The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
No surprise here:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008809140383

Be careful workers of Clerk's office, I smell a racism defense.

I posted about that in another thread. With as many times as ACORN has been busted for fradulent voter registrations, how is it that they STILL get government contracts and that nobody from the company is in jail? I guess it pays to have friends in high places.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/in...php/rubin/30411

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac survived scrutiny by manipulating, cajoling, and lobbying politicians and hiring board members who were politicos (e.g. Jamie Gorelick) rather than mortgage gurus. They hired lobbyists, gave massive donations, obtained nice tax breaks, and sailed below the regulatory radar screen.

Of the 354 lawmakers who received money from Freddie and Fannie between 1989 and 2008, Sen. Chris Dodd received the most. But next was . . . drumroll . . . Barack Obama. Yup. And he was only there for three years. Not too much went to John McCain, about a sixth of what Obama received (h/t Glenn Reynolds.)

But, you say, maybe all the Fannie and Freddie employees who gave money just “liked” Obama. That might make sense with ordinary institutions. But these two had a game plan to influence and sway lawmakers for the purpose of keeping them on the government gravy train and out of the regulatory line of fire. Itâ€s no coincidence that they “liked” Senate Banking Chairman Chris Dodd best of all.

So it would appear that this is precisely what Obama has been railing against: Washington insiders lining the pockets of other Washington insiders while the taxpayers ultimately have to foot the bill. The Agent of Change, it seems, didnâ€t exactly walk the walk on this one.

»Back to Contentions

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
It sure would be sad... if that's what he said. He of course said nothing of the like.

But he particularly singled out the meaning of electing someone who is black.

"That will be a transformative event in American politics and internationally," Biden said. "That all by itself will be significant."

What else does that mean? Oh wait, let me get my hip-waders on, it might get pretty deep.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
It sure would be sad... if that's what he said. He of course said nothing of the like.

Yeah... I mean... not even close, actually.

"That will be a transformative event in American politics and internationally," Biden said. "That all by itself will be significant."

What's untrue about that statement? If Obama gets elected it will be something my great-grandkids talk about in social studies class. I figured that by now this was almost universally agreed upon.

However, he should've avoided mentioning it altogether like Obama has mostly been doing, because he should know by now that people are acting like Chicken Littles about anything having to do with Obama's race.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
What else does that mean? Oh wait, let me get my hip-waders on, it might get pretty deep.

Its already pretty deep when you added a headline to an article that had no connection to any reality in the article.

Seriously. How do you make that leap? Not sure if you are aware, but, there has never been a black President (or any racial or gender minority President). So, yeah, its a transformative event. I'd say that's an apt description.

How do you jump from that to "vote for Obama because he is black"?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Its already pretty deep when you added a headline to an article that had no connection to any reality in the article.

Seriously. How do you make that leap? Not sure if you are aware, but, there has never been a black President (or any racial or gender minority President). So, yeah, its a transformative event. I'd say that's an apt description.

How do you jump from that to "vote for Obama because he is black"?

It makes him feel better. Like he has a cause or something.

I thought it was the Republicans who were the ones always bringing up race? It is just as bad to suggest that it is better to vote FOR someone because they are black as it is to suggest you vote AGAINST someone because they are black. And yes, you can substitute 'woman' for 'black'. He's saing 'Vote for Obama for A, B, C & D. Oh, and also because it would be a travsformative event. Because, you know, he's black! Bonus!'

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
I thought it was the Republicans who were the ones always bringing up race?

Ok, I'll bite. I'm about to oversimplify this, but we're already in that territory so I guess I have no choice.

I'm black (mixed race actually but for the sake of this discussion I'll be black). Odds are about 95% that I'll be voting for Obama come November with the remaining 5% split between McCain and a third party candidate. Has nothing to do with his race - it's a conclusion I came to on my own.

You're white (I'm assuming), virtually no chance you'll be voting for Obama and it also has nothing to do with his race, it's because you're a Republican and there's no reason for you to vote for a liberal.

Of the two of us, who has brought up race more often? (By the way, the only time I can recall doing it was in the Jeremiah Wright thread when that's what the conversation was about, the one time I got into it with Drunk Bomber, and to disagree at times when you say "race card is being played for X reason".)

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
I thought it was the Republicans who were the ones always bringing up race? It is just as bad to suggest that it is better to vote FOR someone because they are black as it is to suggest you vote AGAINST someone because they are black. And yes, you can substitute 'woman' for 'black'. He's saing 'Vote for Obama for A, B, C & D. Oh, and also because it would be a travsformative event. Because, you know, he's black! Bonus!'

He said nothing of the sort. He never said you should vote for someone because of anything - in fact, as far as I can tell re-reading the article, none of those quotes were endorsing Obama in any way at all. He said, and I quote:

"

That will be a transformative event in American politics and internationally," Biden said. "That all by itself will be significant."

He is stating that it would be significant, transformative, for that to happen. And of course he is right. Note that his description doesn't even say it would be GOOD - just that it would be a major event, a changing event. How can you not say that would be the case?

Nowhere in that article is Biden saying to vote for Obama because he is black.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
Nowhere in that article is Biden saying to vote for Obama because he is black.

If this is the kind of reaction that is generated regardless of how he puts it, maybe he should. Get his money's worth at least.

So NSS would have me believe that Joe was speaking in North Carolina, an important state for Obama, and he wasn't "endorsing Obama in any way'? That in itself is ludicrous. I guess Joe was just speaking to hear himself talk? (actually, that IS a possibility, but not likely) And here is where the writer of this piece does the readers a disservice. There is information missing. Look at these lines together:

Biden said the policies of running mate Barack Obama make his presidency even more urgent and declared this to be the most important election that any living person has seen in their lifetime. But he particularly singled out the meaning of electing someone who is black.

I am not saying that Joe says 'Vote Obama, just because he is black'. But by bringing that up as another reason to vot efor him is wrong. He is in effect saying, 'vote Obama because policy A, policy B, and because it would be a transofrmative event (because he is black).'

Lost, I know you are black. I am slightly suprised you couldn't tell I was white from our phone conversation! I sometimes slip into my country accent at wierd times. I bring up race because I, as a person that usually votes Republican, am constantly being accused of being a racist or stupid by leftwing pundits, commentators and the like because i dare to question Obama's stance on anything. Both you and NSS are two people on the other side of the political aisle whose posts i generally respect. But if you guys don't see that Biden is essentially saying yeah, it's ok, vote for Obama because he is black, then on that issue i am done.

Maybe I should bring up in that same article how Joe says Obama will appoint judges to ensure women get equa, pay for equal work? How's he going to do that when he doesn't even pay his women staffers the same as his male ones?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/3787...ckonline12.html

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
Ok, I'll bite. I'm about to oversimplify this, but we're already in that territory so I guess I have no choice.

I'm black (mixed race actually but for the sake of this discussion I'll be black). Odds are about 95% that I'll be voting for Obama come November with the remaining 5% split between McCain and a third party candidate. Has nothing to do with his race - it's a conclusion I came to on my own.

You're white (I'm assuming), virtually no chance you'll be voting for Obama and it also has nothing to do with his race, it's because you're a Republican and there's no reason for you to vote for a liberal.

Of the two of us, who has brought up race more often? (By the way, the only time I can recall doing it was in the Jeremiah Wright thread when that's what the conversation was about, the one time I got into it with Drunk Bomber, and to disagree at times when you say "race card is being played for X reason".)

Ya, ive only brought it up when it was relevant. I dont think it has anything to do with the election at this point. I can see how people bring race up for obvious reasons but I think the actual amount of people that arent going to vote for Obama strictly because he is black shouldnt be too high and vice versa. I do think that there might be a few independent women willing to vote for McCain strictly because of Palin, its just the world we live in.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
So NSS would have me believe that Joe was speaking in North Carolina, an important state for Obama, and he wasn't "endorsing Obama in any way'? That in itself is ludicrous. I guess Joe was just speaking to hear himself talk? (actually, that IS a possibility, but not likely) And here is where the writer of this piece does the readers a disservice. There is information missing. Look at these lines together:

I am not saying that Joe says 'Vote Obama, just because he is black'. But by bringing that up as another reason to vot efor him is wrong. He is in effect saying, 'vote Obama because policy A, policy B, and because it would be a transofrmative event (because he is black).'

Lost, I know you are black. I am slightly suprised you couldn't tell I was white from our phone conversation! I sometimes slip into my country accent at wierd times. I bring up race because I, as a person that usually votes Republican, am constantly being accused of being a racist or stupid by leftwing pundits, commentators and the like because i dare to question Obama's stance on anything. Both you and NSS are two people on the other side of the political aisle whose posts i generally respect. But if you guys don't see that Biden is essentially saying yeah, it's ok, vote for Obama because he is black, then on that issue i am done.

Maybe I should bring up in that same article how Joe says Obama will appoint judges to ensure women get equa, pay for equal work? How's he going to do that when he doesn't even pay his women staffers the same as his male ones?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/3787...ckonline12.html

Actually, I'm surprised you could tell I was black by the phone, if that's how you knew. I sound like a suburban white boy when I talk. :lolhitting They used to make fun of me in high school but I'm pretty sure I make more money than any of them now. Ability to speak proper English comes in handy during a job interview.

I actually don't completely disagree with you, because all along I've believed that the best thing for Obama is to not acknowledge his race at all except when it's completely obvious. I didn't like when he said the "oh by the way did I mention he was black" even though I knew where he was going with it, and I'm disappointed in Biden brought it up at all. He's trying to drum up the black turnout, but he doesn't really need to do that, black people (the ones that vote Democrat anyway) are ecstatic as it is.

But as far as what he actually said, the fact that he pointed out, I don't see any harm in that because it's the truth.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Ya, ive only brought it up when it was relevant. I dont think it has anything to do with the election at this point. I can see how people bring race up for obvious reasons but I think the actual amount of people that arent going to vote for Obama strictly because he is black shouldnt be too high and vice versa. I do think that there might be a few independent women willing to vote for McCain strictly because of Palin, its just the world we live in.

I believe that, for the most part, higher black turnout or people voting for him based on his race is mitigated by the honest-to-god racists, with a slightly larger "voting against" crowd.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
Actually, I'm surprised you could tell I was black by the phone, if that's how you knew. I sound like a suburban white boy when I talk. :lolhitting They used to make fun of me in high school but I'm pretty sure I make more money than any of them now. Ability to speak proper English comes in handy during a job interview.

I actually don't completely disagree with you, because all along I've believed that the best thing for Obama is to not acknowledge his race at all except when it's completely obvious. I didn't like when he said the "oh by the way did I mention he was black" even though I knew where he was going with it, and I'm disappointed in Biden brought it up at all. He's trying to drum up the black turnout, but he doesn't really need to do that, black people (the ones that vote Democrat anyway) are ecstatic as it is.

But as far as what he actually said, the fact that he pointed out, I don't see any harm in that because it's the truth.

I got it a little from the phone, but I remember you saying it somewhere else in here before.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
I believe that, for the most part, higher black turnout or people voting for him based on his race is mitigated by the honest-to-god racists, with a slightly larger "voting against" crowd.

Ya, the whole situation will more than likely be canceled out by the exactly what you just said. Its all coming down to swing states anyway.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
I got it a little from the phone, but I remember you saying it somewhere else in here before.

Oh, probably trying to make a point in the Jeremiah Wright thread and giving bona fides that I know how the black community thinks.

To be clear on what I was saying earlier, I am not saying that Biden wasn't endorsing Obama. I'm saying those quotes are not.

As an illustration, consider this... read that quote again, and attribute it to John McCain. Doesn't seem far-fetched, does it? I could see him saying a very similar thing, out of respect.

So, if you think that Biden was saying to vote Obama because he is black, then we'll just have to disagree. I saw no words of the like.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...hits-the-trail/

Obama's teleprompter hits the trail

Posted: 06:50 PM ET

Obama delivered his remarks at the Colorado State Fair of a teleprompter.

Obama delivered his remarks at the Colorado State Fair of a teleprompter.

(CNN) — It appears Barack Obama's teleprompter is hitting the campaign trail.

The Democratic presidential nominee has never tried to hide the fact he delivers speeches off the device, though normally he doesn't use one at standard campaign rallies and town hall events.

But the Illinois senator used a teleprompter at both his Colorado events Monday — making for a particularly peculiar scene in Pueblo, where the prompter was set up in the middle of what is normally a rodeo ring.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)

Obama without a teleprompter is like a fish out of water. If he wins, he'll probably wheel one around the White House and use it while talking to foreign leaders and dignitaries.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Interesting to note that the most clean campaign ever really isn't again... As usual taking a sentence out of context, or just not using the full sentence.

"The fundamentals of our economy are still strong but these are very, very difficult times. I promise you we will never put America in this position again."

Sounds way different than the crap you have been hearing ad nasuem the last few days, doesn't it?