But they deserve that.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
I'm sure the Catholic Church has been raked over the coals a few times here over the pedophilia issues and how they handle it. But they deserve that.

That's my point - people rail on the Catholic Chuch on a specific action, one that pretty much everyone agrees is awful. Similarly, people rail on the more fundamentalist Ismalic atrocities, like the Taliban, or stoning women who supposedly commit audultery. What no one other than Alpha Dog is doing, is referring to either religin as a cult, as if they millions or billions of members are all drones or something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
That's my point - people rail on the Catholic Chuch on a specific action, one that pretty much everyone agrees is awful. Similarly, people rail on the more fundamentalist Ismalic atrocities, like the Taliban, or stoning women who supposedly commit audultery. What no one other than Alpha Dog is doing, is referring to either religin as a cult, as if they millions or billions of members are all drones or something.

So when someone makes jokes about priests molesting kids, that's not mocking the religion in general? Nobody takes those as singling out just the few (or many?) priests that have and do molest kids, they all hear and take it as an inditement of the religion as a whole. And I refered to it as a cult because it made the 'two cutls enter, one cult leaves' flow better. But let's see. It has members willing to die for it, members that follow rules that most of the rest of the world think are silly and/or arcane, has its members so devoted that their life centers around it, not their family, work or anythgin else. Devotion to it is higher than devotion to family or country. Sure, most other religions fit into a few of these, but that first one, it is a biggie. On that note, I am done with this thread, and site. It has been a pleasure chatting with most of you, a headache cahatting with a few others. Go Sox.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
So when someone makes jokes about priests molesting kids, that's not mocking the religion in general? Nobody takes those as singling out just the few (or many?) priests that have and do molest kids, they all hear and take it as an inditement of the religion as a whole.

That's mocking the church on a particular issue, which is done here all the time, about Islam and Catholicism and all sorts of other groups. Its not exactly healthy dialogue, but its not a huge problem either.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
And I refered to it as a cult because it made the 'two cutls enter, one cult leaves' flow better. But let's see. It has members willing to die for it, members that follow rules that most of the rest of the world think are silly and/or arcane, has its members so devoted that their life centers around it, not their family, work or anythgin else. Devotion to it is higher than devotion to family or country. Sure, most other religions fit into a few of these, but that first one, it is a biggie. On that note, I am done with this thread, and site. It has been a pleasure chatting with most of you, a headache cahatting with a few others. Go Sox.

Most of this is just patently false, and you are applying the behavior of some to a BILLION people. Every religion I knwo of has some people who fit all of those, but never all of them. This is exactly the issue here - you are taking the lazy path of seeing a few examples of something bad, and applying it to a whole category of people. People on the right get mad when this is done to the Tea Partym and rightly so - you have seen me, in this forum, fight against people doing that. I'm just doing the same here about religion.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
In the rules that you agreed to in order to post here, you agreed that the following posts are not acceptable or permitted in this forum.

Your previous post violates this rule. Referring to one of the largest religions in the world as a cult is not acceptable discussion on this forum, at any time.

This is bull. That is your opinion. He has every right to say that. If you don't like reading it or have a different view, I think you should be the one to leave.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
This is bull. That is your opinion. He has every right to say that. If you don't like reading it or have a different view, I think you should be the one to leave.

NSS is admin, so I think his opinion on what flies in the forum counts.

Ya know, i'm not gonna defend the "cult" comment, but there's a bit of a double standard here. Someone calls a religion a "cult" and gets this random warning that it won't be tolerated. Someone else posts a video clip about how stupid the Bible is and there's not a peep.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Someone else posts a video clip about how stupid the Bible is and there's not a peep.

I'll bet you $10M that nowhere in the clip does the comedian call the Bible stupid.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Ya know, i'm not gonna defend the "cult" comment, but there's a bit of a double standard here. Someone calls a religion a "cult" and gets this random warning that it won't be tolerated. Someone else posts a video clip about how stupid the Bible is and there's not a peep.

I get what you're saying, and I've never been one to just throw down a line in here and not be open to discussing it.

Also I have to admit, I can't watch videos at work really, so I don't know the content of most of the videos posted here. Where is that video? I can watch it later.

People have posted here, for example, cartoons making fun of Islam. I think its in poor taste and not helpful, but I never said anything about not being able to post it. I've also seen cartoons about Catholic Priests and the usual child molestation theme. Same thing, seems counterproductive to me, but we allow it.

Now here, what was done was labeling an entire religion as members of a cult on par with the Westboro psychos. That, IMO, is a few steps beyond the examples I just gave. That's why I said something.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
Sure he's exaggerating but for the most part everything he said is true.

Well, "cult" is exaggerating, but what he said is true

Definitions:

Definition of CULT

1: formal religious veneration : worship

2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator

5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

b : the object of such devotion

c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

(at least definitions 1, 2 and 5)

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Well, "cult" is exaggerating, but what he said is true

Definitions:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

Oh hell, by those defintions (all but #3 which is entirely vague and subjective), every religion on earth is a cult.

To me, the line between cult and religion is found in two parts. One, followers of a cult actively avoid any discussion of the values of the belief - they literally give over thought control to the cult. Two, and this is the difficult and subjective part, the belief is founded on articles or stories so far outside the logical realm of the society around them, that no reasonable person outside said cult can believe it.

Islam, to me, is no more and no less cult-ish than any of the other major religions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Oh hell, by those defintions (all but #3 which is entirely vague and subjective), every religion on earth is a cult.

To me, the line between cult and religion is found in two parts. One, followers of a cult actively avoid any discussion of the values of the belief - they literally give over thought control to the cult. Two, and this is the difficult and subjective part, the belief is founded on articles or stories so far outside the logical realm of the society around them, that no reasonable person outside said cult can believe it.

Islam, to me, is no more and no less cult-ish than any of the other major religions.

Lol, I know what you're saying, but I think "magical man in the sky" religion kinda fits into this.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
I get what you're saying, and I've never been one to just throw down a line in here and not be open to discussing it.

Also I have to admit, I can't watch videos at work really, so I don't know the content of most of the videos posted here. Where is that video? I can watch it later.

People have posted here, for example, cartoons making fun of Islam. I think its in poor taste and not helpful, but I never said anything about not being able to post it. I've also seen cartoons about Catholic Priests and the usual child molestation theme. Same thing, seems counterproductive to me, but we allow it.

Now here, what was done was labeling an entire religion as members of a cult on par with the Westboro psychos. That, IMO, is a few steps beyond the examples I just gave. That's why I said something.

it's in the dem thread. basically a video of a comedian making fun of the origin of the contents of the Bible (in that it was an oral history taken down years later and then edited/translated multiple times at the whim of various authorities).