• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
How much you want to bet that the subsequent investigation which finds no voter fraud but instead finds that 900 errors out of 2.7 million possible registered voters is not a high number when you don't put much money or training into operating your election system will receive much less press than this outrage?

The usual explanation is that voters wind up either having names that are similar/identical or they wind up signing their n ame on the wrong line and the politician who wants to make a splash totals up the numbers and puts out the press release before doing the double-check.

Earlier this month, the DMV director said his staff had used records from the State Election Commission, the state Department of Vital Statistics and also the Social Security Administration, to calculate the dead voter data. While he said that his staff had determined that approximately 950 people might have voted after dying, he added a caveat: Data-reporting problems or other errors could lower that number.

Today, Andino testified that the state election agency had been able to confirm some of those problems.

Before the hearing, Horry County GOP Rep. Alan Clemmons, who led the hearing, said, "We must have certainty in South Carolina that zombies aren't voting."

The State Election Commission responded in kind.

In a news release that election agency spokesman Chris Whitmire handed out prior to the hearing, the agency disputed the claim that dead people had voted. One allegedly dead voter on the DMV's list cast an absentee ballot before dying; another was the result of a poll worker mistakenly marking the voter as his deceased father; two were clerical errors resulting from stray marks on voter registration lists detected by a scanner; two others resulted from poll managers incorrectly marking the name of the voter in question instead of the voter above or below on the list.

The attorney general's office had only given the State Election Commission six names off its list of 950 or so names to examine. The agency found every one of them to be alive and otherwise eligible to vote, except for the one who had voted before dying.

During her testimony, Andino confronted the DMV's claim that dead people had voted.

"Characterizing this as an established fact threatens our confidence" in the election process, she said. "This is not a question that needs to linger in the minds of voters ... the truth is out there."

She also said she hasn't been provided the full list of 950 allegedly dead voters. She said she has been communicating with an investigator in the attorney general's office to try and get her hands on it. They are supposed to meet today, she said.

That the list has remained something of a state secret disturbs S.C. Senate Democratic Caucus director Phil Bailey, who says that only Republicans so far have been able to view it.

Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
But I thought it never happened?

:confused:It... didn't?

They've checked the six names released so far, and every one was a legit vote.

In-person voter fraud, the kind that voter ID laws would stop, does happen but is exceedingly rare to the point that one or two cases every several years get trumpeted endlessly as proof of MASSIVE ELECTION FRAUD. To the extent that it's a real problem, it's so minuscule that it wouldn't even have changed Florida in 2000 (unlike the really terribly handled felon voter roles!). On the other hand, the voter ID laws proposed to "fix" this problem result in the disenfranchisement of millions.

Edited by StrangeSox

Not surprising really...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard...-president-bush

As NewsBusters previously reported, NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams on Thursday, reacting with predictably similar disgust as the rest of the media to the picture of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer pointing her finger at Barack Obama, asked viewers, "Who have you ever seen talking to the president like this?"

Maybe he should have looked in the archives of interviews he did with George W. Bush wherein he was guilty of making the exact same supposedly offensive hand gesture at the President of the United States (videos follow with loads of commentary):

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard...h#ixzz1ky2Mpyti

Well, there's a bit of a difference between the gesturing that Williams did and the more angry, accusatory gestures of Brewer. edit: to be fair I haven't seen video of Brewer because I don't care about this dumb issue.

But who cares, the President isn't some monarch above reproach.

Edited by StrangeSox

http://hosted2.ap.org/ALDEC/TDNational/Art...c4903ba1abc5f19

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Lincoln County Sheriff Jerry Bowman and Clerk Donald Whitten will plead guilty to charges that they attempted to flood the 2010 Democratic primary with fraudulent absentee ballots, becoming the latest southern West Virginia officeholders ensnared by an investigation into election fraud, federal and state officials announced Monday.

I assume you will now next say that since it was caught it doesn't' matter, or some such drivel.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
I assume you will now next say that since it was caught it doesn't' matter, or some such drivel.

Clearly, the solution is Voter ID laws.

Oh wait, it's another case of absentee ballots, which would have not been caught by any Voter ID law out there. Oops, forgot. Again.

If anyone actually cared one iota about preventing voter fraud, eliminating mail in/absentee ballots would be number 1 on the list. But then, that doesn't explicitly prevent Democrats from voting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
Clearly, the solution is Voter ID laws.

Oh wait, it's another case of absentee ballots, which would have not been caught by any Voter ID law out there. Oops, forgot. Again.

If anyone actually cared one iota about preventing voter fraud, eliminating mail in/absentee ballots would be number 1 on the list. But then, that doesn't explicitly prevent Democrats from voting.

I seem to recall you saying vote fraud didn't exist. Not voter ID fraud. I readily admit this had nothing to do with requiring an ID. But is IS vote fraud.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
I seem to recall you saying vote fraud didn't exist. Not voter ID fraud. I readily admit this had nothing to do with requiring an ID. But is IS vote fraud.

No, we've said that in-person voting fraud is damn near non-existent and we don't need Voter ID laws disenfranchising millions of legit voters to solve a non-problem.

edit: well, there is a real problem these Voter ID laws solve, and that's poors voting for Democrats.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)

A small case, hundred voters or so, easily wrapped up and prosecuted since it involved several hundred people, involving absentee ballots, and barely able to impact a small election. Some would call that the exception that proves the rule.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
I'm wondering if you can expand on why its a false equivalency to require an unnecessary, invasive examination for a male-only procedure?

i'm not even sure what this post is supposed to mean.

Edited by mr_genius

Remember when Republicans were the only ones seeking to infringe upon all of our freedoms:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/f...a-sky-near-you/

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It’s … a drone, and it’s watching you. That’s what privacy advocates fear from a bill Congress passed this week to make it easier for the government to fly unmanned spy planes in U.S. airspace.

The FAA Reauthorization Act, which President Obama is expected to sign, also orders the Federal Aviation Administration to develop regulations for the testing and licensing of commercial drones by 2015.

Privacy advocates say the measure will lead to widespread use of drones for electronic surveillance by police agencies across the country and eventually by private companies as well.

I can't think of a single appropriate usage for this technology within borders other than to spy on American citizens.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Judge Demands Report On Prosecutorial Misconduct In Ted Stevens Case Be Made Public

“The government’s ill-gotten verdict in the case not only cost that public official his bid for re-election, the results of that election tipped the balance of power in the United States Senate,” Sullivan wrote. “That the government later moved to dismiss the indictment with prejudice and vacate the verdict months after the trial does not eradicate the misconduct, nor should it serve to shroud that misconduct in secrecy.”

Withholding the report from the public and “leaving the public with only the information from the trial and immediate post-trial proceedings,” Sullivan wrote, “would be the equivalent of giving a reader only every other chapter of a complicated book, distorting the story and making it impossible for the reader to put in context the information provided. The First Amendment, the public, and our system of justice demand more.”

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Remember when Republicans were the only ones seeking to infringe upon all of our freedoms:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/f...a-sky-near-you/

I can't think of a single appropriate usage for this technology within borders other than to spy on American citizens.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
This belongs in the "Obamanation" thread as a great example of some terrible policies from this WH.

"SPEED LIMITE ENFORCED BY PREDATOR DRONE MISSILES"

While I agree there are serious dangers here, I disagree that the only use would be for spying. Unmanned drones can and would envelop, for example, commercial airflight of unmanned aircraft. Cargo planes, for example. All sorts of other uses as well.

And before anyone get apopleptic about this, I am right there with you about the potential dangers. But your assumption about this being ONLY for spying are narrow and inaccurate.

Also worth noting, it says the FAA needs to come up with rules - that would be subject to review, public scrutiny, and congressional approval.