The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
Not a world tragedy? Wow. How old are you? I say that because you see the world differently at 40 than 12. The outpouring of support from around the world was amazing. I remember watching the coverage, nations everywhere shared in our grief and outrage. It's like saying the holocaust was a German or Jewish tragedy. People around the globe waving American flags, leading prayer services, lighting candles.

Yeah, I remember that. It was nice. The rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at Buckingham Palace on 9/12 was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. But that doesn't mean that two of their most symbolic buildings were destroyed, another one badly damaged and 2,500+ of their citizens murdered. It's nice that they showed such support, but it wasn't an attack on them and it didn't shake any of those countries to the absolute core like it did to ours.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
Wow. Ok, I'm done. :lolhitting They do matter, the brown ones give you a target.

Nice try, but I meant that the opinions of the Muslims and the Chinese don't matter when it comes to how American patriotism is practiced on American soil. I don't care what their opinions are on this topic, and if they're offended, so what?

I'm done too.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
Yeah, I remember that. It was nice. The rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at Buckingham Palace on 9/12 was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. But that doesn't mean that two of their most symbolic buildings were destroyed, another one badly damaged and 2,500+ of their citizens murdered. It's nice that they showed such support, but it wasn't an attack on them and it didn't shake any of those countries to the absolute core like it did to ours.

The fact that America was attacked on our soil made other countries feel far more vulnerable. That changed their policies. It did shake other countries, far more than another bombing in (insert small poor country here). To suggest that only one country can be affected by something, is just not realistic. Again, the holocaust shook Germany more than other countries, but the images of the refugees leaving the death camps shook the world. The tsunami that killed a couple hundred thousand people affected the globe, not just one country. There are world tragedies, there are events that shake the world, and 9/11 was one of them. But your world view is foreigners don't matter, so it would be difficult for you to accept it.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)

Weren't over 100 of those 2700 actually Uk citizens?

New York is one of the greatest cities in the world. One of the biggest, most vibrant, centers of modern civilization. A thousand years from now, if someone is studying the history of the earth, New York will be part of the curriculum along with Rome, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Baghdad (first city over 1,000,000), Alexandria, or Thebes. To think that the largest attack there since the British invasion during the Revolutionary War would not be a world tragedy is just not accurate.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
The fact that America was attacked on our soil made other countries feel far more vulnerable. That changed their policies. It did shake other countries, far more than another bombing in (insert small poor country here). To suggest that only one country can be affected by something, is just not realistic. Again, the holocaust shook Germany more than other countries, but the images of the refugees leaving the death camps shook the world. The tsunami that killed a couple hundred thousand people affected the globe, not just one country. There are world tragedies, there are events that shake the world, and 9/11 was one of them. But your world view is foreigners don't matter, so it would be difficult for you to accept it.

I didn't say it didn't affect other countries. That'd be a retarded claim. I just said it wasn't an attack on anyone else. It was an attack on us. It shook the world, but it shook us most because al-Qaeda was trying to kill us.

The Holocaust was an attack on Jews, and other groups the Nazis viewed as sub-human, and political dissenters and so forth. It shook the world and affected everyone. But it wasn't an attack on the world. It was an attack on a certain group of people with some other people grouped in. To claim that the Holocaust was an attack on America or Australia or Brazil would be ridiculous. It's just not true. And those images of emaciated Jews certainly affected people, but it doesn't mean those affected people suffered the gas chambers or summary execution like those Jews did.

The tsunami was horrible. But it wasn't an American tragedy. It might have affected us in a peripheral way, but it wasn't a real factor in our domestic lives. It was, however, a big thing in your life if you were Indonesian or Somalian or Indian. It was a tragedy for them. It might have made us sad, but I don't think anyone would ever refer to it as an American tragedy.

If you want a true world tragedy, I'd suggest the Spanish Flu of 1918 or the Black Death. Those affected everyone and inflicted tragedy on every corner of the globe.

Either way, this is a dumb argument and it's getting really redundant. So whatever.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
Nice try, but I meant that the opinions of the Muslims and the Chinese don't matter when it comes to how American patriotism is practiced on American soil. I don't care what their opinions are on this topic, and if they're offended, so what?

I'm done too.

remember when i pointed out that there's no real source that it was about 'not offending muslims and chinese'?

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
LOL, not even close, we are talking about what the FED gov can do to help the economy.. And S/he throws out the states... Would that not be trying to change the subject?

And the ROI is for the FED, not the states.

Do you have a better idea to help jump start the economy?

You asked how much is spent on roads and road maintenance, and then got mad when the number was too big, so you then tried to limit it to the feds, because it didn't fit the agenda. I'm also not buying a 30 year old statistic as being the best way to stimulate the economy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
You asked how much is spent on roads and road maintenance, and then got mad when the number was too big, so you then tried to limit it to the feds, because it didn't fit the agenda. I'm also not buying a 30 year old statistic as being the best way to stimulate the economy.

It's in writing, from an economist, so it must be true. There cannot be any limits or questions allowed to 40 year old statistics because it fits an agenda all nice and pretty in one's mind.

Got it, you only want to use the "We too much in taxes" talking point, as soon as facts are brought in.. you need to change to expand the talking point...

With that said..

How do you fix the economy?

Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Got it, you only want to use the "We too much in taxes" talking point, as soon as facts are brought in.. you need to change to expand the talking point...

With that said..

Obviously by comitting to a $10 trillion deficit over 10 years and seeing the economy at exactly the same place by shifting all of the money through government. Fixed!

Oh, wait a minute.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)

With that said..

How do I fix the economy? Stop trying to fix the economy. No more new tax cuts, no more big spending plans, no more union job give aways. We have pain to get through. The bad debt has to come off of the books, and the housing market has to bottom out to start to recover. Also no more threatening Wall Street and Main Street with punitive measures. This country has a history of recover from recessions without multi-trillion dollar packages. We can do it now.

How do I fix the economy? Stop trying to fix the economy. No more new tax cuts, no more big spending plans, no more union job give aways. We have pain to get through. The bad debt has to come off of the books, and the housing market has to bottom out to start to recover. Also no more threatening Wall Street and Main Street with punitive measures. This country has a history of recover from recessions without multi-trillion dollar packages. We can do it now.

So your plan is don't do anything.. and Hope things will Change?

As for the Bolded statement.. What exactly are you talking about ?

And lastly, we have been doing nothing for a while.. which is why we are here.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
So your plan is don't do anything.. and Hope things will Change?

As for the Bolded statement.. What exactly are you talking about ?

And lastly, we have been doing nothing for a while.. which is why we are here.

Yes, he is talking about the government getting the hell out of the way and letting business alone. Regulations upon regulations add massive amounts of financial burden to businesses, most without any real effect in what they claim to do. And before you go off the deep end, as you seem want to do, I am not saying we need NO regulations, but they need to back off. Requiring farmers to get CDL license to drive a tractor, regulating DUST as a hazardous substance and a host of other things just lead to financial costs to comply that hurt businesses, but serve little or no benefit other than to screw the companies and justify some bureaucrats existence.

As for what he was talking about, you constantly have Democrats threatening banks with all sorts of punitive fines and tax audits if they dont do what THEY want them to do. We got into the housing mess to begin with because they threatened the banks to MAKE risky loans to lower income people and such, then threatened them if they continued, now threatened them if they dont just 'forgive' the money they are actually owed or really bend the rules, that they will be 'taxed out of existence'. Just ask Maxine Waters about that one.

Dust can be a ridiculously hazardous substance and a major contributor to breathing issues. Keeping dust under control has been a major part of the clean air act. Dust generated by dry land out west was one of the largest contributors to U.S. air pollution before the city of L.A. was forced to give back some of its water to keep it wet.

And as the Wall Street Journal put it about the federal regulation requiring tractor drivers to get a commercial license, "There is no such regulation."

I'm impressed that at least 1 of the regulations you complained about was in fact real. Usually we get the rants about how Obama was mean to wall street by only giving them a trillion dollars rather than taking them over.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
Yes, he is talking about the government getting the hell out of the way and letting business alone. Regulations upon regulations add massive amounts of financial burden to businesses, most without any real effect in what they claim to do. And before you go off the deep end, as you seem want to do, I am not saying we need NO regulations, but they need to back off. Requiring farmers to get CDL license to drive a tractor, regulating DUST as a hazardous substance and a host of other things just lead to financial costs to comply that hurt businesses, but serve little or no benefit other than to screw the companies and justify some bureaucrats existence.

Exactly. Government doesn't create jobs or wealth or spark the economy. The private sector does all of that. Government needs to do its part with a very few necessary regulations to prevent market failures such as monopolies, but beyond that, it has no place interfering in the economy. The regulations Alpha points out above are just ridiculous and only hinder the economic recovery.

As for what he was talking about, you constantly have Democrats threatening banks with all sorts of punitive fines and tax audits if they dont do what THEY want them to do. We got into the housing mess to begin with because they threatened the banks to MAKE risky loans to lower income people and such, then threatened them if they continued, now threatened them if they dont just 'forgive' the money they are actually owed or really bend the rules, that they will be 'taxed out of existence'. Just ask Maxine Waters about that one.

More talking points.. Name the exact regulations that have put into place since the economy took a dive.. that is a burden.

You know why companies are hurting, CEO's getting 8 figure bonuses, then go.. Opps we are hurting. We give tax breaks to companies, who then ship jobs overseas.. I see it in my business all the time. Its not the GOV job to figure out corp finance. And its both sides

BTW.. I love the talking point that the gov caused the banks to hand out risky loans.. Showcased exactly the wording that states.. As a Bank, you have to give out a 400.000 loan to a guy making 30k a year. Its the Banks own fault, plain and simple.

Seattle Muslims offended by FBI Outreach slide titled "State Sponsored Terrorism" which features a picture of Ayatollah Khomeini. Really? There might be good Muslims out there, but that s***head wasn't one of them. He was a state sponsor of terrorism, through and through. Those idiots need to relax.

And why the f*** is the FBI concerned with outreach to Muslims? They need to quit pandering to all the "special people" out there and get back to their duties as the top federal law enforcement agency of this country.