The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
You don't want someone on UE taking whatever job they can immediately find because they otherwise face destitution, though. Part of the point is to provide a cushion so that you don't end up with massive underemployment.

Actually that changed at least in Illinois. You are allowed to make half of your benefit in wages and still receive your full benefit.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
If drugs aren't bad, then why do we have clinics for treatment and recover at taxpayer expense?

I'm not making a pro or con argument for drugs here. I'm using it to highlight that your claim of being in line with libertarian philosophy doesn't hold. The libertarian argument would be that anyone should be free to do as they please with their own bodies. At the very least, it should be completely decriminalized.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
I'm not making a pro or con argument for drugs here. I'm using it to highlight that your claim of being in line with libertarian philosophy doesn't hold. The libertarian argument would be that anyone should be free to do as they please with their own bodies. At the very least, it should be completely decriminalized.

They would be free to do so. They just couldn't force taxpayers to pay for them as they can now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
This still leaves you with a paternalistic government deciding that drug use is a bad personal decision.

Great. I am willing to cede drug tests for welfare if we get the government out of any other paternalistic decision making. I am willing to make that sacrifice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Great. I am willing to cede drug tests for welfare any form of government funds at all, including SS, Medicare, tax deductions and government contracts if we get the government out of any other paternalistic decision making. I am willing to make that sacrifice.

Let's not leave out the full scope of your position here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-120...0,5677751.story

Report: Doctors say John Edwards has life-threatening condition

GREENSBORO, N.C.—

A federal judge says she has two letters from a cardiologist saying ex-presidential candidate John Edwards has a life-threatening condition that will require surgery in February.

The letters were revealed during a hearing Friday to consider whether the ex-North Carolina Senator would go on trial later this month for alleged campaign finance violations.

Attorneys for Edwards were seeking a 60-day delay to allow time for Edwards to recover. The judge delayed the trial to March 26.

Edwards was in court at the judge's request, although doctors advised him to avoid travel and all court proceedings

I see dead people...................voting.

http://www.drudge.com/news/152326/900-dead...-sc-voter-fraud

900 Dead People Voted In SC. Voter Fraud Suspected

On Wednesday, Attorney General Alan Wilson asked State Law Enforcement Division Chief Mark Keel to review evidence of potential voter fraud in the state.

Wilson said the evidence of fraud was uncovered by Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles Kevin Shwedo during an extensive review of data related to the state's new voter identification law.

"Director Shwedo's research has revealed evidence that over 900 deceased people appear to have 'voted' in recent elections in South Carolina," said Wilson. "This is an alarming number, and clearly necessitates an investigation into potential criminal activity. I have asked SLED Chief Keel to review Director Shwedo's research."

He stole the ID in an attempt to frame the sec of state with 'unethical behavior'. And all he gets is a misdemeanor? He better get the full 2 years attached to it at least. That's slimy.

Former Obama Staffer Busted for Attempted Identity Theft of Iowa Sec of State

The Iowa Republican ^ | 1/21/12 | Kevin Hall

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:59:50 AM by Conservativegreatgrandma

Barack Obama’s 2008 Iowa New Media Director was arrested Friday for attempting to use the identities of Secretary of State Matt Schultz, and/or his brother Thomas, with the intent to falsely implicate the Secretary Schultz in illegal or unethical behavior. Zach Edwards, 29, of Des Moines, currently works for Link Strategies, a Democrat-affiliated organization with ties to Iowa Senator Tom Harkin. Edwards is the Director of New Media for Link Strategies.

The Secretary of State’s office discovered the alleged crime and reported it to authorities. Edwards turned himself in to the Iowa DCI agents Friday afternoon. He was charged with identity theft, a misdemeanor, and booked into the Polk County jail. Edwards posted $2,000 bail and was released later on Friday. He faces up to two years in prison.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
I see dead people...................voting.

http://www.drudge.com/news/152326/900-dead...-sc-voter-fraud

900 Dead People Voted In SC. Voter Fraud Suspected

How much you want to bet that the subsequent investigation which finds no voter fraud but instead finds that 900 errors out of 2.7 million possible registered voters is not a high number when you don't put much money or training into operating your election system will receive much less press than this outrage?

The usual explanation is that voters wind up either having names that are similar/identical or they wind up signing their n ame on the wrong line and the politician who wants to make a splash totals up the numbers and puts out the press release before doing the double-check.

Edit: Turns out that when questioned on that number, the Attorney General in SC didn't know what he meant by "recent elections". It's not over 1 single election, it's over several, and he couldn't tell how many, he just needed the sensational claim.

You can bet on the first cliche delivered during the state of the union. In the high odds I'd go with "Overcome the adversity". In the under 50/1 category I would go with "Reduce the deficit".

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/oth..._grp_ids=596542

8/1 We have more work to do

10/1 Health Care reform

10/1 As I stand here today

12/1 Fundamental belief

12/1 God Bless America

12/1 Crossroads of history

12/1 Defining moment

12/1 Make Washington work

14/1 Common purpose

16/1 Pursuit of happiness

16/1 Building a better America

16/1 Reduce the deficit

18/1 War on terror

18/1 It won’t be easy

18/1 Hungry for change

18/1 My civil liberties

20/1 Honour for me

20/1 I have a dream

20/1 Willing to listen to each other

20/1 Yes, we can

20/1 Don’t get me wrong

25/1 Hard to believe

25/1 I’m fired up

25/1 Withdraw our troops

25/1 There are better days ahead

25/1 Do Nothing Congress

25/1 We’ll have to make hard choices

25/1 We can be one people

25/1 A new direction

33/1 For far too long

33/1 Safe from harm

33/1 Jobs to the jobless

33/1 Reshapes our economy

40/1 Deepest gratitude

40/1 Greatness of our nation

40/1 Possibilities of this nation

40/1 Florida Primary

50/1 Believe in what this country can be

50/1 Unity is the great need of the hour

50/1 In the face of despair, you believe there can be hope

50/1 We can work together to keep our country safe

50/1 Abiding faith

66/1 Brighter day will come

66/1 Publish tax returns

66/1 Washington has a long way to go

80/1 Overcome the adversity

80/1 Bloated federal government

100/1 Diversity of my heritage

100/1 Yes, we might

250/1 Life is like a box of chocolates

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
You can bet on the first cliche delivered during the state of the union. In the high odds I'd go with "Overcome the adversity". In the under 50/1 category I would go with "Reduce the deficit".

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/oth..._grp_ids=596542

25/1 We’ll have to make hard choices. That's my guess. And then he goes golfing.