• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
There is a simple and historically accurate reply here.

"Economics is not a morality play".

It doesn't matter whether you don't want your money going to bail out a homeowner, if that helps the economy its the right move.

Paying these mortgages is extremely destructive to the economy. It artificially raises home prices and keeps people out of the housing market. The market needs to fix it self, we do not need to pay off these mortgages. They can rent and allow other people a chance to be home owners. It's the whole "free money" problem that caused the housing bubble.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
How long could you afford your reasonably priced house if you lost your job for 2-4 years starting today? Would you just be another "dumbass?"

or if you lose your house because you can't afford the massive tax increase on it to pay some teacher 100K a year to work half the year.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
No, people shouldn't be rewarded for being stupid, but neither should banks...the point of this is to help those that were caught in-between the stupidity of both.

but those wall street bankers gave a lot of bribe money to Obama. The are entitled to a billion dollar bailout bonus.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
or if you lose your house because you can't afford the massive tax increase on it to pay some teacher 100K a year to work half the year.

Wow. The school year has been cut in half! No wonder we're falling behind in science and math.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Wow. The school year has been cut in half! No wonder we're falling behind in science and math.

Well, you are just going to accept it. Chicago teacher contract: work 5 hours a day, for only half the year, and get overpaid. Plus luxurious multimillion dollar pension. All while the hard working middle class of Chicago are removed from their homes, so the greedy elite can have more money. It's a very sad situation.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)

The first part of your statement aside, most of this is based on a false notion that the US was ever on top in science and math...and we never were. As a matter of fact, we were never even close.

This is a pretty good write up debunking this widely accepted educational myth: http://www.good.is/posts/debunking-educati...er-one-in-math/

We were never on top in neither math or science...not for a second, not ever in history.

What America was #1 in, however, was opportunity. And we still are. See Facebook for a recent reference. Or Amazon, etc...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
There is a simple and historically accurate reply here.

"Economics is not a morality play".

It doesn't matter whether you don't want your money going to bail out a homeowner, if that helps the economy its the right move. It doesn't matter whether you don't want your money going to bail out a wall street bank, if that saves the financial system its the right move. You can take steps to make things more moral if you'd like, but they can't prevent things from working.

If you want to apply morality? Great. Fix the system so wall street can't blow itself up.

It'd be great if the President followed that rule.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
People shouldn't be rewarded for being stupid. The banks shouldn't have been bailed out, and these idiots should have lost their homes. We're not talking about people 2 years away from owning their home outright. We're talking about idiots that took on a 30 ARM with a balloon payment a few years down the line that was way more than they could afford. They don't deserve to keep their home.

Your desire to see bad people punished, to make the economy a morality play hurts everyone.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Well, you are obviously a dumbass since you didn't read my part about having a program for people just like you mentioned.

edit: if you are asking me personally I can go about 2 years, maybe a little more. I planned ahead. In fact, I was out of work for almost 18 months and never missed a payment, because I planned ahead.

BALTA HE SAID ASS!

i'm serious i'm kind of pissed i got banned for the same s*** everyone else is doing.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
BALTA HE SAID ASS!

i'm serious i'm kind of pissed i got banned for the same s*** everyone else is doing.

Why are you trying to get other people into trouble all the time?

I don't think anyone on this forum has been banned more than I have.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:49 AM)
Why are you trying to get other people into trouble all the time?

I don't think anyone on this forum has been banned more than I have.

i'm not. i just want balta to respond to me, but for some reason he wont. he banned me because he doesn't like me, not because i said anything egregious. that's what i'm trying to point out. ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:50 AM)
i'm not. i just want balta to respond to me, but for some reason he wont. he banned me because he doesn't like me, not because i said anything egregious. that's what i'm trying to point out. ;)

Why wouldn't he like you? You're just so likable. If I was O'Reilly, you'd be my Jon Stewart. ;)

:wub:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
Your desire to see bad people punished, to make the economy a morality play hurts everyone.

By this logic there should never be bankruptcy, the gov't should just step in and pay everyone off. That's bunk and you know it. Morality has nothing to do with it, just like government should have nothing to do with fixing other people's egregious errors.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:02 AM)
Why wouldn't he like you? You're just so likable. If I was O'Reilly, you'd be my Jon Stewart. ;)

:wub:

hahaha yeah i know.

isn't it weird how internet personas develop? i think everyone's a little bit more of an ass online than they are in real life. lol

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
By this logic there should never be bankruptcy, the gov't should just step in and pay everyone off. That's bunk and you know it. Morality has nothing to do with it, just like government should have nothing to do with fixing other people's egregious errors.

Can you lay out in more detail how "the economy isn't a moral game" leads to "there should be no bankruptcies"

George Hamilton, err I mean Mitt Romney looked darker in front of a Latino audience.

mitt-brown-550x545.jpg

Did this doofus get a fake tan to "appeal" to Latino voters? SMH :angry:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/20/1...eak-to-Mexicans

Latino is a culture, not a race.

silvia-navarro-10.jpg

Mexican soap actress Silvia Navarro

gio.jpg

Mexican soccer player Giovanni Dos Santos

Romney won't attract more Latino votes by getting darker...Mexicans and all Latinos come in all colors.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
Can you lay out in more detail how "the economy isn't a moral game" leads to "there should be no bankruptcies"

If you're fine bailing out people who purposefully (or negligently) f*** up and lose everything and the only thing that matters is the economics, than you might as well get rid of the bankruptcy system and step in and pay for the employees of poorly run businesses to keep their jobs and for the businesses to continue operation because their net effect is probably more than the cost of helping them out. According to Balta, bailing out GM was actually a net positive, so why not extend that logic to every business? Why not pay off my student loans so I have more money to spend in other parts of the economy (which will eventually make more than the cost of paying off my loans)?