The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Reddy thinks Democrats don't raise taxes on middle class workers. I'm merely supplying some valuable examples for him to learn from.

hahaha i didn't say that. I said that Democrats want to raise the amount of taxes that the WEALTHY pay by forcing them to pay the same PROPORTION as the middle/lower class! Republicans want the upper class to pay a LOWER PROPORTION of their income as tax, thus putting the burden on the middle/lower classes.

What don't you understand about this?

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
hahaha i didn't say that. I said that Democrats want to raise the amount of taxes that the WEALTHY pay by forcing them to pay the same PROPORTION as the middle/lower class! Republicans want the upper class to pay a LOWER PROPORTION of their income as tax, thus putting the burden on the middle/lower classes.

What don't you understand about this?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Percentiles Ranked by AGI

AGI Threshold on Percentiles

Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid

Top 1% $343,927 36.73

Top 5% $154,643 58.66

Top 10% $112,124 70.47

Top 25% $66,193 87.30

Top 50% $32,396 97.75

Bottom 50%

I very rarely post in this forum, but were the last five pages seriously b****ing and moaning about teachers' salaries and unionization? Do the republicans here think that those issues greatly contribute to the debt? I'm genuinely curious and not trying to come off as a dick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)

Top 1% $343,927 36.73

Top 5% $154,643 58.66

Top 10% $112,124 70.47

Top 25% $66,193 87.30

Top 50% $32,396 97.75

Bottom 50%

http://taxfoundation.org/article/summary-l...come-tax-data-0

Not to mention that the top 1% has an average tax rate of 24%. The bottom 50%? 1.85% That would be about 13 times higher as an average tax rate. It is all bogus propaganda.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
http://taxfoundation.org/article/summary-l...come-tax-data-0

Not to mention that the top 1% has an average tax rate of 24%. The bottom 50%? 1.85% That would be about 13 times higher as an average tax rate. It is all bogus propaganda.

um.

no s*** more money comes from the rich than the poor. they make more and have more, and the chart you just posted is a red herring. it has nothing to do with tax rates, and how much is ACTUALLY PAID. If the top 1% actually PAID that 24% tax rate and didn't write it all off and find loopholes, then we wouldn't be in the financial crisis in which we find ourselves.

Sure their "average tax rate" is 24%, but they only actually pay a fraction of that. Too bad the middle and lower classes aren't privy to those same loopholes.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
I very rarely post in this forum, but were the last five pages seriously b****ing and moaning about teachers' salaries and unionization? Do the republicans here think that those issues greatly contribute to the debt? I'm genuinely curious and not trying to come off as a dick.

Teachers b****ing about their pay is what I find hard to believe.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
um.

no s*** more money comes from the rich than the poor. they make more and have more, and the chart you just posted is a red herring. it has nothing to do with tax rates, and how much is ACTUALLY PAID. If the top 1% actually PAID that 24% tax rate and didn't write it all off and find loopholes, then we wouldn't be in the financial crisis in which we find ourselves.

Sure their "average tax rate" is 24%, but they only actually pay a fraction of that. Too bad the middle and lower classes aren't privy to those same loopholes.

The bottom 50% is paying under 2%. What other "loopholes" are needed?

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)

Pensions are destroying the state of Illinois right now. They are a mess with unfunded obligations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
Pensions are destroying the state of Illinois right now. They are a mess with unfunded obligations.

and if the top 1% were paying their fair share in taxes, this wouldn't be the case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
The bottom 50% is paying under 2%. What other "loopholes" are needed?

also... it sounds as if you're suggesting the middle class should pay more taxes... how does your party feel about that position?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)

Top 1% $343,927 36.73

Top 5% $154,643 58.66

Top 10% $112,124 70.47

Top 25% $66,193 87.30

Top 50% $32,396 97.75

Bottom 50%

From the same link:

(3) The only tax analyzed here is the federal individual income tax, which is responsible for about 25 percent of the nation's taxes paid (at all levels of government). Federal income taxes are much more progressive than payroll taxes, which are responsible for about 20 percent of all taxes paid (at all levels of government), and are more progressive than most state and local taxes (depending upon the economic assumption made about property taxes and corporate income taxes).

So, almost half of the personal taxes that go to the U.S. Government (since there is no federal sales tax nor federal property tax) are payroll tax. In essence, this is being borne by only those who make 150k and less... just sayin'.

QUOTE (Zoogz @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
From the same link:

So, almost half of the personal taxes that go to the U.S. Government (since there is no federal sales tax nor federal property tax) are payroll tax. In essence, this is being borne by only those who make 150k and less... just sayin'.

hahahaha SS you were just called out.

gotta love pick'n'choose republicans. :)

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
If I were to make $1 million bucks, how much to you would be my 'fair share'?

well, if the average tax rate is around 24%, then about $240,000

Edited by Reddy

I'm not about to throw my support behind every part of the Democrat platform,

but I think the national income needs to be increased significantly. People will likely have to pay for this, and probably not just the super-rich

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)

but I think the national income needs to be increased significantly. People will likely have to pay for this, and probably not just the super-rich

true, but the super-rich paying their actual tax rate would help significantly.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)

I'm not following.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I'm not following.

how do you think the country makes money?

maybe there's a reason you don't think teachers matter.............. someone didn't pay attention in school

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Then why don't Illinois Democrats simply raise the taxes on the 1%, they control the state. That would fix everything.

I despise state governments....have no choice but to act to the contrary of the national good

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
Then why don't Illinois Democrats simply raise the taxes on the 1%, they control the state. That would fix everything.

i don't live in illinois man, i have no idea about the specifics of that state.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 2, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
how do you think the country makes money?

maybe there's a reason you don't think teachers matter.............. someone didn't pay attention in school

I'm not following why the national income has to be significantly increased.