The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

With a quick google search, it looks to be significant. I found one all ecompassing figure of $133 billion from 2001. With 10 years to add on to that, I am sure that means we are somewhere between $200 and $250 billion.

http://www.transalt.org/files/newsroom/mag...rovocateur.html

How are you coming up with your #s?

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/spend....total#usgs30260

From that chart, we spend 62 billion on ground transportation down nearly half from 10 years ago..And 35 is too highways. Which is less than 1 billion per state, to fix the highways. Are you happy with that? I still ask, are you also happy with the roads, bridges, levies,

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
And that seems pretty pathetic. Shunning patriots to appeal to foreigners. Cowardly.

You've yet to tell us how Americans are shunned or hurt in any way.

Once again, in that particular quote, he comes off like a scared administrator trying to suck up to foreign students by making sure no offensive display of patriotism could take place. He's not talking about the individual flags, he's worrying what the Muslims might think of a crapload of American flags being displayed on campus. That's appeasement, not thoughtfulness.

His concern was specifically that foreign victims were represented by American flags. There's no indication whatsoever that he's worried about what Muslims would think of a bunch of American flags on campus.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
Uh, yeah, sure.

ok, so if we take that acknowledgement that we really don't know what Pastoor said with this:

t's mostly that quote that gets to me. It would have been totally different if he had simply suggested putting up Israeli flags for dead Israelis and so forth. I probably never would have mentioned this. But then he tries to go on this PC kick, getting all worried about what the foreigners might think. That's really stupid.

then you really don't have much of an objection. The quote is not a direct quote of what he said, so getting upset over it and then condemning him and 'multiculturalism' or 'PC' for it doesn't make a lot of sense. All we know is that they asked them to include flags representing the nationalities of individuals killed and provided the flags. The CR's can go ahead with putting up close to 3,000 American flags, belying the claim that they did this in an attempt to repress a patriotic, pro-America display.

As far as him not responding, I'm doubtful that this will go anywhere outside of the ultra-conservative blogosphere, so why bother getting dragged into it? There's no way an administrator at a small lib arts college who suggested adding international flags is going to receive anything but hyperbolic reactions from that arena.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
As far as him not responding, I'm doubtful that this will go anywhere outside of the ultra-conservative blogosphere, so why bother getting dragged into it? There's no way an administrator at a small lib arts college who suggested adding international flags is going to receive anything but hyperbolic reactions from that arena.

I like the ultra-conservative blogosphere.

How about this oldie? California high school sends students home on Cinco de Mayo for wearing American flag t-shirts that were "incendiary". The American flag, incendiary? For real? And they were apparently told that they could wear the shirts on other days but not on that day, since that day is for the Mexicans. It might be their day, but it's our damn house!

Here's another one that got a bunch of attention. What a p**** that Ed Parraz is. Only after all of this idiocy did he decide that maybe they should focus on dealing with the Mexicans who were getting pissed off about Cody's flag? What a wimp. Edited by God Loves The Infantry

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
OMG! A local school administrator did something silly involving the American Flag! All Liberals clearly support treason.

That's pretty hyperbolic on your part. And think what you want, but I don't want that sort of dweeb having any sort of influence on my children.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Anyone hear about this Soulja Boi controversy? I'm not even mad about this. I thought he was an annoying, tacky rapper and I really find his act of career suicide to be refreshing. f*** the troops? Uh, ok, that'll be the end of you! If you have doubts, just check out his facebook page. Dude's getting reamed. Sucker.

sounds like its inconclusive if its even him?

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/battle-ratt...-troops-or-not/

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
sounds like its inconclusive if its even him?

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/battle-ratt...-troops-or-not/

Nope, he apologized.

It's too late though, and we aren't buying it. I mean, the guy says he "let his words get the best of him". Really? Producing a song takes a long time, I would presume. He put the lyrics on paper, he sang them time and time again, they were surely reviewed by agents and producers and all kinds of things. This wasn't just some spontaneous outburst that looked really embarassing after the fact. This had far more time for review than some retarded meltdown like that of, say, Michael Richards or such.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
IIRC in at least once of those cinco de mayo/american flag cases, the boys in question had antagonized Mexicans before and were vocally anti-immigrant, so wearing the flag on cinco de mayo was a deliberate act meant to incite a reaction.

There was apparently some incitement from students at that school. But not from the students that were sent home. That's what I got out of it.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
Nope, he apologized.

It's too late though, and we aren't buying it. I mean, the guy says he "let his words get the best of him". Really? Producing a song takes a long time, I would presume. He put the lyrics on paper, he sang them time and time again, they were surely reviewed by agents and producers and all kinds of things. This wasn't just some spontaneous outburst that looked really embarassing after the fact. This had far more time for review than some retarded meltdown like that of, say, Michael Richards or such.

ok, the article you linked to earlier had the MT link and it was still up in the air

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
I might regret this.. But.. What does the bolded part mean?

It means I wouldn't allow my child to receive an education at a school headed by the kind of guy who is incapable of taking a coherent stand, and who could actually see the display of the American flag as a problem.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
Isn't turning the flag into commercially sold articles of clothing considered against the flag code anyway?

This is a bit confusing.

Section 8d says the flag should never be used as wearing apparel. But I do not believe they mean depictions of the flag. I've got a t-shirt with an American flag depicted on the chest. And I know tons of vets with baseball caps that have a velcro spot to attach a flag patch, the same patch that goes on the right sleeve of our uniform.

I believe what they are prohibiting (although not really, since the flag code is only a voluntary guide of respect with no provisions for enforcement or punishment) is the wearing of an actual flag. Like when some rock star comes out using a shredded American flag as a shirt, or some athlete uses it as a cape. s*** like that.

But I'm not honestly sure.

Here's a good page about the provisions of the flag code. Ya'll can read through it and decide for yourselves. I'd say that depictions of the flag on t-shirts and ties are OK, although such things would from then on deserve a special respect. Napkins, mint wrappers and other items designed for temporary use and then discarding are not allowed. It's interesting, and admittedly, some of it is hard to follow. Is the 4'x6' flag pinned to my living room wall by four discreet thumbtacks acceptable? Not sure. Apparently, the display of the flag horizontally, as often seen at athletic events and conducted by service members, is prohibited by the Flag Code.

Another one...I'm considering a tattoo on my right bicep. It's going to have a skull with a rattlesnake coiled around it, and a banner with "Don't Tread On Me" and two flag poles through the skull. One with the USA and one with Texas. From reading this, it seems like the national flag should be on the viewer's left, my right. Meaning it will be towards the back of my arm. That seems weird. Maybe I need a new idea.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
How are you coming up with your #s?

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/spend....total#usgs30260

From that chart, we spend 62 billion on ground transportation down nearly half from 10 years ago..And 35 is too highways. Which is less than 1 billion per state, to fix the highways. Are you happy with that? I still ask, are you also happy with the roads, bridges, levies,

Roads spending isn't just done by the federal government, you know that right?