• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't read the entire thread, but it shocks me that I haven't seen anyone posit the argument that perhaps teachers' jobs should have more "perks" because they are one of, if not the most important profession for the maintenance of American society. Good educators are the key to social mobility, ie the American Dream. We can't really control if kids are born into ideal situations, but we do have some control over their educational experience -- it should be a huge priority that children should have every opportunity to utilize their public education to move up the socioeconomic ladder if they wish.

It starts with teachers. Pay them more, give them more protection if that's what it takes to attract the truly talented people to the profession. I can't even begin to tell you all the people I know who consider their dream job to teach, but they can't fathom taking on all the debt to become college educated (post-graduate experience needed in some states, even MORE debt) and then receive what is often not nearly enough to live a decent lifestyle and make meaningful progress on paying down loans. I realize there are exceptions to this based on where you teach, where you went to school, if you were able to get financial assistance in college, etc.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
I haven't read the entire thread, but it shocks me that I haven't seen anyone posit the argument that perhaps teachers' jobs should have more "perks" because they are one of, if not the most important profession for the maintenance of American society. Good educators are the key to social mobility, ie the American Dream. We can't really control if kids are born into ideal situations, but we do have some control over their educational experience -- it should be a huge priority that children should have every opportunity to utilize their public education to move up the socioeconomic ladder if they wish.

It starts with teachers. Pay them more, give them more protection if that's what it takes to attract the truly talented people to the profession. I can't even begin to tell you all the people I know who consider their dream job to teach, but they can't fathom taking on all the debt to become college educated (post-graduate experience needed in some states, even MORE debt) and then receive what is often not nearly enough to live a decent lifestyle and make meaningful progress on paying down loans. I realize there are exceptions to this based on where you teach, where you went to school, if you were able to get financial assistance in college, etc.

thank you.

Marty, your last post is ridiculous. Go try and teach high school and get back to me with how easy it is.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
i really am starting to dislike Romney. he's starting to remind me of that idiot jon huntsman.

yeah, the only republican candidate who had half a brain.

I wanted to mention that it was one of the most important professions in this country but I figured I'd get ridiculed with a bunch of these " :lolhitting " or someone would point out that I get my summers off and that my job is easy.

Little do they know. Excellent post. Make teaching worthwhile and the quality of teachers will go up.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
How many holidays, non-summer vacation days do you get?

You may not be able to slack during the day, but how much daily pressure is a teacher under? You're not going to be held accountable by your bosses if a student fails a test.

No vacation days outside of summer. You get the usual holidays (labor day, memorial day) and then a few more just because its a school (columbus day, president's day) but the majority of the time if the students are off the teachers are still at the school having an institute day.

And teacher's are under a tremendous amount of pressure especially the ones who coach or sponsor clubs. I will be coaching girls basketball and when the season starts I wont be done with my day until 6pm on days without games (between 8-9pm on days with games). And then I have to go home and make sure that I'm ready to teach tomorrow and grade any assignments etc. That's with days starting at 7am.

Teaching isn't easy. The misconception that it's easy and you get 25% of the year off needs to change and the profession needs to start being respected otherwise education will never be fixed in this country.

Edit: And I will be held accountable if I cannot keep control of my classroom or the entire class fails etc.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 03:54 AM)
this Romney speech is very boring

I watched the replay just now. Thought Romney had a bizarre smirk on his face at times. Do you agree? I think he's kind of creepy. Obama in a landslide.

Obama has the best thing going. He can just say in his conversational tone: "Look folks. It takes longer than four years to fix this mess, especially when the other side tries to block my every move. Give me more time; trust me, it'll all be fine."

Edited by greg775

I think teaching is something that can (at times, at least) come somewhat easily to those that are able to do it. For those that are less equipped, it would be damn near impossible to do the job well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:13 AM)
AP exams said otherwise.

AP exams can be an interesting test for teachers, really. It takes a lot of different things having been done right to have students score well. I've had teachers that I consider very good at teaching not have students be successful on AP exams. Previous teachers may have been a factor, but in some cases I know for sure that it had some to do with their ability to plan the course. If the class learns everything you teach but doesn't succeed on the test, perhaps more or different things needed to be taught.

I will say, though, now that I'm in college I wish I could have had more non-AP courses. In many subjects the AP curriculum is not very useful once you get into college.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
He can just say in his conversational tone: "Look folks. It takes longer than four years to fix this mess, especially when the other side tries to block my every move. Give me more time; trust me, it'll all be fine."

Obama needs to do more than that. Romney doesn't suck that bad.

Edited by mr_genius

I don't want to s*** on teachers here, as they are very important. But I'm gonna say this is all an overstatement. Parents are more important than teachers, and your mentality has been bought by the vast majority of the country unfortunately, and that's why our educational system sucks. We demand too much of teachers and when they fail to perform we point the finger at them. It's not the parents fault for not being a parent and teaching their kids the importance of education, it's the teachers fault for not being miracle workers. But no amount of money will provide kids that good parenting, so it's just hard for me to believe that more money=better teachers=better education system. I mean, I had good teachers and I had s***ty teachers. But I had better parents, so regardless of the teacher I learned what I needed to learn because I knew what the end goal was and what I had to get through to get there.

You guys just crack me up with this summer time off crap. You have it better than 95% of the people in this country that are working. You have a decent pay, you have a good amount of time off, and you get crazy good benefits. So, stop yo b****in'.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
I watched the replay just now. Thought Romney had a bizarre smirk on his face at times. Do you agree? I think he's kind of creepy. Obama in a landslide.

Obama has the best thing going. He can just say in his conversational tone: "Look folks. It takes longer than four years to fix this mess, especially when the other side tries to block my every move. Give me more time; trust me, it'll all be fine."

You know what message plays best to the majority of people out there: 4 years of little to no improvement in just about anything. The "just trust me and give me 4 more years" crap is just not going to sell. He'll probably win again, but he won't "win" it so much as Romney will "lose" it by not being very likeable. It'll be like Bush/Kerry.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
They shouldn't stop their b****ing because plenty in this country constantly attack teachers and their hard-fought wages and benefits.

Who? Did anyone in this thread start by saying teachers suck and need to shut up? Or did a teacher b**** about their pay first? That's the way this argument always starts.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
Who? Did anyone in this thread start by saying teachers suck and need to shut up? Or did a teacher b**** about their pay first? That's the way this argument always starts.

I wasn't talking only about this thread. How often have state Republicans attacked teachers and teachers unions lately? There have been several recall elections in Wisconsin over this.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
I wasn't talking only about this thread. How often have state Republicans attacked teachers and teachers unions lately? There have been several recall elections in Wisconsin over this.

This isn't a republican issue. The great Messiah Emanuel is saying the same things right now in Chicago.