The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Lol, I know what you're saying, but I think "magical man in the sky" religion kinda fits into this.

Yeah I know, like I said, its all very subjective.

But, I agree with Rex when he says that labeling a billion followers of Islam, just as with labeling millions of followers of Christianity/Catholicism/Judaism/Hinduism/Buddhism, as the same as being in the Westboro group and/or a cult, is insulting, inaccurate, and inappropriate.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
it's in the dem thread. basically a video of a comedian making fun of the origin of the contents of the Bible (in that it was an oral history taken down years later and then edited/translated multiple times at the whim of various authorities).

See it here

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Yeah I know, like I said, its all very subjective.

But, I agree with Rex when he says that labeling a billion followers of Islam, just as with labeling millions of followers of Christianity/Catholicism/Judaism/Hinduism/Buddhism, as the same as being in the Westboro group and/or a cult, is insulting, inaccurate, and inappropriate.

Alpha made an off color comment. He never compared the two religions or said Islam is the same as Westboro, he just said 2 cults in, 1 cult out. Might have been in poor taste, but I just took at as a joke. Considering he made it in the Republican Thread, I think it was fine and certainly not worthy of this threat for violating rules. I would think that rule is more in line with saying...every muslim is a terrorist, every catholic priest is a pedophile...etc... It was a silly comment....he didn't come in here ranting ALL OF ISLAM IS A CULT. The Islam cult/religion debate has gone on, so I'd say it's a far cry from -- "hyperbolic statements that are so far over the top, that no resonable response of discussion can follow them."

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
When asked why President Obama comes across as aloof to many Americans, Biden replied: “I think what it is, is he’s so brilliant. He is an intellectual.”

LMAO!! Yeah that's it, Joe...

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/politics/2...?printable=true

It kind of is right. He's usually the smartest guy in the room, but he acts like he knows that, so he comes off as aloof and not connected to the reality of most Americans. Its the flip side of the problem with Bush, who felt much more like the everyday person, and therefore could connect with Americans better.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
It kind of is right. He's usually the smartest guy in the room, but he acts like he knows that, so he comes off as aloof and not connected to the reality of most Americans. Its the flip side of the problem with Bush, who felt much more like the everyday person, and therefore could connect with Americans better.

Brilliant my ass!!

obama-umbrella.jpg

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)

Why does everyone assume Obama is smart? Because he talks well. Bush was assumed to be an idiot because he couldn't speak without stumbling. Bush's grades were avg or above at Yale and Harvard. And he was a better student than Gore. But we do not know what Obama's grades were yet we assume he is a genius. Why is that? And don't tell me because not just any person can get into Harvard...

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
Why does everyone assume Obama is smart? Because he talks well. Bush was assumed to be an idiot because he couldn't speak without stumbling. Bush's grades were avg or above at Yale and Harvard. And he was a better student than Gore. But we do not know what Obama's grades were yet we assume he is a genius. Why is that? And don't tell me because not just any person can get into Harvard...

Obama taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago. That speaks for itself.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
MSNBC suspends Joe Scarborough for undisclosed campaign contributions over the years.

Why are they dicking around? Who really cares what Joe Scarborough does? It's pretty obvious he's a Republican, hell, he was a Congressman. What does MSNBC think they're trying to accomplish? My guess is to ease the PR backlash from the Olbermann thing.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 12:25 AM)
My guess is to ease the PR backlash from the Olbermann thing.

There ya go. They wanted to suspend Olbermann anyway, they found themselves a convenient reason, wound up only suspending him for 2 days because of the backlash, then learned that the guy they didn't want to suspend had done the exact same thing that they suspended Olbermann for.

Now this would have made the election interesting... Bush endorsing Obama.

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2010/11/bu...ote-for-mccain/

Bush: “I probably won’t even vote for McCain”

November 9, 2010 3:51pm

by Alex Barker

George W. Bush’s bombastic return to the world stage has reminded me of my favourite Bush anecdote, which for various reasons we couldn’t publish at the time. Some of the witnesses still dine out on it.

The venue was the Oval Office. A group of British dignitaries, including Gordon Brown, were paying a visit. It was at the height of the 2008 presidential election campaign, not long after Bush publicly endorsed John McCain as his successor.

Naturally the election came up in conversation. Trying to be even-handed and polite, the Brits said something diplomatic about McCain’s campaign, expecting Bush to express some warm words of support for the Republican candidate.

Not a chance. “I probably won’t even vote for the guy,” Bush told the group, according to two people present.“I had to endorse him. But I’d have endorsed Obama if they’d asked me.”

Endorse Obama? Cue dumbfounded look from British officials, followed by some awkward remarks about the Washington weather. Even Gordon Brown’s poker face gave way to a flash of astonishment.

To be fair, this wasn’t completely unexpected. The degree of enmity between Bush and McCain — particularly following their legendarily dirty fight in the 2000 South Carolina primary — is hard to exaggerate.

Indeed Bush is far from kind to McCain in the parts of his new book that relate his “complex relationship” with the Arizona senator. I’ve yet to see a copy, so I don’t know whether he mentions how he voted. But it might be worth asking. He was certainly wavering.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)

Because I've watched and heard him, because I've read a ton about him, because I know people who know him well. Even met him once, but very briefly, before he hit the national stage in force. I have every reason to believe he's a very smart guy.

And I have never, ever said Bush was stupid. He's not. No one reaches the Presidency who isn't well above average in what most would consider intelligence.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
too bad he sucks at being president

He's been not so great, thus far. But that isn't necessarily a direct correlation to intelligence either. The question wasn't how he's done as President - someone questioned why I thought he was a smart guy.

http://redwhitebluenews.com/?p=4908

Mexican Mayor tells US; Stop sending violent Mexicans back to Mexico, do something else with them!

RWBNews: A Mexican Mayor is blaming the US for escalating drug-cartel violence because Mexican citizens that commit violent crimes in the US are being sent back to their homeland of Mexico. The Mayor wants the US to make ‘other’ arrangements for the violent criminals and not repatriate them to Mexico. In other words, please keep our garbage because we don’t want them?

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2010/sep...rious-criminals

In a flabbergasting request, a coalition of Mexican lawmakers has asked the United States to stop deporting illegal immigrants who have been convicted of serious crimes in American courts.

The preposterous demand was made at a recent southern California conference in which the mayors of four Mexican cities that border the U.S. gathered to discuss cross-border issues. The only American mayor who attended the biannual event wasSan Diego’s Jerry Sanders, evidently because his city hosted it this year at a fancy downtown hotel.

Among the cross-border topics that were addressed at the conference was the deportation of Mexican citizens who have committed violent crimes in the U.S. The felons are persona non grata in their communities, say the mayors of Tijuana,Ciudad Juarez, Nogales and Nuevo Laredo. They want U.S. officials to stem the deportation of such convicts to their cities, according to a local newspaper reportthat covered the conference.

To support the request, the mayor (Jose Reyes Ferriz) of Mexico’s most violent city, Ciudad Juarez, pointed out that of 80,000 people deported to his community in the past three years nearly 30,000 had committed serious crimes in the U.S. Around 7,000 had served sentences for rape and 2,000 for murder. The criminal deportees have contributed to the escalating drug-cartel violence in his city, Mayor Ferriz said, so he wants the U.S. to make other arrangements when prison sentences are completed.

If this seems unbelievable, consider that a few years ago Mexico’s government formally complained that too many Mexicans had been repatriated from the U.S. and that the entire country was overwhelmed with demands for housing, jobs and schools. Various Mexican legislators publicly chastised the U.S. for sending illegal immigrants back, explaining that the country could not accommodate the “repatriated.”

Popularity: 6% [?]

Short URL: http://redwhitebluenews.com/?p=4908