• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
As a matter of politics, I have no idea why on Earth you would bury the House voting to hold the Attorney General in contempt on this day.

Because its ultimately a loser. Eric Holder's initial response was pretty strong and kind of a winner, politically to be honest. National Review has even gone out and said that this contempt vote is ridiculous. The deeper this investigation goes, I think the less we'll see actually happened.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Because its ultimately a loser. Eric Holder's initial response was pretty strong and kind of a winner, politically to be honest. National Review has even gone out and said that this contempt vote is ridiculous. The deeper this investigation goes, I think the less we'll see actually happened.

I disagree. Even if there's really nothing to this at all..."President uses executive privilege" and "Attorney General held in contempt" are big, powerful headlines. They make it clear that something untoward happened. Those are now buried on page 9.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
I disagree. Even if there's really nothing to this at all..."President uses executive privilege" and "Attorney General held in contempt" are big, powerful headlines. They make it clear that something untoward happened. Those are now buried on page 9.

When even National Review is burying the story, because there's little being uncovered from the mountains of data that has already been provided in this investigation - I'm inclined to trust my gut. I think there's precious little to see here.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
When even National Review is burying the story, because there's little being uncovered from the mountains of data that has already been provided in this investigation - I'm inclined to trust my gut. I think there's precious little to see here.

You're inclined to be biased, you mean.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
I am biased to begin with, thankyouverymuch.

I know that. So it'd be easier that you just say you feel there is nothing to be found because you don't want anything to be found...instead of pretending as if the "mountains of data" show nothing...when there have been no "mountains of data".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Police seek charges on former commerce secretary over hit & run incident.

Prosecutor declines to charge him. Says he had a small amount of ambien in his system but said it couldn't be determined whether it was enough to cause the accident and said it was more likely his behavior was the result of suffering that seizure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
Prosecutor declines to charge him. Says he had a small amount of ambien in his system but said it couldn't be determined whether it was enough to cause the accident and said it was more likely his behavior was the result of suffering that seizure.

And if his name was Balta or Alpha Dog his ass would be behnd bars already, regardless.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
is it just me, or is the whole Christ Christie schtick of being an enraged fat guy yelling at everyone getting old?

It was old before he became governor of a liberal state. Therefore, he must be the best Re-pube-lican ever.

He's a right of center Democrat (you know, like the party used to be before the "dirty hippees" took over).

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
It was old before he became governor of a liberal state. Therefore, he must be the best Re-pube-lican ever.

He's a right of center Democrat (you know, like the party used to be before the "dirty hippees" took over).

I have also decided i don't like Romney. might not vote for him.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)

There's nothing about Chris Christie that would put him in the Democratic Party. He's a guy who has made his entire governorship on taking a dump on public employees.

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-republ...nt-their-states

Voters in 17 states elected new Republican governors in November 2010. This new breed of fiscally-conservative, tea party-supported Republican governors took office in January 2011. Here is how those states have fared since then, in terms of their unemployment rates:

Kansas - 6.9% to 6.1% = a decline of 0.8%

Maine - 8.0% to 7.4% = a decline of 0.6%

Michigan - 10.9% to 8.5% = a decline of 2.4%

New Mexico - 7.7% to 6.7% = a decline of 1.0%

Oklahoma - 6.2% to 4.8% = a decline of 1.4%

Pennsylvania - 8.0% to 7.4% = a decline of 0.6%

Tennessee - 9.5% to 7.9% = a decline of 1.6%

Wisconsin - 7.7% to 6.8% = a decline of 0.9%

Wyoming - 6.3% to 5.2% = a decline of 1.1%

Alabama - 9.3% to 7.4% = a decline of 1.9%

Georgia - 10.1% to 8.9% = a decline of 1.2%

South Carolina - 10.6% to 9.1% = a decline of 1.5%

South Dakota - 5.0% to 4.3% = a decline of 0.7%

Florida - 10.9% to 8.6% = a decline of 2.3%

Nevada - 13.8% to 11.6% = a decline of 2.2%

Iowa - 6.1% to 5.1% = a decline of 1.0%

Ohio - 9.0% to 7.3% = a decline of 1.7%

Every single one of these 17 states has seen its unemployment rate decline since January 2011. Three of them have had unemployment drop by more than 2% (Michigan, Florida, and Nevada). The average drop in the unemployment rate in these states was 1.35%. For a comparison, in January 2011 the U.S. national unemployment rate stood at 9.1%. It is currently 8.2%, meaning that the national unemployment rate has declined by just 0.9% since then. Based on these percentages, it can be said that the job market in states with new Republican governors is improving a full 50% faster than the job market nationally.

Now let's look at the eight states that elected new Democratic governors in 2010. Just like their Republican counterparts, these new Democratic governors took office in January 2011. Here's how those states have fared since then, in terms of unemployment:

Colorado - 8.8% to 8.1% = a decline of 0.7%

New York - 8.2% to 8.6% = an increase of 0.4%

Oregon - 9.9% to 8.4% = a decline of 1.5%

California - 12.1% to 10.8% = a decline of 1.3%

Connecticut - 9.3% to 7.8% = a decline of 1.5%

Hawaii - 6.7% to 6.3% = a decline of 0.4%

Minnesota - 6.8% to 5.6% = a decline of 1.2%

Vermont - 6.0% to 4.6% = a decline of 1.4%

The average drop in the unemployment rate in these states was 0.95%, approximately the same as the drop seen nationally. It's interesting to note than one of these states (New York) has actually experienced an increase in its unemployment rate since January 2011.

Based on this data, it appears that the policies being implemented at the state level by newly elected Republican governors are having a positive impact in terms of job creation.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

A counterpoint to that, at least in the case of Wisconsin, is that Wisconsin was the only state in the country from March 2011 to March 2012 to have statistically significant total job loss:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/state-pos...-148694855.html

So unemployment figures alone, especially at the state level, don't paint the whole picture. You'd also have to look at state legislative body make-up and what policies were actually enacted. And, of course, in states like Michigan and Ohio, the auto bailouts are central to any employment argument there. Can you credit a Republican governor's policies for that?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
A counterpoint to that, at least in the case of Wisconsin, is that Wisconsin was the only state in the country from March 2011 to March 2012 to have statistically significant total job loss:

So unemployment figures alone, especially at the state level, don't paint the whole picture. You'd also have to look at state legislative body make-up and what policies were actually enacted. And, of course, in states like Michigan and Ohio, the auto bailouts are central to any employment argument there. Can you credit a Republican governor's policies for that?

Excuses, excuses. My side is doing better. Neener, neener, neener. :headbang

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)

How about some credit to an earthquake?

It's actually remarkable. Even regarding the automobile industry, they have absolutely no ability whatsoever to even conceive the notion of "demand side." the only thing with any importance is te big business level. The loss of demand from Japan for everything...not even worth a second thought. Only thing that matters is the production side.