The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
I'm sorry, did you say if they question man-made climate change?

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this post, but BEST did that recently and, lo and behold, they found the same findings that everyone else did.

Anyway, that "study" used to write that editorial you linked to was dumb garbage and the author admits as much in this new Atlantic article, though he attempts to dodge responsibility for his sloppy, poorly though-out work and his hasty conclusions by a "but accounting for bias is hard!" dodge.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
I'm not sure what you're getting at with this post, but BEST did that recently and, lo and behold, they found the same findings that everyone else did.

Anyway, that "study" used to write that editorial you linked to was dumb garbage and the author admits as much in this new Atlantic article, though he attempts to dodge responsibility for his sloppy, poorly though-out work and his hasty conclusions by a "but accounting for bias is hard!" dodge.

I'm getting at the general weakness of these type of "gotcha!" articles when this technique is commonplace on both sides of the aisle.

Thank you.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/28/...E7AR17P20111128

Barney Frank, author of Wall Street reform, to retire

Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) prepares to testify before the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee hearing on Enhanced Oversight After the Financial Crisis: The Wall Street Reform Act at One Year on Capitol Hill in Washington, July 21, 2011. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON | Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20am EST

(Reuters) - Democratic Representative Barney Frank, who helped to craft the landmark overhaul of financial regulations that bears his name, will not seek re-election in 2012, Democratic aides said on Monday.

Frank, who has represented his Massachusetts district since 1981, will hold a 1 p.m. EST/1800 GMT news conference to discuss the decision, aides said.

(Reporting by Andy Sullivan and Richard Cowan; editing by Bill Trott)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
I don't really like him either, but... jail? Just curious what you feel he did to deserve that.

How about one of the major players in the housing mess that helped to start this mess we are in? Every time a reform package came up, he squashed it. Helped put his boyfriend in a cushy job in the very industry he was helping 'regulate'. And I am sure more will come out later, just as it did when Murtha finally croaked, revealing what a crook he actually was. And I am also sure there are people with an R that the same can be said of.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
How about one of the major players in the housing mess that helped to start this mess we are in? Every time a reform package came up, he squashed it. Helped put his boyfriend in a cushy job in the very industry he was helping 'regulate'. And I am sure more will come out later, just as it did when Murtha finally croaked, revealing what a crook he actually was. And I am also sure there are people with an R that the same can be said of.

they're all crooks. that's why they all should have term limits.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)

Entirely possible something will come out later. Wouldn't surprise me. But nothing you list here rises to that level either. You want to jail people for bad policy? Then just jail all of Congress while you are at it. Then vote in new ones, and jail all of them within 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't like the guy, and you may turn out to be right later. But I'm not ready to call for someone to be jailed who has yet to even be indicted or investigated for anything illegal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Entirely possible something will come out later. Wouldn't surprise me. But nothing you list here rises to that level either. You want to jail people for bad policy? Then just jail all of Congress while you are at it. Then vote in new ones, and jail all of them within 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't like the guy, and you may turn out to be right later. But I'm not ready to call for someone to be jailed who has yet to even be indicted or investigated for anything illegal.

It was more my wish, an exaltation of joy and probably a prediction, so I will leave it at that.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
They have term limits, you the voter control them.

voters are idiots :P

nah but the problem is, the fact that they can stay in office indefinitely is part of what leads to the problem of not being willing to challenge the status quo because of fear of losing your job. if they were already guaranteed to lose their job, they'd probably do what was in the best interest of the people and not themselves - but this is a topic for a different thread.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)

nah but the problem is, the fact that they can stay in office indefinitely is part of what leads to the problem of not being willing to challenge the status quo because of fear of losing your job. if they were already guaranteed to lose their job, they'd probably do what was in the best interest of the people and not themselves - but this is a topic for a different thread.

The state of California, which has term limits, vehemently disagrees with what you suggested would happen.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

As long as they still get their state pension they will do whatever they want to. Take away the pension, put them on SS like everyone else, then let them try and get a real job after they screw the state/country up.

As long as they still get their state pension they will do whatever they want to. Take away the pension, put them on SS like everyone else, then let them try and get a real job after they screw the state/country up.

They do get real jobs... ever find it funny, that the head of some committees in DC, end up with the same firms they were required to monitor shortly afterwards?

Why do all the Sec of treasuries in recent years come from Goldman Sachs? And make policies that only benefit those companies.

The pensions are not the reason, the fact that I am willing to bet 99% of Congress is in the 1%of wealth, and aint going to do what is best for everyone just themselves. And both parties are to blame.

Edited by VictoryMC98

The sad truth is...the harder you make it to earn a living as a Congressperson, the more likely it is theyll take bribes or leave to become highly paid lobbyists selling their previous connections.

In case you are or others are interested, I am currently in middle (24% complete) of this book about the money problem in congress…

Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress--and a Plan to Stop It

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:39 AM)
The sad truth is...the harder you make it to earn a living as a Congressperson, the more likely it is theyll take bribes or leave to become highly paid lobbyists selling their previous connections.

$174k per year, office and staff allowance. They pay 6.2% into social security and 1.3% into the Civil Service Retirement & Disability fund and are then eligible for a defined benefit of up to 80% of their salary. Nice perk, well worth the 7.5% Office staff allowances from $700k on up to $1.6 million (in 2003, I am sure it is more now), office expense allowances of $180k a year (again, 2003) and a generous postage allowance. Yup, hard to make a living as a congressman.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
$174k per year, office and staff allowance. They pay 6.2% into social security and 1.3% into the Civil Service Retirement & Disability fund and are then eligible for a defined benefit of up to 80% of their salary. Nice perk, well worth the 7.5% Office staff allowances from $700k on up to $1.6 million (in 2003, I am sure it is more now), office expense allowances of $180k a year (again, 2003) and a generous postage allowance. Yup, hard to make a living as a congressman.

I agree, that is more than enough to make a nice living. And I am OK with that being the case too. It gives them zero room to say that reforming campaign and congressional finance is somehow going to take away their living.

Republicans offer reward for photo of Obama and PA gov during his trip there today.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/republi...-173127437.html

Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, offered a $100 reward on Wednesday to anyone who snaps a photo today of Bob Casey, the Democratic senator from Pennsylvania, with President Obama during his visit to the state.

"I've got $100 dollars... for any person that can get us a picture here," Priebus told reporters on a conference call. Priebus said that in an effort to distance himself from the president and his low approval ratings, Casey may suddenly come down with a "24 hour flu."

Rob Gleason, the chairman of the Republican Party of Pennsylvania, said on the call that he would be "shocked" if Casey fails to make an appearance.

"That would be a slap in the face to the president," Gleason said, because it would suggest a "lack of confidence in the president's ability to get elected."

As of Wednesday morning, Casey's campaign had not publicly released the senator's plans. It remained unclear whether he would appear with the president during Obama's appearance in Scranton.

Casey is up for re-election next year in a state where the president has dismal approval ratings. A Public Policy Polling survey released last week showed the president with a 42 percent approval rating and a 53 percent disapproval rating in Pennsylvania.

Polls show that for now-- in the absence of a clear Republican challenger-- Casey maintains a lead over the major potential Republican candidates for his seat. He is more popular than the president among Pennsylvania voters.

Pennsylvania and its electoral votes will play a key role in the 2012 presidential election. Gleason, although opposed to the president and his policies, said Wednesday that Obama's visits are positive in that they signal his home state's prominence in national politics.

"I love that he comes here ... and I hope he continues to come," Gleason said of the president.

Obama is scheduled to meet with a Scranton-area family at their home Wednesday afternoon and deliver remarks at Scranton High School.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/20...problem/45609/#

Adam Martin 1,067 Views 9:09 AM ET

An inquiry into whether the 2008 presidential campaign of former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson allegedly ponied up hush money to keep a woman from saying she and the then-governor had an affair, gives the scandal a decidedly John Edwards-like tone. The new revelation comes from a federal grand jury inquiry into possible campaign finance violations from the alleged payout. The Wall Street Journal reports:

The most explosive matter under investigation involves allegations by a former member of Mr. Richardson's inner circle. That individual said Mr. Richardson's political allies gave $250,000 to placate a woman who was considering suing the governor in 2007, exposing their alleged extramarital affair, according to people familiar with the federal probe. They said the woman was a state employee at the time that she allegedly became romantically involved with Mr. Richardson around 2004. The woman's identity has not been disclosed, and the type of suit considered has not been confirmed.

Those familiar with the case say prosecutors are seeking to prove that the alleged payment to the woman was a de facto campaign contribution to Mr. Richardson, intended to further his bid for higher office. In that case, the alleged payment could have violated federal campaign-finance law if it was not reported and did not comply with limits on political donations.

Similarly, the prosecution has argued that Edwards, who has been indicted in a North Carolina federal court, violated campaign finance laws by not reporting the money paid his pregnant mistress Reille Hunter as a campaign expense. The Albequerque Journal broke the story two weeks ago that Richardson's supporters had allegedly paid out to settle a threatened lawsuit.

http://www.diana-vice.blogspot.com/2011/12...-complaint.html

Breaking News: Election Fraud Complaint Filed Against Senator Richard Lugar

Greg Wright

Greg Wright, an Indianapolis resident and Certified Fraud Examiner, filed a formal election fraud complaint with the Indiana Secretary of State on Wednesday against Senator Richard Lugar and his wife, Charlene Lugar.

Wright alleges that the senator and his wife may have committed multiple felonies for voting in a Marion county precinct, using an address for a home they reportedly do not own.

"It is my understanding that Senator Richard D. Lugar has voted using an 'absentee' ballot that used as his residence a home located at 3200 Highwoods Court, Indianapolis, Indiana 46222," noted Wright.

Wright contends the property "appears to be owned by Elizabeth Hughes" and deeded to David and Elizabeth Hughes in 1989 and quitclaimed from David Hughes to Elizabeth Hughes in 2003.

Wright claims he spoke with Elizabeth Hughes recently who reportedly told him that Senator Lugar "had not lived in the house for 33 years and had no ownership interest in the property."

"She appeared shocked that he used that address as his Indiana residence," wrote Wright while also noting that David and Elizabeth Hughes were also registered to vote using the same address.

Is Lugar above the law?

"Based on a published account, Senator Richard D. Lugar stays in a hotel when he visits Indiana," stated Wright. "Based on my understanding of the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles regulations, and because of his age, it does not appear that Senator Richard D. Lugar could lawfully obtain an Indiana Operator Driver License."

Does he have a Virginia Operator Driver License?" asked Wright.

Wright describes himself as an "unofficial member of the Tea Party" and says says he was not asked by the Senator's political opponents to file the Election Fraud and Accessibility Grievance Form.

"No one has paid me. I am not a contributor to Richard Mourdock's campaign," Wright stated. "I did meet him once a few years ago shortly after he was first elected Indiana Treasurer."

"Many came to the U.S. to flee from the yoke of European nobility, or to flee from the enslavement enforced by descendents of conquistadores, or to flee fromt he arbitrary rules imposed by tribal bosses," commented Wright. "The ancestors of Tea Party members came to the U.S. because of the promise that all would be treated equally under the law," he continued.

"Unfortunately, today, we have a political class that behaves not unlike European royalty of the nineteenth century. The political class enjoys separate rules of conduct," he said.

Wright says he fears that the questions he raised with the Indiana Election Division will be "temporarily lost, delayed, or not acted upon."

"Will Senator and Mrs. Lugar receive the same treatment that would be given to common folks?" he asked.

"Will they be successful in their defense through the use of an esoteric phrase in the law that would only apply to them and someone else in this elite political class?"

Those all all fair questions, and it will be interesting to see if the law applies to Richard Lugar the same way it did to Charlie White.